iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cat will start

Started by woodmills1, February 12, 2010, 08:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

got out there today and replaced the fusable link, one lug was a bit loose so maybe the burn out reason.  Cleaned all contacts and tighened it up.  cycled the glow plugs for 20 seconds and off, checked the link it was fine.  20 seconds off then 20 seconds on she fired right up. 8)

been having a feed problem, so took a look at the bottem rollers.  After loosening them, saw that they all had excessive up and down play.  Put the first two in and adjusted the mill to 1/16" high outside.  It fed forward and backward like it never has since I got it.  Put the other two in and checked again and all was well

Tell me why all 4 lower rollers should be bad on a mill with so few hours.

cut some junk to test....man now I know what you guys meant about feeding till the motor lugs with the 7's  even with a way junky blade it sped through some lumpy large red oak and I could pull the motor down but it kept going.....almost perfectly non wavy even with the junky blade that left track marks. I couldnt pull the engine down before the roller change without the blade running off.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: woodmills1 on February 12, 2010, 08:04:20 PM
Tell me why all 4 lower rollers should be bad on a mill with so few hours.
Do you tow your mill down the road much? Road grime kills the lower bearing on my mill.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodmills1

It got towed from NY to dracut mass then from dracut to my house thats it
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Chuck White

Every once in a while, I get under my mill with a rag and some solvent to
clean off the lower rollers as well as clean the bottom rail.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

Check the lower ground brush. If the hydraulic pump can not find a ground it will ground through the lower cam bearings causing them to fail. There is also a ground point in the hydraulic box.
Back to the ground brush, the first 6' of the lower rail needs to be clear of rust and paint. Clean with sand paper and lube with ATF

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

woodmills1

the rust/ground issue makes sense as this mill sat unused for quite awhile, I will check it out.  Thanks

petefrom bearswamp

My two year old WM mill w/ cat doesn't like to start at idle in cold weather.
I just shim the throttle to about 1/8  and it starts just fine.
I treat my diesel with a supplement every time i fill my 150 gal tank,
I am stationary.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

woodmills1

I used some sand paper today and found the first 6 feet crusty rusty.  should I also sand the rest of the lower track and clean the surface of the ground bar?

Thank You Sponsors!