iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine wood sap / Cooke Isle & Norfolk Pine

Started by kapuaa, March 19, 2016, 07:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kapuaa

Hi everyone,

My neighbor has a few cooke island pine log for me to mill. The larger of the bunch was dropped about two months ago. The other slightly smally one were just cut this week. I noticed a lot of sap build up on the larger one that has been sitting there for the last few months. The freshly cut ones look clean.

Will milling the log with the sap build up be ok? Will it gum up my blade?

I am running and older Lumbermate 2000 with a 26hp motor that I just bought used. I do have new blades for it but unsure of that type.

Looking for any info on sap and this type of wood. Even info on cutting the freshly cut logs.

Thank you,

Kaleo Puaa

Magicman

Aloha, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, kapuaa.  Of course I have never sawn Cook Island Pine but I would say that a good squirt (glug) of dish soap per gallon of water should take care of the sap problem.

I suppose that these are what you will be sawing?  Adding your location and sawmill to your profile always helps.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Hey.... My wife got of of those growing in our living room.
I never seen a big one before.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JustinW_NZ

We get them around here.
and they can be a bit sappy but as suggested, use something to keep things clean and its not a problem.

unless you get it on your hands.
it sticks and wont come off  :D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, kapuaa!

If it really gets sappy and the lube mix doesn't keep it all off, maybe try a spray bottle with a little diesel, but don't overdo it with the diesel.

If you get sap on your hands and it just will not clean up, try "mayonnaise", it really does work.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MikeBreaux

When I get sap on me handsanitiser does the trick.
Running a Woodmizer LT 40

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 20, 2016, 03:57:24 AM
Hey.... My wife got of of those growing in our living room.
I never seen a big one before.

Not much help on the sawing, although from what I've heard it cuts OK, just a bit sticky to handle when green.

To give you an idea of how big the tree can grow, this is a local one. My Great Gran used to live across the road, and said she was 2 years old when it was planted. It's a fair size now, at least 6 ft dbh.

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-39.1064385,173.9702647,3a,75y,311.58h,103.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGawjWFqYpJmPkgGneUuajA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It was hit by lightning about 20 years ago that killed the top ~20ft. The then owner had an arborist trim out the dead section, and it's grown a new leader since then, so it's still vigorous and growing.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kbeitz

Now thats a big tree.... Does it make good lumber ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!