iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing crotch walnut question

Started by Larry, December 17, 2004, 04:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Tagerts_crossing

I have 30-40 crotches mostly walnut and cherry and a few oak, hickory, poplar.  My questions are can they be used for turning blanks and if so should I sell green or dry first. ( I can only air dry)  If not for blanks should I dry before selling.  Only sold a few boards in the past and dont have any markets for the figured stuff.  Have any of you had any luck with selling the shorter stuff on ebay?  The longer boards would probably be too high to ship but shorts may work out.  Thanks for any info, John.
John Schoolcraft

TomFromStLouis

My limited experience on eBay is not encouraging for walnut crotch blanks. You might actually get a decent $/bf price, but the effort in cutting, coating (need not be dry for turners), listing, selling, and shipping outweighed the $ for me. Might be best to cut (rip in half) and coat and let them sit until you do find a buyer.  Make sure you get the pith out and they'll keep.

As a woodworker, I like to use them for panels in raised panel doors and sides, so I cut them a little longer than just the figuring (~3' long). If you want to air some for this purpose, 4/4 - 8/4 or even thicker would be okay, except the buyer will prefer dry.

Thank You Sponsors!