iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Stihl carb or Warblo carb?

Started by ihookem, June 08, 2010, 07:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ihookem

have a Stihl 026 that runs terrible. I got it back from the dealer 2 weeks ago and runs as bad, maybe worse. I called a different  dealer and asked how much for a new carb. He said 80 bucks with tax. Is the Stihl carb as good or should I go with the Warblo 194-1 ?

Al_Smith

How do you know it's the carb ? Could be any number of things,seals boot ,ignition .

As far as carbs,Stihl doesn't make them Walbro does . As far as buying them ,fine from a dealer if you like paying 50 percent more than other places .

My book shows a Walbro WT 22B but I suppose they could have used another model .

Now other than the chincy Zama carbs on Stihl MS 200T's seldom if ever does a normal carb ever need more than a good cleaning and new kit installed .The kits are like 10 bucks a pop . The instructions are on the internet of how too .

Fact is I just 45 minutes ago rebuilt a carb on a J-red 525 ,Must have taken me 15-20 minutes from start to having it in the wood running .Runs great too I do say so myself . 8)

Rocky_J

I have never had any luck rebuilding carbs, despite what Uncle Al says. And I consider myself somewhat above average when it comes to turning wrenches. I've junked too many saws that in hindsight only needed a new carb, after my failed attempts at rebuilding the old carb. I no longer even bother attempt rebuilding the carbs on the Stihl 200T, just cough up the $100 for a new one and back to work in 10 minutes.

Stihl has used many different carbs on most models over the years. Some were better than others. Stihl sold the 026 for several years with a fixed jet carb that wasn't adjustable without disassembling and replacing the main jet with a different size (at $5 a pop, special order). If only I had just bought an older version carb that was fully adjustable then I might still have that saw today. Unfortunately it committed suicide by jumping out of my hands from about 40' up in a tree.  :-\

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Rocky_J on June 08, 2010, 08:53:19 PMjust cough up the $100 for a new one and back to work in 10 minutes.

Must be nice to be rich :o. Carbs are simple to rebuild if you take your time and pay attention to the details IMO.

Rocky_J

I don't buy many of them, the last one was about 2-3 years ago. I'm more about preventative maintenance in order to avoid carb problems as much as possible. Clean fuel from a reputable and stable source, the best synthetic mix oil I can buy, store fuel in a high quality sealed container away from moisture and wide temperature swings, strict adherence to disposing of old or questionable fuel, regular cleaning of the air filter and extra careful to keep dirt and crud out of the fuel tank when refueling.

I still lose a carb once in a while due to ethanol though. The last one was on my HT101 pole pruner and I decided to drop it off at the dealer rather than tackle it myself. They swapped it out under warranty (even though I was 3 weeks past a year) and it didn't cost me a dime.

ladylake

Have to agree, carbs are simple to take apart and clean, most times kits aren't needed.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

joe_indi

Quote from: ihookem on June 08, 2010, 07:58:37 PM
have a Stihl 026 that runs terrible.

Why the carb change?

Could you be more specific on the 'terrible'

Joe

SawTroll

Some times the problem is the carb model they put on the saw in question that is the main problem, and not that it is screwed up in some way.

Afaik, both Walbro and Zama carbs have been involved in such issues.
Information collector.

ihookem

Well, I looked at the repair of my 026 and they took the carb apart and changed some screen and also cleaned some other screen and replaced something else. He also adjusted the carb. Like I said it still ran bad. If I let it idle for 2 seconds it would die, but just before it would die I'd pump the throttle and would bog a few times and them be ok again till idle. So, I thought what the heck, find out how the tech adjusted the carb. I turn the L screw in all the way, but it only goes in 1/2 turn. HUH? I know it should be about 1-1 1/4 turn out or so. I adjusted it out 1 turn and couldn't believe how well the saw ran. It idled perfect for several minutes. I gave it the gas and the rpm's were real high. It screamed and didn't hesitate when going to WOT. It was much like my 034 except a little smaller. I watched it idle for several minutes as it rattled around the garage floor. I'm happy, and I'm going to cut some wood to give it a test. I don't know why the tech had it 1/2 turn out. Might have been a Friday night before a hot date or something huh. He did take apart the carb though and must have cleaned it or something. Thanks, I will get back in a day or so after cutting some wood.

jteneyck

I'm not saying dealers are all bad, in fact, there's one (and only one) tech. at a local Stihl/Shindaiwa dealer I trust with anything, except my wife, but your story is a great reason to learn to do your own maintenence/repairs whenever you can.  Carbs are about the easiest thing to clean and change diaphrams, etc. on.  And if you live in an area with alchohol fuel you will likely face this issue every few years unless you drain the tank and run the saw dry every time you use it.  OK, forget what I said if you're a pro making your living with your equipment.  In that case, it probably makes more sense to let the dealer handle anything beyond changing the filters.  But if you're a non-pro like some of us, your time is cheap and you can afford to spend more of it on your saw than you might be willing to pay a dealer to do.  A carb kit, by the way, takes 30 minutes, max. to install on most carbs.  And at $10 it's almost a no-brainer whenever there's a question if it could be the problem.  

Al_Smith

Here's another thing often over looked and in fact what I did this afternoon .

Often times the atmospheric vent side of the diaphragm will suck in fine dust and restrict the movement of the diaphragm .This cuts down on how far it can pulsate and thus pump fuel .

Well low and behold I had one of my favorite saws take a fit on me and that was exactly what had happened .Using a souped up 038 Mag to carve out a stump,running close to the ground with the air box it sucked dust and dirt and it plugged that thing tight as  a bulls butt at fly time . Didn't hurt the saw ,it would just die on the vine when you gave it the gas, it just couldn't pump it .

ihookem

Well, after 5 yrs I went and took my 026 in for a repair. Don't know what they did to it for sure but it sure cuts wood now. I think part of the reason is I don't think the chain was sharpened quite right, like they used a file that was too big. It sure is a nice saw now and my favorite cause it is so light and not so aggressive . I am doing it for a living for a while cause it is for a customer in my carpenter business. I also love getting payed to cut my own firewood ;D. I think I need to keep my air filter cleaner and chain sharp as can be. When I ran the saw I thought of this old thread and How this guy named Windthrown loves his 026's. Later guys.

CR888

Good to hear you are up and running again. While a chain that's not sharp can cause some issues, l doubt it was responsible for the symptoms you previously described. You should find out what they did to fix it lMO. Anyhow an 026 is well worth fixing and returning to service. I think you should download the Carlton filing guide/handbook PDF and read it. Buy yourself a spare chain or two and some files and a depth gauge file and become good at filling your own chains. Its too easy to hit a nail or rock or dirt and a pita to have to take chains to a dealer just for sharpening. I think most 026/260's had standard 3/8 chain but some went out the door with .325 as well. Being able to quickly touch up your chain will keep you on the job earning money you need.

SawTroll

Carb trouble is way too common on the 026/260, and the carbs generally were too small (12.7 to 13.5mm venturi).

At least make sure you have one with the larger venturi, that also is fully adjustable.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!