iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 WIDE

Started by John S, June 16, 2017, 08:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Is anyone here milling with the new LT40 WIDE?  I am thinking about upgrading from LT40HDG28 to a wide with the Yanmar 35hp and am looking for reviews.  I am not concerned about the limited reach of the debarker, just curious about the performance of the mill.  Thanks.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

tawilson

I got one last week with the 35hp gas engine. My first mill so I don't have anything to compare it to. But I  love it.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

tawilson

It has cut nice boards even with my rookie mistakes, like forgetting to tighten the blade. The only waves I've gotten are from trying different speeds to see how fast I can push it. And that was from hitting knots. The next knotty log I put on I'll slow it down to see how it does.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Darrel

Wide is something I'm also interested in learning more about. I think I can see a new mill in my future and I'm thinking wide. I can't tell you how many times I've needed just a little bit more. I'm sure if I did go wide, there would be times that I needed just a bit more, but I'm also sure that it wouldn't be nearly as often.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

John S

Yes, I had a job this week where the extra six inches would have saved lot of chainsaw cuts and blade backing out, but as you (Darrell) mentioned the same could happen to a WIDE with a larger log.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

woodworker9

I've gotten to a point where the extra 6" wouldn't be enough.  I love my LT40, but I have passed on quite a few logs because they were just too big, and now the source of logs is upset because I'm not taking what he has to get rid of, so to keep the relationship going, I'm going to take them, keep them up off the ground, sealed well, and figure out what to do next.

I see a sawmill build in my future, more along the lines of 60" capacity.  I can't afford to plunk down the $$$$$$$ big money it would cost for a commercially made saw to do that. 
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

jmouton

we are hopefully buying a new mill within a year and we are definitly getting the wide option,,needed it in the past alot,,,make bigger slabs for tables and such,,,bigger is better right??

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

4x4American

I think that the "wide" should just be the standard.  I also think that on the wide models they should have longer side supports to handle the bigger logs.  Because trying to square up a large log with alligator arms is difficult. 
Boy, back in my day..

AdamT

I pick up my new Wide 40 Thursday morning. It will have the 35 HP yanmar.
Being an existing WM owner I got the discount that pretty much paid for the wife head option. Looking forward to it. Been without my own mill for too long.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Magicman

Quote from: AdamT on June 18, 2017, 09:34:44 PMI got the discount that pretty much paid for the wife head option.
I need that option to keep my wife's head straight.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

MM, I was wondering about that also!!!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Darrel

Hey AdamT, let us know how that wife head option works out for you. :D
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

Kinda like; "I know that you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you think that you read is not what I meant." 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

With discounts she will save you right into the poor house. ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thechknhwk

How much is that option, do you have to upgrade to new wife?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all keep on and your gonna all be in the po house.

popcorn_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 19, 2017, 08:49:04 PM
Y'all keep on and your gonna all be in the po house.

popcorn_smiley

IDK, I think with the wide option it enables folks to sell $400 slabs instead of measely $300 ones  ;)
Boy, back in my day..

AdamT

Hahahaha! Gotta love autocorrect on an iPhone. 

Unfortunately my "wife head" has cost me more in the long run than the discount given by woodmizer. But well worth the extra cost!!!

2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

jmouton

i will sure try to get more for slabs,,    ,4x4...  i know you were not talking about us but we sell some big slabs for 300 also,,so 400 it is, wider is better
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Here are some pictures at the last show.

We found this little Walnut crotch piece in the burn pile.  ;).

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

4x4American

Looks good, is that Barry?  Hard to see on my phone in the sun .. the caption under the first picture should say still not wide enough lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

John S

Hey Marty, is that a standard (non-super) LT40 with the Yanmar 35hp?
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good pictures Marty. Thanks
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Barry does get around, 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

AdamT

Picked up my new Wide 40 last Thursday. Man is it sweet! It's quite an upgrade from my old mill. There's a computer screen just for the engine that tells me a bunch of stuff like RPMs, fuel pressure, fuel temp etc etc. it even tells me the barometric pressure. The guy giving me the demo said it's new and the first one he has seen.

The debarker is useless. I sawed a bunch of sassafras logs I had accumulated and the debarker won't touch probably an 18" log when making your opening face of 4 to 6". I called WM and they are working on a retro fit to fix the problem. I was told it will be able to debark down to a 12" log. There is a matching bolt pattern that allows you to move the debarker over, however it won't pull back enough to let you saw those wide logs to fit between the rollers.
So for now I will just wait for the new kit.

Accuset 2 is awesome. I'm glad I made that upgrade over simpleset. And the remote station is great. No more sawdust blowing on you all day.

2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

AdamT

2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

AdamT

Also they moved the blade engage toggle switch from the left side to the right. I'm not used to that and keep trying to use my left hand to engage.

Nor am I used to the hydraulic controls being right there. I've caught my self multiple times reaching for the hydraulic box only to realize "duh, they're not there anymore!"

And I will admit, I have tried to take a step forward when the head started moving down the rail!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

Bruno of NH

Great looking mill
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thechknhwk

That is very nice, congrats.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Darrel

That orange paint just gets purdier and purdier! 

Congratulations!
1992 LT40HD

prittgers

Just a little note on the waving.  One of the more experienced support guys at Wood-Mizer helped me understand that drive belt tension is a BIG factor in porpoising and diving.  Obviously, blade set and tooth sharpness is important. 

The deal is that when the teeth encounter a particularly hard section, the horizontal blade speed slows.  With all that power, the drive assembly tries to keep up, but the main drive belt can slip.

Which ever side has a better set or sharper teeth at that time has an advantage.  The result is the 'waving' you see, particularly at knots.

Hope this helps.  Enjoy your Wood-Mizer.  It's not the only band mill out there - but it's the BEST!

Parker in Alaska

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Darrel on June 29, 2017, 12:45:55 AM
That orange paint just gets purdier and purdier! 

Congratulations!

I wish that were so. ::)

Cool mill AdamT.  Congrats!
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

fishpharmer

Great looking mill AdamT!  I especially like the engine monitoring gauge.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

John S

Good luck with your mill.  It looks like you came pretty close to getting a Super!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Brian C.

Sweet mill AdamT. Maybe someday..............until then we keep on pushing. (LT25 manual)

Deere80

Nice mill but also a sweet looking Pete in the shop also.
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

scully

Wide is the new Orange , and that's all I have to say about that.......
I bleed orange  .

Thank You Sponsors!