iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good or Bad idea??? 20' extension for LT-15

Started by Piston, August 25, 2010, 05:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

What do you think?  I have a cousin that is a welder and runs a nice shop about 2 hrs from me.  I was thinking of having him build me a 20' extension for the lil LT15. 
Some ideas to knock around:
20' solid extension (yes would be VERY heavy)
Weld a toungue on the front for towing, and bolt on axle/springs for trailering?

This way I could have the saw head on the 20' exension and basically have a mobile mill, making it easier to go from A to B.  I could weld some heavy duty levelers (like those trailer tounge jacks on heavy duty trailers) or something to that effect on each corner, and maybe two in the middle if needed???

This way not only would the mill become portable, but also with the current extensions I have i could mill up to about 35'.  I wonder if there is any sort of market for this long of a log around me? 

The major problem here would obviously be getting the UP on the mill.  At the house it wouldn't be a problem because I could build an elevated log deck, and load up the log deck with the tractor.  However going mobile with it would be a problem, although something could be rigged up  ;)

Just kicking around some ideas, I have been thinking of doing this for a while.  I really have no idea how much it would be for steel but it has to be cheaper than the $100 a foot that woodmizer is getting right? 

So do you think this is a bad/good idea?  I just saw on another forum (arboristsite maybe?) that someone bought the steel for a 16' extension for under $400.  I don't know what he bought exactly because he didn't specify, that was last year as well.  If I could build something for $1000 or so I would do it in a heart beat.  That wouldn't be including the trailer kit or anything like that.  Also How would you rig up the leveling legs and log dogs?  I would guess a good welder/fabricator could think something up.

I've looked at some of the homemade extensions on here but didn't see anything like I'm thinking of.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

fishpharmer

Don't see why you can't make an extension as long as you like.
Making it with a tongue and wheels would be a plus. There are other members that have pics of the looong lt 15 at Perkinston, MS, just wanted share it here.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Longer mills have a much heavier/stronger frame.  When you stretch out a mill that wasn't designed as such, frame flex could be an issue.  Set up permanently, this can easily be overcome, but portable?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

carykong

I echo the Majicman.  Portability and extending the length of your cutting bed are two separate challanges.  If you really desire portability,I would buy a mill that is designed for that task and then adapt extensions for your portable mill. good luck.

Piston

I didn't think about the frame flex thing, pretty good point.  Maybe I'd be better off just making an extension and plan on not moving it around too much, but when I do need to move it I could just use the trailer like I do now. 

Although I would think if I put enough stabilizers on it (maybe even 4 on each side) it would be pretty stiff, however I really don't have a NEED to do this :D 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Meadows Miller

Gday

Why not there should be a market for loongish stuff you could even knock out afew dovetail cabins and flog em on the cheap if you have abit of spare time Mate  ;)

asfar as a 20' why stop there my old Jonsered 6000+ started life with a 20' (2 section) over all length with a piffy lite 3x1 1/2 tube frame we fixed that buy welding two heavy 4x2 tube  20's under that for shifting that as a portable i use to just lft the lite end up and swing about 3' of the lenght of the track into the 6x10 tandem trailer then push the head unit up into the trailer over balancing it  then a good shove slid the whole mill into the trailer for trnasport  ;)

That mill ended up having another two 18 or 20 dead sections added to each end and the longest i milled with it from memory was around 55' i think  :P  :D mills that size can take abit of a beating on long heavy stuff but if you beef em up abit they cope well  aslong as your not a ruff nut with it Mate ;) :D ;D 8)

Heres whats left of My First Bandmill sitting on the #2 carriage after some low life stole the head unit when i was 20  :o :o :) :( >:( it served me well for 4 odd years even though it got called a sweedish piza crappola more than afew times it only had a 2095 csaw powering it   ;) :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

tyb525

Use your original frame as a stationary, and have the 20' made portable and extra-heavy duty. When you wanna go portable, just roll the head off the stationary onto the portable. If ya need to saw extra-long stationary, just temporarily hook the two together.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Piston

Quote from: Meadows Miller on August 25, 2010, 12:53:13 PM
Gday

Why not there should be a market for loongish stuff you could even knock out afew dovetail cabins and flog em on the cheap if you have abit of spare time Mate  ;)

Regards Chris

Chris, You have the most enthusiastic posts, every time I read them I get a good laugh out of your use of smiley's... 8)

Tyb: Good idea with only taking the 20' section portable. 

I was also thinking that with such a long bed I would be able to mill 2 logs at once, one right after the other as mentioned in other posts.  Although I'm pretty sure I would lose concentration and mess up one of the two logs  :D

-Matt

bandmiller2

Matt,its is much easier to handle long stuff at your mill site than on the road,you can't depend on equipment at various sites.That long stuff can be a bear to handle and turn with a manual mill.I'd have the extensions made, and set up and well supported at your mill site.If someone wants that long stuff let them bring them to you where they can be handled easier.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

D Hagens

Quote from: fishpharmer on August 25, 2010, 07:07:35 AM

Don't see why you can't make an extension as long as you like.
Making it with a tongue and wheels would be a plus. There are other members that have pics of the looong lt 15 at Perkinston, MS, just wanted share it here.

Wow! Very cool!  :)

Warren

Piston,

I had 4 frame sections for my LT15 to be able to saw up to 24ft.  If you use the factory sections, you will need to block up / level up about each section.  If you use 20 ft sticks of reasonable heavy wall stock, you could probably get away with levelers on each end, and maybe one set in the middle.  Or try a pair set back from each end, so that the middle set may not be necessary.

Keep in mind, the LT15 head takes up about 32" of track.  If you really want to cut 20 ft length on a  separate portable frame, you may want to start with 24ft sticks of tubing...

There is not a lot that can not be done on an LT15 with a little time, a little labor, and a little ingenuity...

Good luck with your project...

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Carpenter

I'm sure there would be a market for the longer stuff in Massachussetts.  There are a lot of timberframers in the state.  And, you should have the trees long enough to make that happen.  I think it's a great idea. 

Meadows Miller

Gday

Piston Thanks Mate  ;D ;D 8) 8)  I try  ;) ;D and you have to be enthusiastic get a laugh outa life  don't you   ;) :D :D Ive already had a couple of very close calls over the years to remind me that every day you gets special so you might aswell have abit of fun with it hey Mate   ;) :D :D  ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!