iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Kiln 1/2 Scale

Started by GeneWengert-WoodDoc, January 24, 2016, 08:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

This weekend, my grandson (8 years) and I built a solar heated lumber dry kiln (Virginia Tech design obviously).  This half scale model is 2' x 5' floor and a 45 slope with a 18" front wall; it is for a class I am teaching this May about building your own kiln.  We are waiting for warmer weather (60s on this Tuesday) so we can paint the inside of the kiln black and do the painting outside and not smell up the house.  It is amazing how kids understand the basics...he said that this kiln is heated just like a closed car is in the summer and a black car is hotter, so that is why we use black paint on the inside.  (Grandpa is bragging a bit; my grandson does love to build things with wood and Legos.0.) 

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

davemartin88

Nice work!

I made a kiln with this design about 15 years ago with solar powered fans. I moved about 6 years ago and gave it to a friend of mine, it's still going strong! A lot of board feet of wood has been made using this design, thanks for sharing.

WDH

Great way to spend quality time with your grandson. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cbla

Nice! I hope to build a little bigger version soon.

Tree Dan

Nice project Gean,
That will be handy for the small boards.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

samandothers

Thank You Sponsors!