iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proper stacking and drying of lumber outdoors.

Started by Aeneas61, February 17, 2016, 03:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeneas61

Hello all,
Very new to sawmilling my own lumber, have a question;

I will be sawing and air drying lumber in the next week. What is the best way to stack and prepare wood for outdoor air drying?

My local sawmill has stacks of wood stacked outdoors, stickered, but with no protection over top, much has sat this way for years and seems fine, is this only because it is kiln dried first? Do I need to sticker it and cover with metal roofing or a tarp?

Welcome all experiences.
Josh

OlJarhead

Aeneas?  As in WA State?  If so we're neighbors.

I stack and sticker all my lumber and then cover it with a tarp but try not to cover the sides so air can move through the stack -- the tarp keeps the rain off so it won't rot the wood.

Can't say about wood laying about for years but to me it would get checked, warped and rotted so no way I'd do that.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

beenthere

If the stacks of lumber have been un-covered for years, then the top layers will be rotted and on down through the center of the stack. Kiln drying won't protect from that rot.

As said, cover the top with something waterproof. Add low grade boards to the top for weight if nothing else, but protect from becoming wet.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Need a good level foundation. I need to take mine own advice.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Check AIR DRYING of LUMBER...it is on the Internet
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YellowHammer

Lots of good tips for air drying are in publications on the web and in this Forum.  However, a few notables are
Flat ground.
Stickers every 2 foot or less
Covered area or covered stacks
Wood stacked as high as possible for weight
Dry spot with good breeze
Sides open to allow airflow
Stacks 18 inches apart or more

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Use quality stickers.  That means dry and uniform. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OlJarhead

On my property I level some ground with my box blade and put pallets down for a base, then sticker, stack and sticker until it's about 4 feet tall.  Then sticker the top, add cover and weight it down.

Peter Drouin

This works for me.
But the goat has a better place for wood. Maybe he can get some pics for us. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

Some day!  Some day!  But for now I'm happy just getting the mill upgrade!

Peter Drouin

With the new mill you will buildings all over the place soon. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!