iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Retirement

Started by jerry-m, February 01, 2005, 10:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry-m

I know retirement to most people means just kicking back and doing all those things you have been puting off all these years... Like catching up on your hobbies.. Starting a new project, traveling...Sleeping in whenever you want too, whatever...

I really thought I would have plenty of time for what ever I wanted to do... Some of my hobbies ( or whatever you want to call them) were fishing, metal detecting, woodworking, And yes sawmilling with my oneman mill building barns, cabins, decks, piers on a small lake, & even building storage buildings to sell as that had been something I did in my spare time when still working for the man... I always thought about gold prospecting when I retired, also going down close to the coast and living the life of a beachcomer for awhile...

Too many dreams, so little time, so little money, But Mainly, and I Think This is My Number One Problem ----- I spend too much time on this Computor----

OOh well its a new day, so what to do to day... It raining don't want to get wet, also plenty cold for this east texas weather being damp and all  so better to stay inside, go to the mall, watch a movie, or play games on here, search the Foresty Forum for the lasted News... Yea Thats It, I'll just put off those real jobs and think about it tomorrow...  Hey I know Let's Go over to Sheveport La. too Bass Pro Shop and dream about fishing, hunting, boating, and other outdoor sports...

Ahh, Yes its Great to be Retired,    Jerry
Jerry

DanG

I feel your "pain," Jerry. ;D :D  My last day of "work" was a year ago, yesterday.  I took an early out, so I have to bring in a little something to supplement my greatly reduced pension check, but I don't have to work full time at it.  I usually loll about the house till late morning, drinking coffee and spending some time with Linda, then get out and put in 4 or 5 hours at the mill or some project.  It is a great life!  I feel guilty if a day goes by without some sort of accomplishment, but it doesn't take much to assuage the guilt. ;D  For instance, Sunday I built and hung a little 4' gate for a new fence I'm putting in. Took only about an hour, and I could feel good about myself for the rest of the day. :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tnlogger

yes sir  :D sitting back and kicking up dem feet is all right . i just havn't found a way to do it and see the putor screen and type ;D yet. I is waiting for planting season to get here so i can start on that little plot i got.
i talked to that son of mine yesterday,told him i would come out and run that there homemade skidder of his few sonething ta do. Well now i'll tell ya that durn boy he done said pa i'd lets ya but ya see ya charge way to much . why shoot all i wanted was a bag a grits,a grounds hog, and a coupls of them possiums to cook. mmmmmmm might gets by with just one possium.
gene
gene

DanK

;DLikewise I took an early retirement about two years ago.  I find it more difficult to get things acomplished.  How did I ever get anything done when I was still working ???.  On the other hand I did help Build a new house last year.  Put in most all of the ceramic and wooden floors and painting the walls.  Contractor let me be the saw man with the framing crew. (Young what nots  :-* :-* :-*that they were)  Real sight me being the go for for three guys all less than half my age.  I made it through and really enjoyed the acomplishment.

Also went twice to Chair camp down in Ohio.  Made two windsor chairs.  Been working on getting a few logs (for splitting into spindles, arms and bows) and wide 8/4 planks ofr seat blanks.  Just having trouble getting started making some on my own.

Also built a nice pole barn for the shop to do all this in. 

Guess I do get some things done just need to keep enjoying each day and appreciate the freedom I do have to select what I make my priorities.

Thanks for the pep talk.
All you retirees, hang in. ;D ;D

DanK
Dan Keane

jerry-m

Yes Feeling Good About Youself each Day is what it is all about,,,  I mean like, you accomplished something worthwhile today...

Working for you son or other relative is good, just don't do it too often ;D ;D   

I aiways try to help out others, being friends or relatives or whoever sometime much to my regret :-\  Well not really...  Like yesterday I decided to travel over to Bass Pro Shop in Shevesport La....  Stopped at Tractor Supply in Marshall Tx...  Thet had a Diesel Diamond Alum. Fuel tank marked down to $75.00 as is... Tag said a leak somewhere along one of the welds... Just find the leak and have it welded and have a $400 tank ;D  Now my new soninlaw who is trying to get established in the dirt work business needs a tank real bad...
Well I need to make a few extra $'s also but I dont want my youngest daughter back home, so I did the right thing and bought the tank for him/her... And he even came by to day and paid me what I paid so I am even :o  No, just kidding, He is a very responable  person and Our family are very luckey to have him as a member :)    Jerry
Jerry

DanG

We're on the same page, Jerry. ;)  Most of the "offspring-in-laws" have their value, if only to keep their spouses from moving back in with us. ;D  We have a couple that fall into that category, but several that are real assets to our little clan. 

On the subject of daily accomplishments, I'm having a rough time doing that today. :-\  Everything I can think of to do involves outdoor activity of some sort or another, and it is just too DanG miserable to get out there.  Cold and rainy.  It ain't that I ain't able to deal with that, but I just don't have anything pushing me hard enough to send me out there. Here it is almost 4pm and I haven't stuck a toe outside the door.   Now, I could start to work on my taxes, but I would be breaking a long-standing tradition of starting about 9pm on April 15, then racing to the post office to get it in by 11:59:45!  Doing it now would just take all the fun out of it.  Besides, when I get my little refund check in June or July, I'm always glad I didn't get it earlier and blow it on rent & groceries. Always manage to find a use for it. ;D  How's that for some fancy PR work?  (PR=procrastination and rationalization)  ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!