iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is retirement

Started by terry f, April 08, 2012, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fat olde elf

Great stuff !!
For over 50 years I had to show up somewhere on time, usually 8:00 AM or earlier. I also paid into Social Security for those years. Today I do not have to be anywhere at 8:00 AM and I get an electronic deposit at the credit union each month from Social Security. I always dreamed about pulling Social Security and still working at the same time. As many others have mentioned I found myself in a situation that was too good to pass up and "retired" at 64.
Several life-changing experiences had equipped me for retirement. One of my sponsees says that I am the happiest retired guy he has ever seen. I can't argue with that.  Some of that happiness comes from being able to make sawdust and subsequently being able to share my experience, strength and hope with friends on the Forum. Say your prayers 
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

trapper

my last day of work was on a friday and i started my fall trapping on saturday.  Had I been still working I would have normally started a months vacation at that time.  So begining retirement was in step with my normal year.  I started retirement 6 months earlier than I planed because of a work upheavel started by the company which ended up with a buyout for about 400 of us. Was always worried if I could afford being retired and am pleasently suprised.
not rich but comfortable.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DanG

I retired at 57, three years earlier than I had planned.  I really enjoyed my job for the first 30 years, but in the last 4, the poultry droppings got to be more than I could stand.  I timed my departure to coincide with the payoff of our mortgage.  Being free, debt-free, and in good health for five years was fantastic.  Now, being free, up to my eyeballs in med debt and in mediocre health is still fantastic.  I think it has something to do with "free."   ;D 8) 8) 8)   oops, I think I may have pulled a muscle there.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

terry f

I like the "being able to do what you want to do when you want to do it" and "six saturdays in a week" answers. When I'm on vacation, every night is friday night and every day is saturday, until it really is, thats when I know my vacation is over. MHineman, great story, we should all be so lucky.

thecfarm

WDH, is right. I'm in hopes that I won't have to go back to work for someone else besides the wife.   :D :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

And you will have a good Boss.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OneWithWood

WDH nailed it.  I would only add that you know you are truly retired when you don't know what day of the week it is and you don't care  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Stephen1

I was told it is when you are wondering it is time for you to get a day off. :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Woodchuck53

I enjoyed reading all of the post and have a couple things to add.
I have  always worked. The family farm, local sawmills and all manner of odd jobs because of our large family. I enjoyed all of it. A freind asked me what I would do if I won the lottery. I quickly replied I would farm till I ran out of money.
I have been fortunate to work a job since 1972 where I had half the month off and a vacation too! I still work a 14 and 14 schedule and enjoy 2 weeks off a year. Great stuff. I know how blessed I was to be able to do this. And 3 years for Uncle Sam.
I am blessed with the same woman to day I fell in love with 37 years ago and we are both healthy, I had always said if I could live to 65 and brush my own teeth and clean my own rear then I figured that was a good run. Well now that I am closer to 60 than 30 I have looked at that staement a little closer.
All the things my coworkers fuss about I do as a hobby. I like to weld and mechanic. I have a few machine tools and a nice wood shop and build all my own stuff. I am currently trying to finish a rebuild on the old mill. I plan on doing this for the rest of my days.
The only thing retirement will mean to me is that I will be able to sleep in my bed every night and after being gone all over the states and the world working that means a lot to me. Can't wait for the next phase to start. Stay safe.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

maple flats

I've had a job since I was 7, yes 7. My dad had a trucking business and sold top soil. My job was to keep the surface of the topsoil pile roto tilled. Then at 10 I got a paper route, which lasted 5 years. Then I became the custodian of my church and also mowed the cemetary of another church. I worked full time thru college, and was married the fall of my senior year. After that I worked for others for 7 years and then was self employed the rest. At age 51 I decided to retire and sold my business, BUT after just 3 weeks I decided I couldn't stand being a "man of liesure" even though I had 4.5 acres of blueberries to tend, so I got a job driving school bus. That still left me with too much free time so I started producing maple syrup. Building the sugarhouse got me into a sawmill. Now I have added a few acres of fruit trees and berry bushes to compliment my u-pick blueberry farm. I have also grown to over 1100 maple taps with plans to add another 1500 or so before halting the growth. This maple season my wife (of 45 years) said we should build a much bigger sugarhouse (we are now 16 x 24 we're thinking 24 x 36, with a cellar under part for cool storage.
We are too old to be doing all this, but we are enjoying every part of it. When we tire of one thing we have several others to do.
Retire, likely not in the near future, I enjoy everything I do. I hope to be like my dad. He retired at 62, but then worked in the woods until he was 87. Yes 87, still felling trees and bucking firewood, almost every day. He had a hydraulic wood splitter but didn't use it. He said he could split faster by a maul and wedges. At 86 and 87 he was felling, bucking, splitting, transporting and stacking about 25 full cord a year, all cut at 16". He finally died at age 91. 
I don't want to retire again until and unless health becomes an issue. At 65 I still find that many in their 20's and 30's  that I hire con't keep up with me.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

pigman

QuoteHe finally died at age 91.
See, if he  hadn't worked so hard he would have lived to be really old. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

I worked two good (read younger) men into the ground yesterday.  This old "retired" man still has a bit of kick in his "giddy up go".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

August 31st is when I retire from the Navy with 26 years total military time.
Then I start work as a cabinet and furniture maker, with a full-time job of finishing building our log home. I'll never get finished working on all the stuff I want to do, at least not before age 90. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

PC-Urban-Sawyer

CLWW,

Thank you for your years of dedicated service to our country.

Congratulations on your forthcoming retirement from Active Duty. We all know a Chief never really retires, he just gets to the point where he doesn't have to be at Quarters to take Division Muster every day. But someone will always be looking for him (or her, since there's plenty of female Chiefs now days...) to "Ask the Chief" one more question.

If you ever get down to the Floriday Panhandle, give me a shout in a PM and we'll get together for one more Liberty Call...

Herb

clww

I was in Pensacola about 6 weeks ago for 2 weeks, PC.
Thank you for the well-wishes.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

clww,must be counting the days?  I want to thank you too for serving our great country.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodchuck53

Best wishes man and thank you for your time and sacrifice.                                      I hope not clww. My dad is 85 this past march and doesn't think about slowing down. His mom was 88 and still driving till the stroke. So stay active (sounds like you have plenty to do) and eat better and who knows you may retire again. Stay safe, Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!