iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM LT-10

Started by dgdrls, February 04, 2012, 05:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Well thanks to my Wife, some great wisdom from my Mum and to all the fine folks here on FF I decided to re-evaluate my plan and I ended up back where I began, I took delivery of a new WM LT-10 yesterday. 10 H.P. Motor, 5 extra bands and WM added a Cant Hook to the deal as a good gesture. 

The Lad and I started to build the bed today and I will be looking at a little bit of grading on the side of the house to get a solid level spot.
I plan on putting base timbers below the mil (even though the new 10 doesn't require it) to elevate the bed some.

Bed going together

Working at it slowly and deliberately,    I have a half dozen locust and a black walnut already in the que to be cut.
(No rush they're not on the ground yet )  My son indicated his bud's father is already looking to me to saw some Spruce or Hemlock.

Thank-you to the fine folks here on the forum.

Best DGDrls

Dan

samandothers

Do keep some pictures coming.  I look forward to hearing your feedback and the things you run into and have to consider as you set up and start to saw.  I will help some of us that are a bit further behind you in the procurement department.

What type of locust?  I'd like to see the locust once you cut it. We have a lot of yellow locust in my area. 

dlabrie

QuoteDo keep some pictures coming.  I look forward to hearing your feedback and the things you run into and have to consider as you set up and start to saw.  I will help some of us that are a bit further behind you in the procurement department.

Same here. I really look forward to hear how the LT10 works for you. I looked at an LT15 today but the LT10 is more in my price range :D
David in NH

Magicman

Congratulations on getting that new sawmill, dgdrls.  I see many happy times in your future.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MotorSeven

Congrats, am I am curious to see it set up and cutting wood!
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

eastberkshirecustoms

Nice looking mill! Where in NY are you located? You seem to be having the same winter as I am.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

As good as that ORANGE looks in the bed of your pick-up, I believe I'd just leave it on the truck and ride around town for a while.
Sort of like showing off that BIG BUCK with the tail gate down.

You'll love your Woodmizer......Congrats!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

dgdrls

Thanks guys,

Samandothers, I believe they are Yellow Locust,

Dlabrie, I also looked at the 15 and was ready to go to an LT28.  The rational I had was the price to go mobile on the 15 was very close to the 28.

In the end I decided I would be better off learning with this unit and not committing a ton of cash into the 28 yet. I'm starting at home and If this goes well
I'll consider a 28 in the future.   I have a fair amount of work remaining to get set up the way I want.  I don't have a barn or conc pad to work from so I'll be looking at making an additional I-beam bed to speed/ease leveling the mill.   Long range goal is to devise a system to make the mill semi-transportable.  I don't believe I'll be sawing until late March or April.  I'll continue to photo document as I go.

Easternberkshires,  I'm just on the west side of Syracuse.  I had fun in the three feet of snow in Fulton, NY last Monday!!

Best DGDrls

Bill Gaiche

Congrats on the new mill and happy sawing. bg

Sixacresand

Hi DGDRIS
Congratulations on buying a Woodmizer LT10.  I certainly have enjoyed mine.  I have learned a lot from both using the mill and reading the Forestry Forum.  This forum is a gold mine of information about milling and logging.  Have Fun.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Congratulations on your new mill Dan!

I'm sure you'll get many wonderful years using it!

You'll see, it'll be awsome!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

BlueFont,(Dgdrls)

That is awesome!  If you raise the mill to knee height, it will be much easier on your body, even quite pleasant  :D.  I suspect that your "yellow locust" is in fact "black locust", Robinia pseudoacacia.

This is one fine turn of events  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

Progress to date,  Little slower than I had hoped but I also squeezed in a trip to New Orleans, sold my parents Steiner Tractor to a former Soviet Marine now living in Ohio, quite a gentlemen.  Installed new brakes and tie rod ends on my Sister and Brother-in-laws truck simultaneously assisting with a clutch, flywheel, transfer-box replacement on said brother-in-laws Jeep Rubicon "The Toy". 

Anyway, I'm close to making my first cuts, motor install is next and fine tuning.  Friend is setting schedule for cutting some Locust and a Black Walnut,
I have some Ash on the ground already.

Best,
DGDrls

Site super, Elvis

Nomad

The mill's looking good!  (Don't practice on the bunny; they're hard to clamp and it messes up the blade guides.)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

beenthere

Having rabbit for dinner? MMmmmm!!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

:o  I hope that Black Locust is fresh felled.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Elvis is too old and tough at this point to bother with :D

The Locust is still growing, I'll practice on those within a few days of cutting.

Best
DGDrls

Magicman

OK, then the Locust is more tender than the rabbit.   ;D

WDH

BlueFont(DGDrls),

Looking good!  Looks like Elvis has not left the building, so you should be good to go  :D.  Looking forward to the start-up, but don't start with the locust  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

I have been busy with everything but my mill lately.  I finished the build tonight, checked the blade guides, tension etc and I finally have some hickory and hard maple to work with.
Here is the first cant I sawed on the LT10 tonight,  She checks pretty square ;).
when I was done I was grinning ear to ear.  :D

DGDrls

WDH

Soon you will be building a lumber drying shed  :).

Well, Now Its Official!!

customsawyer

If you have trouble when cutting that hickory don't blame the mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dgdrls

Customsawyer,

She actually cut very well,  wood is still not too dry
I believe the time I spent adjusting the blade tension and the guides
was a good investment.

DGDrls

Bibbyman

Congratulations!

Great documentary. I YouTube video would have been cool.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jemclimber

Hey dgdrls,  how long did it take you to put it together. I have an lt15 but my buddy is planning on getting a 10 to use up at his camp in the adirondaks. We probably drive right by you on our way up there.  It must be nice to be so close to Hannibal.  Black locust is nice. I try to get all I can.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!