iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making Something Useful out of a Junk Slab

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 14, 2012, 04:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It was 28 degrees this morning. I needed to first change the blade left on from yesterday. It was dull.
I didn't change it right off. I just wanted to slab this big....dry....rock hard knotty Pine log first, then put on a new re-sharp.

The blade left on from yesterday needed to be cleaned......I said I'll do it after I slab this log.

I made one pass.....not bad.

The second cut, I sped up a bit, sawed into a knot and the blade drastically DIPPED into the slab making a bowl shape.

I thought.....time to put on a sharp blade.

Usually, I'd put the damaged slab on the burn pile....but decided to save it.

Took the chainsaw and formed a very nice platter.

What will I use it for? Now I keep it on top of my HD box and use the platter to hold nuts, bolts and tools. The platter keeps things from rolling or vibrating off to the ground.

It's a little cheesy  :D, but hey......it works for me!  :)

As far as the blade......"If it DIPS it SHIPS"......coming to ya Georgia!  ;D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Woodkiller

Magicman

The blade probably was seriously dull, and at least one tooth was out of whack leaving the tooth drag marks, but you need to check your drive belt tightness.  Many times a slightly loose belt will do fine with sharp blades, but with a dull blade and hitting a hard knot, something has to give and it may slip the belt resulting in a blade dive.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

how does a belt slipping make the blade dive? i've had belt slip with no blade dive what so ever. :( just a dull blade will dive or a loose blade just mho
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 14, 2012, 07:54:35 PM
The blade probably was seriously dull, and at least one tooth was out of whack leaving the tooth drag marks, but you need to check your drive belt tightness.  Many times a slightly loose belt will do fine with sharp blades, but with a dull blade and hitting a hard knot, something has to give and it may slip the belt resulting in a blade dive.

Sorry....no winner tonight Magic.  ;D ( Just poking at you ) But you are right on spot with your info.

The blade had hit 2 nails the evening before. I had to leave in a hurry to go to a brush fire and did not have time to do anything except turn the PSI down to zero.
I checked....the belt tension is set on 12 pounds for the new 29HP.

I tried to "limp" through the slabbing process before putting on a new blade since I figured this one was shot anyway  :D. It had already been sharpened 8 times. It had been a good one though. WM will replace it with a new one.

SPD748

It looks like more than the temperature dipped this morning. Great recovery David!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on December 14, 2012, 08:11:55 PM
It looks like more than the temperature dipped this morning. Great recovery David!

-lee

Where you been......chasing Pick-up Trucks?  ;D

bandmiller2

We've all done it just one or two more cuts then I'll change the band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SPD748

Afraid not my friend...

I did chase a sawsmith though. After I caught him, I watched him beat on my otherwise perfectly good blade with a very large hammer. Details on that note in my post... tomorrow  :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

drobertson

david, it looks like allot less sanding to get the nice contour for the ole butzki!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 14, 2012, 08:06:45 PM
how does a belt slipping make the blade dive? i've had belt slip with no blade dive what so ever. :( just a dull blade will dive or a loose blade just mho 

If you will read what I wrote, I think that we said the same thing.  A marginal blade and a slipping belt which will cause the blade to slow down, is very subject to dive.  A sharp blade and a slipping belt should run true.

I am not an expert on anything.  I just post what I have personally experienced.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have had DULL blades dive and keep trying to dive until it will stall the motor if you let it.

I have had blades become to loose and saw the top of the cant round on top.

I have had blades dive, scoop and come back up, like the blade did in my pics above.

A dull or a blade that is to loose ......or both together will do CRAZY things.

In fact....what a blade will do sometimes will NEVER cease to amaze me.  :D I love my job!  ;D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Retired-Jack

My blade dipped sharply the first day I used it.
slipping drive belt, dull blade and maybe a knot = dip

Put more tension on belt... no more dipping

Thanks Magicman

"Tool Platter" is a good name.  Will it be in stores by Christmas  :)

Tj 201 Patu loader SMG Sawmill

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Retired-Jack on December 15, 2012, 10:47:32 PM
Put more tension on belt... no more dipping

Thanks Magicman

"Tool Platter" is a good name.  Will it be in stores by Christmas  :)

Umm-- I'm sure I can produce a number of them.

I'm sure I have thrown a few otherwise perfectly good "platter blanks" on the firewood pile in my time. What was I thinking?  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What a DIP Magic. ( I'm talking about your bowl  :) ) But I think you need to get on the service loop to solve this problem, unless you wanna get into the bowl / platter business.  :D

LeeB

Actually, I was thinking a bread bowl would have been a good use for the original post.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

samandothers

I thought the original was going to be on of David's benches, or in this case a stool.  He had already made the seat indentation!

Way to make lemonaide from a possible lemon!

Magicman

Yup, I first thought a dough bowl or a bench.  We're gonna have to school that boy.   :P

Sixacresand

I think its neat that we can find uses for mess ups on the mill.  I always wanted to be able to duplicate a mess up, but never could, at least, not on purpose.   I did accidently make a nice set of chair rockers from a blade dip in a fat lighter log.  I was scared to use them, thinking they catch fire while rocking. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Sixacresand on December 16, 2012, 11:12:58 AM
I think its neat that we can find uses for mess ups on the mill.  I always wanted to be able to duplicate a mess up, but never could, at least, not on purpose.   I did accidently make a nice set of chair rockers from a blade dip in a fat lighter log.  I was scared to use them, thinking they catch fire while rocking.

That almost begs for a new smiley!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: samandothers on December 16, 2012, 09:42:43 AM
I thought the original was going to be on of David's benches, or in this case a stool.  He had already made the seat indentation!

IT would make a nice milking stool. My butt would fit right on it......but I have nothing to milk.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on December 16, 2012, 09:49:04 AM
  We're gonna have to school that boy.   :P

I started school January 2011......that's when I enrolled at the "University of the Forestry Forum".  ;D

You may 2 of my instructors, Dr. Magicman and Professor WDH.    ;D They give to much homework.  :P :P :P :P :P

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 16, 2012, 11:42:35 AM
Quote from: samandothers on December 16, 2012, 09:42:43 AM

IT would make a nice milking stool. My butt would fit right on it......but I have nothing to milk.  :D

Then how abut a milling stool? You do have things to mill.

WDH

You can milk those goats that you were going to build a slab fence for.

Now, go do your homework.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

I had a guy came to my mill from a molding shop. That is he made wooden moldings for carpenters to use to trim out houses.
This customer of his wanted some siding reproduced that was made by a band mill that had a nick in the blade.
This nick created a lump on the surface of the siding every few inches.
They wanted me to reproduce the siding with the nick.

I took my setting tool and bent some teeth over and tried to do it. Well of course I bent them the wrong way and made a groove. But he took the sample and the carpenter liked it but again he wanted a hump not a groove.

So I bent the teeth straight and that produced a hump.

I got the job and had to produce hundreds of feet of lumber with humps spaced out right and it wasn't that easy to do. But I did it.

And not only did I do it for this carpenter who had build an addition onto a house where he had to match the existing siding, but some years later another carpenter who was repairing some siding on another house in the same neighborhood came over and wanted some siding again with that hump.

It seems this one developer made a whole lot of houses in that area. And he got all the siding from the same place and they all had this tell tale hump on the siding. It seems that everyone liked it and wanted more.

You never know what a mistake will make and when it will come back again and again.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 16, 2012, 08:38:27 PM
Mistakes have led to great discoveries.

So what am I Pop, a Mistake or a Discovery?  say_what

WDH

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on December 16, 2012, 09:14:18 PM
Oh, a Discovery, for sure.

Endless discovery. A revelation, you might say.  ;D

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2012, 07:54:15 AM
David is a Supernumerary  ;D.

bat_smailey Now why would you want to cuss m..............wait a minute......I better look up the work.... :P

Wow....thanks Danny....you're to kind.  :)

:D

WDH

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2012, 09:16:36 PM
Hey, if the shoe fits............. ;D.

Might have to get special shoes if you have supernumeraries.  :-\

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2012, 07:54:15 AM
David is a Supernumerary  ;D.

That, and also an enigma. Probably an anomaly. But not a recluse. A surfactant?  ???

Thank You Sponsors!