iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re-sawing pressure treated poles or timbers.

Started by Dave Shepard, December 20, 2012, 07:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Anyone do this? I've got one big pole to re-saw, and I think it's SYP. 85' and 28" at the butt. I haven't seen it, but we're supposed to cut it down into shorter logs and make some dimensional lumber out of it. I want to saw an 85' 12"x12", but haven't been able to convince anyone it's a good idea, yet. ;D

I'm not to thrilled about sawing PT, but I do have a wireless remote, so I might have to step back a couple hundred feet and give it a shot.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kansas

Two things. It cuts really hard. Second, that pressure treatment doesn't go in that far. If your plan is to use pressure treated  lumber, it won't work. If its to use for rafters or such for a barn, it will. If you are portable, get the wind at your back. Probably the 4% blade if you run woodmizer.

VictorH

It's probably poisonous as well so wear a mask if you don't normally.

Magicman

A FF search will find several threads on sawing PT utility poles.  Some recent.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It depends which chemical was used for treating.  If CCA, then the dust, sawdust and scraps are extremely dangerous to you and the environment.  At the least, collect the sawdust and dispose of it in a landfill.  You will create a hazardous site if the sawdust gets on the ground.  It is extremely hazardous if burned.  You need a mask, a shower afterwards immediately, and clothes need to be washed separately.  Arsenic is a major concern, but so is the copper.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The chemical used will penetrate through the end grain for perhaps 12" along the length.  Also there will be adequate chemical for 2" of the outside.  Deeper will have lesser amounts.  The reason we need such penetration is that the butt in contact with the ground needs more chemical than the above ground.  Also, Above ground is likely to crack and exposed interior wood, so we do need chemical inside as well as the outer 2". 

As the cost of a failure is very high, and replacement cost high as well, utility poles are very well treated, especially the lower sections.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

pineywoods

my advice is simple...Don't.... The sawdust is nasty stuff, and handling the lumber will cause not-so-nice problems. Folks that want treated poles sawn into lumber think they are get a bunch of treated lumber on the cheap. WRONG..The center is untreated and will rot quickly. Cutting a pole into fence posts is a maybe idea IF the top of the post is covered with something to keep the water out. Even then then bottom will rot albeit much slower.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

drobertson

I have cut a few, and a few more rail ties, as mentioned the treatment is shallow, and the center is often hollowed out.  Not really what the ole boy was looking for when it was all said and done.  I had no reactions I can remember, but then the wife says I don't remember much anyway.  It just is not worth the effort as far as cutting into pieces. Making corner post from them is a different story. Chain saw and a post hole digger is all that is needed.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

isawlogs

I have sawed some once, won't touch it again. It is hard to saw, and the dust off of it is some nasty, you would be well advised to use your station as far away upwind as you can. Then again , someone has to turn it and get some of the dust on there clothe......
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

I think this project has been vetoed.  ;) I don't want to breath or be in contact with the stuff, and I don't want it on the farm. I didn't think the treatment went all the way through anyway. The pole might make a good arm for a trebuchet, however. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

Dave, that is one of the better calls I have read on here in a long time  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

Yeah, I've been wanting to build a trebuchet for a while now. :)

isawlogs

Marcel

5quarter

I would pay to see a trebuchet with an 85' throw arm in action.  :o
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

drobertson

Not only is the forum great for picking up great information, and useful tips and teqniques, but I am now begining to learn the art of icon simulations.  :snowman: :snowball1: :snowfight1: :rifle: :snowfight1: ::)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

steamsawyer

Sawyers discretion advized...

It can be done. I have cut a few for cattle rancher buddys. It usually only amounts to splitting them in half to use for cowpen posts but I have made lumber with them too.

I don't know about other parts of the country but here in Florida they are treated all the way through. Every one I have ever cut was clearly the same green throughout. I have cut creosote poles but I won't do it again, they are black and stickey to the core and they will goo up your saw.

If you do decide to try it, bag the sawdust and dispose of it at a landfill... It is considered hazardous waste. Don't breathe it and don't wear it... After all it is poison.

Here is a little video from last year.  The stuff saws ok but in this video I was dealing with a lot of belt slippage where I couldn't keep the belt tight. I have since installed an idler on the belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XQN9H9nJOE&list=UU7d1hrrieYmf1HNx6ypOVpg&index=12

Alan      :christmas:

J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

bill m

Dave, go ahead and make it and I will bring the pumpkins. ;D
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

rooster 58

I have used pt lumber a good portion of my life to build pole buildings, decks etc. As Doc says, the cca treated material is ;D

Thank You Sponsors!