iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old age and Injury have changed my priorities, EASY starting, LIGHT weight!

Started by weimedog, October 30, 2018, 08:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I've got a little Dolmar 42 that is an impressive starter and performer.I also have a 26 year old 2163 Jonsered that does the same.The Dolmar is the one I grab first only because it is light.The old Jonsered has been a dependable saw and if it ever dies I will get a similar sized Dolmar.I am 71 and these saws treat me well and vice/versa.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

sawguy21

The flywheel nut is right hand thread so a drill or nut driver would just spin it off. Maybe somebody could design something that would attach a starter pulley to the drill.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

weimedog

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 04, 2018, 10:38:46 PM
The flywheel nut is right hand thread so a drill or nut driver would just spin it off. Maybe somebody could design something that would attach a starter pulley to the drill.
Like the race car's..:) Might be a fun project for the machine shop...
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

Well I tried the drill motor kick on a 5.8 cubic inch engine on a gear drive Craftsman saw .It worked once or twice---and then  it spit the flywheel off .Which orbited my garage several times ,made be take cover and barely missed my wifes Cadillac automobile.That could turned out very badly .I'd imagine I would have got the hot tongue cold shoulder treatment for quite a while had it gone bad .-------don't do it ----

upnut

I went with the smallest Stihl that came with a decomp button, the 241CM, and have been very pleased. Not the lightest, but the balance and pro anti-vibe system make it a joy to run. Starting is a breeze....

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

wild262

That 241 would be my pick as well in the Stihl line.  But my Oregon 40V starts even easier :D.  Lol. And I use it more now for limbing small trees until the battery goes dead.   After that I use my new Echo 361P which is a dream to run as well.   And Weimedog I agree with you on the 2094 needing a compression valve, as I have had some that didn't.   My current "and last" one however does, which I am very greatfull. :)

sawguy21

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 06, 2018, 07:23:22 AM
Well I tried the drill motor kick on a 5.8 cubic inch engine on a gear drive Craftsman saw .It worked once or twice---and then  it spit the flywheel off .Which orbited my garage several times ,made be take cover and barely missed my wifes Cadillac automobile.That could turned out very badly .I'd imagine I would have got the hot tongue cold shoulder treatment for quite a while had it gone bad .-------don't do it ----
:D :D :D I had a Homelite clutch do that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

I was at a chainsaw race once where one of the guys Mac 101 clutch exploded at about 20,000 rpm. It buried itself in the ground right by my foot.
That would have hurt and alot of people around me thought the same thing. :laugh:
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

I rolled the clutch off I think a Mac from dead sticking it after a rebuild with no bar and chain .Went down my driveway a good length . I also rolled the string head off a weed wacker and it might have made it to Lake Erie at about 100 miles per hour .Movin on --zoom 

Thank You Sponsors!