iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E2300 main door failure

Started by Flyer, December 29, 2012, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Hey all you guys with a CB E2300.  Here's a failure you may not be aware of yet.  Was out getting ready to do my morning check of the furnace.......and I was having trouble getting the door to open!  Never had a problem before!  always popped right open!  Well I thought maybe the creosote was causing it to stick so, pulled a little harder and the door popped open.  As i opened it up the interior insulated packing section on the door (consists of the metal plate you see when the door is open, an solid insulation panel and the interior steel plate that bolts the whole package to the outer steel door frame) falls out of the outer steel door frame!! 

As you can imagine, I was quite shocked!  Turns out the steel plate that bolts this portion to the outer steal door frame had completely rusted out!! 

I called my CB rep (great rep!) and told him what happened and he said that CB has known about this and have a new redesigned section to replace the original components.  Said it will be no cost to me except the shipping.  Of couse I need do the work myself or. 

I dont mind doing the work.....just a little surprised with this failure.  I had never heard of this happening before, but maybe I just missed it.  I would have thought that is CB had known about this and has already redesigned that section of the door, they might have put out a notice or something!  I would have upgraded it before it fell out of the door!  Good thing my toes were clear!  :laugh:

stumper

This is a comon problem with the older E2300.  I also replaced my door.  Complete failure is often preceeded by a warping of the door interior.  That is where I caught mine. 

Plan on a couple hours work to replace it, and you will benifit from a second set of hands.  You should be able to complete the repair quicker then I indicated but if you plan on less something will go wrong.  I found that a drill driver with a extention bit holder is the correct size for the sheet metal screws and makes quick work of things.  There are two size of screws so note wher the longer ones go.  You will also want to have eaten your wheaties that morning because I found breaking the nut free on one side of the latch took a lot of force.  As soon as you can see the nuts hit them with PB Blaster.

Sorry about the door and warranty.  This is obviously a design defect, but they only cover the part not the shipping or labor.  Outdoor boiler are a lot different the anything else I have purchesd in this price range when it comes to warranty.  Imagine if your Ford Focus had a design flaw effecting safety and you went to you dealer and there responce was "Ya we know it is an issue but here is the replacement part and an instruction sheet in the repair".  Probably would not buy a Ford again, but as most of us only buy one boiler it works for them.

thecfarm

That is too bad to hear of your problems.
No warranty issue and only one blower motor went bad on my Heatmor,4 years now,knock on wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Flyer

Addmittedly this failure was a surprise!  This is the 5th season running this furnace.  Here's the problems I've seen so far;

New door seal (my fault on this one!)
Replaced the fusion chamber
...and of course this door failure.

I think I'm doing alright with this unit so far.  Dont get me wrong, I would like to have it be trouble free!! :)

stumper

where abouts are you located?   I'm between Waterville & Augusta.

NWP

x2 on the Heatmor.  Exactly like cfarm, I've replaced one blower motor in 5 1/2 years.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

r.man

Sorry to hear about your trouble and I agree that at the very least you are owed an apology and the part delivered free of charge. Many companies would also install the new part and I would say that would be appropriate here as well since they admit it is either a design or materials problem. On a personal note however, any day that I open the furnace door and water doesn't pour out is a fairly good day.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Flyer

sorry Stumper!  getting back late to you. been out of country for a bit. I'm located in winterport, just downriver of bangor.

leeallen

Sorry to hear about your door Flyer. When I owned a 2300, my Fusion chamber needed to be replaced as well. I was lucky to have a quality dealer (Rick Young in Center Conway,NH) who not only traveled to S Maine , but installed the unit as well. I am surprised that CB doesnt have a regional Tech to install parts like this - a lot of dealers aren't inclined to go elbow deep into a OWB to fix a repair. I do know CB made many changes in their gassifier after I purchased mine in 2007 and I believe they are a quality company who has been in business for many years.

On another note, I am now running a 400 Empyre, which I love. I did have a door issue, but Profab sent me a new one (completely redesigned) for free and my dealer (Dave Kent in Naples, ME)offered to put it on for me. I did the install my self but it was a 10 minute job.

stumper

Flyer, my job occationally takes me to Winterport.  I you need a hand, I could stop by some lunch time to assist you.

Rick is an awesome dealer, and I am happy he is mine.  That said I can not ask him to travel 2 hours to me do the work and drive back with out compensation.  I have been told the CB does not compensate any of the dealers that do this work.  Rick did this for you because he is awesome. 

Again if Ford did not compensate their dealers for warranty work many would not do the work.  Heck with Ford not only will the dealer do the work and be paid for it but any ford dealer will.

While not directly related I have been told by another CB dealer that because I did not by the boiler from him he would not sell me any Ashtrol. 

thecfarm

stumper,give him a towel to cry on.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: stumper on January 07, 2013, 04:56:12 PM
Flyer, my job occationally takes me to Winterport.  I you need a hand, I could stop by some lunch time to assist you.

Rick is an awesome dealer, and I am happy he is mine.  That said I can not ask him to travel 2 hours to me do the work and drive back with out compensation.  I have been told the CB does not compensate any of the dealers that do this work.  Rick did this for you because he is awesome. 

Again if Ford did not compensate their dealers for warranty work many would not do the work.  Heck with Ford not only will the dealer do the work and be paid for it but any ford dealer will.

While not directly related I have been told by another CB dealer that because I did not by the boiler from him he would not sell me any Ashtrol.

All part of being a dealer... you hafta take the bad with the good.

waorgany

my door for both the reaction chamber and main door have been warped bad for a few seasons now, this is a very poorly designed unit,and they need to replace them all for us for free with the newer and better designed 2400's how about it CB we all have many issues and you sit back and read these posts and do nothing!

beenthere

Curious, how do you know they read these posts?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

waorgany

Quote from: beenthere on January 08, 2013, 11:02:44 PM
Curious, how do you know they read these posts?

Why wouldn't they..If I owned a company that was this bad I would want to hear what people say about my products. The company I work for makes products here in the states as well as overseas. we are a global company that dominates our market space, and we always look on forums and social media etc to see how our customers think and view our products, it is whats keeps us on top...so yeah maybe your right they aren't reading....

Logging logginglogging

I havent had any of these problems. I keep my stove cleaned well and burn good wood in it though.

Flyer

Thanks for the offer Stumper!  I did get the door replaced already.  Was able to do it myself but it sure would have been easier with another set of hands like you suggested.  Whole job took me about 4 hours.  Took my time and cleaned things up as I went along.

The new door section looks quite a bit better built than the original.  Time will tell! 

beenthere

Quote from: Flyer on January 09, 2013, 02:40:00 PM

Thanks for the offer Stumper!  I did get the door replaced already.  Was able to do it myself but it sure would have been easier with another set of hands like you suggested.  Whole job took me about 4 hours.  Took my time and cleaned things up as I went along.

The new door section looks quite a bit better built than the original.  Time will tell!

stumper was just going to stop for lunch.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

superwd6

Quote from: waorgany on January 08, 2013, 10:55:22 PM
my door for both the reaction chamber and main door have been warped bad for a few seasons now, this is a very poorly designed unit,and they need to replace them all for us for free with the newer and better designed 2400's how about it CB we all have many issues and you sit back and read these posts and do nothing!
Sorry to disagree with you but after seeing a few different units and knowing people who got NO warranty after 4 years on poorly designed Wood Doctor gassifier I'm glad I have the 2300 Eclassic ;D

JJ

waorgany,
I replace both main door and reaction chamber with warranty parts.  I have no complaints as unit has already paid for its self.
Id did not seem a big deal.  I would suggest you get the parts, and the 2300 will work much better for you.  It is too big of an investment not to fix.

JJ

Logging logginglogging

Bummer.... my door just started seperating too....

Thank You Sponsors!