iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kioti tractors

Started by RKONeilJr, June 19, 2017, 04:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKONeilJr

Howdy all,
                I am looking for some Pros & Cons on the Kioti tractors, especially set up for forestry work.
Many Thanks
R.K.

samandothers

I don't have experience with Kioti's.  However I read a lot of positive reviews on another forum about there abilities.

btd

The ignition switches are not the most waterproof, but if kept out of the elements with a bit of penetrating fluid they work as they should. Overall good tractors in my opinion however.

thecfarm

The only Kioti tractor with a forestry package that I ever saw was kinda on the small size. I have a 40hp that I hauled out some big pine with. I don't see how the one I saw could do it. But depends on what you are going to do with it. On your own land? Going to log for others? I have worked a tractor on my land since '93. I am very fussy with my trails and how I cut the brush. Yes,it all takes longer,but any improvement I make to my land,is mine to enjoy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DDW_OR

Quote from: RKONeilJr on June 19, 2017, 04:30:39 PM
...especially set up for forestry work.......
Here are some photos of my Mahindra 5520
51 hp
4x4
the Farmi 3-point PTO winch can pull 11,000 pounds

the each rear fender has a flat spot

I tow the Honda Rancher into the woods when i know i have to go back and forth

"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

one thing i plan on adding is under belly protection.
first i will try using a plastic pickup bed liner. i can get one for under $50

if that does not work then 1/8 or 3/16 sheet steel.

want to stop branches from poking up into the undercarriage
"let the machines do the work"

Crusarius

a sheet of 3/8" or 1/2" HDPE works great. it may be more expensive but it is very smooth and slides over everything with no effort.

Riwaka

Kioti tractors are agricultural tractors and are well capable of doing agricultural work and are allegedly improving with each successive model.
A Kioti tractor as a forestry machine - simple reply - no, there other machines made by other manufacturers for forestry work.

John Mc

I'd have to disagree with Riwaka. Properly set up, an ag tractor can work fairly well for forestry work. No, it's certainly not the match of dedicated forestry equipment, so if you are looking to maximize production in a commercial venture, it's probably no the best way to go. However, a tractor is far more flexible than dedicated forestry equipment, so if you need to do other things and can't justify multiple piece of equipment, it can be a great way to go. You just need to understand the limitations of your equipment (true no matter what your equipment is).

Kioti happens to be the tractor used by Payeur, a Canadian Company who sets up tractors for forestry work. Try this linkn for info on their Forester Tractor. Even if you don't buy one from them, it may give you some ideas.

I had a local fab shop who has done a number of these conversions make some mods on my tractor (normally, he works on bigger stiff than my 33HP New Holland TC33D). My tractor is definitely on the small end of what you'd want for Forestry work, but it suit my needs - and I figure if some people are using ATVs to get the job done, I can certainly do it with this. Added FOPS (falling object protection system), limb risers, and a belly pan. He did a great jb, designing in little features that I would not have even thought to ask for. I was on a budget at the time, so I may go back and add more in the future. Here's a picture of the tractor in "forestry mode" (log grapple on the front, logging winch on the back):

Here's a closer shot, but with other implements on:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

btd

One thing about a tractor for small scale forestry work is they push, they pull, and have useful hydraulic systems that compliment things such as three point wood splitters, grapples, etc. At the end of the day you can still use it for a bunch of other jobs as well.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pékan

Well for my part i love my kioti ck35 for my forestry needs and all around with some small modification like a belly pan, front grill, hard roof top, a good winch, two sets of good tire chains, made a front push blade for pushing logs and dirt...  a little beast when you know how to work with....

IndyIan

http://payeur.com/en/the-forester/
These guys chose Kioti to outfit for forestry work so I guess the tractors must be half decent!
I've got a 2011 kioti DK40SE HST and its been pretty good, although I haven't done any serious skidding with it.  It does need protection underneath if you want to charge through or over brush as the hyd lines are exposed as are some of the foot control rods and levers.
For serious forestry work I think you want to start comparing weight per width of tractor.  I have mine set at 6' wide and  my atv trails are always to narrow.  My tractor ends up at about 5600lbs with the loader on and loaded rear tires.  For loader work I like to put on the 1000lb box blade and then its nice and stable.  I can push around 3000lb cars easily with that setup for example, and lift either end.

For cheaper heavy iron, Mahindra makes some real beasts, and if I bought again I'd probably go that way instead of the lighter more refined Kubota tractors.  You really have to compare spec to spec on tractors though, there's lots of 40hp tractors that are only just over half as heavy as mine, and mahindra had a 40hp tractor that weighed 1000lbs more...

Dead River Ranch

I have a DS4510 with a Farmi 851. I have 80 acres of spruce, fir, poplar and red maple. I sell a couple loads of saw logs a year and feed my Wood Mizer LT15. I also cut logs to do log building and post and beam projects.I maintain my woods roads with the FEL, a backhoe and box scraper, and mow a small field with a bush hog. It has 600+ hours, I change the fluids and do not run it when the temps are below zero and so far no issues. This tractor has been simply great and I plan on running it for a long time to come. I owned a kubota before and this is as good as that was.

Happy 4th!

80 acres of spruce, fir, poplar, maple, white pine, red pine, white birch, 2 husqvarna saws, Husqvarna clearing saw Kioti DS 4510, Farmi 851, Wood Mizer LT15.

DOVEMAN

I have a DK45. It is a good machine 580hrs. It was at the time with a backhoe 16k less than a Kubota equivalent. I had two Kubota prior to this one and think it is just as good. Should do what you want to do it the size is right.

woodmills1

I have a Payeur forester package with a DK40se.  My only complaint has been with the drive for the hydraulic pump which I had to replace.                   

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Resonator

I would suggest looking at Kubota tractors before buying a Kioti. I bought my Kubota MX5800 in 2015, and have been more than happy with the quality and reliability. I got the HST instead of manual shift, and greatly prefer the HST for loader work. As with any tractor purchase shop around, and do your homework. Check warranties, parts, resale value, etc. Make your decision based on what you've learned, not just what the salesman said. The first thing I would protect on a woods tractor would be the hydraulic lines, and upgrade from stock to heavy industrial hose. One stray branch can stop you in a hurry (I know).
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Skeans1

No matter what you get or decide to use make sure you don't forget the upper guarding mesh screen, a top, branch deflectors, and honestly I'd add guarded doors as well grab handles for well travelling.
Are there any used skidders out in your area for sale that might be a better investment they are made for the task.

Crusarius

RKONeilJr, I am not sure where you are located but every february in syracuse NY they do a farm show at the state fairgrounds. They have almost every brand of tractor represented there. it really is nice to be able to climb on everything and play with it all right in one location.

I always look at tractors and did not realize some of the layouts are very questionable. Like having a hydrostatic with steering brakes on the same side as the forward and reverse pedals. Now I am not a rocket scientist but to me this just seems to be a bad location unless you have 3 feet or like to ride side saddle :)

If you have a farm show or something like that near you it would be the best way to get to know all your options. In syracuse the ppl that run the booth are direct from the manufacturers none of them are actual sales people. They usually connect you with your local dealer and they get the sale. Works out real nice with no pressure and lots of information. If one guy doesn't have the answer to your question 4 other guys do. And sometimes the other customers help out alot.

Thank You Sponsors!