iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Red baneberry. Very poisonous berries

Started by SwampDonkey, June 06, 2004, 07:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Hmm, what's this? Eating the berries of this plant may be your last. ;)

:)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Kedwards

Actaea spicata OR Actaea pachypoda (THIS IS MY GUESS) very toxic Red baneberry is an english trans-plant  :D (he said plant)

The white baneberry is extremely toxic
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Buzz-sawyer

I have some very similiar looking plants with clusters of red berries...is that bane?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Kedwards

I wouldn't make jelly out of it  ;) More than likely red baneberry.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

SwampDonkey

yup its red baneberry.

Red baneberry is native here, as is white. I find it many miles in the deep woods away from settlement, as well as the woodlots around here, under hardwoods or mixed growth.

There was once a EUFRO tour here on private woodlots, 10 years ago, and there was a lad from BC that said they were edible berries he knew back home. I warned him of what to expect if he ate them, and he decided he wouldn't that day. White baneberry is even worse, and can cause skin blisters. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Buzz-sawyer

I have been reading on edibles and thought the leaves looked like appliachian haw................................ :o :o :o
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

I'll have to post dwarf raspberry for comparison. Its berry can't be confused for anything other than raspberry. Its leaves may leave ya guessing though. ;)

SwampDonkey

Here's a link to the dwarf red raspberry.

http://www.borealforest.org/shrubs/shrub42.htm

I've eaten them and they don't have much taste, compared to wild red raspberry. I like wild red raspberry even more than cultivated raspberry, since they are not as sour and they are more sweet. :)

Thank You Sponsors!