iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TF Shop, new to building

Started by DudeWithTrees, January 26, 2019, 03:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DudeWithTrees

Hello, first post.  Ive been trying to save up for a car port but realized I have plenty of trees and a chain saw.  Husq 365 with a 26" bar from a job I used to have.  I have a shop, just the parts still have leaves on them.  Plenty of black/honey locust, hackberry and some hedge.  

I only need about a 10'x15' space for some small projects and maint.  Small engine stuff mainly.  I live on ten acres and most is pasture on a slight hill.  

At the moment Im still in the research stage.  I know locust makes good lumber, Ill be doing all the work with green wood.  The biggest question I have is could I use 2x8 (avg) slabs of hackberry for the floor?  Throwing them down on the locust joists and nail the hell out of them so they dont warp too bad when they dry is he plan so far.  

If I have enough timbers left over I would like to extend the front to a car port type shelter for automotive work.  I dont have much cash but I can afford saw gas, truck gas to skid logs and files for the chain.  

Trying to make something that works easily, is sturdy enough to last about ten years.  Itll be behind the house so image isnt a big issue.  I dont cre if its very pretty.  Just want a sturdy and out of the gravel driveway place to work.
I only eat the finest organic non-GMO sour cream on my lead paint chips.

Brad_bb

Couple things... first you can never have enough shop space.  Plan for the most you can.  Making the building bigger to start with is cheaper than adding on later.  

Next, I wouldn't want to mill alot of lumber with a CSM.  First it's got a thick kerf, second you're talking about milling some of the hardest woods - hedge and locust.  You'll need to predrill for any fasteners in those.  I do not discourage their use though.

If you can set the logs up and have a mobile sawyer come do them, or better yet take logs to them as you need... You'd bet more yield, and CSM is just a log of hard hard work.  I do it for big slabs or big beams, but when it comes to smaller stuff and dimensional lumber, no way. If you were milling softwood, fine.  

Where are you located?  You can put it  in your profile and it will show up in your posts.  That will help people answer your questions if they know where you're from.  Some sawyers might trade you your logs for a species that might be easier to work with.  I know I'd trade Ash or Some Walnut for Hedge and locust right now.  You might be able to work out a deal that they trade you sawn material for a certain amount of your material?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DudeWithTrees

Im in the Springfield, MO area.  Im just trying to work with what I have on hand without spending money so I can have a spot to possibly make some.  Also wanting to get into blacksmithing for a few extra dollars.  

I found the TF Plans for download.  The 12x16 shop/house/shed etc with half loft looks good.  Final dimentions on what Im going to build will be determined when I start cutting trees down as board feet is a math system I havent gotten down yet.  I need to take a note pad next time Im in the field to get a better idea of what I have.

I dont plan on using hedge for anything other than a few corner and gate posts needing replaced.  Id just slab out the hackberry being its the softest I have.  Ive got plenty of rock for the foundaton for it to sit on to keep it off the ground and not bury the timbers.  Ive got a decent pile of roofing tin for siding and roof.  And a termite ridden shed I need to get rid of thats sided in more roofing tin.  Just have to have a place to store whats inside before I can tear it down.

I dont have a trailer to haul logs and Im far enough away from the big towns here that delivery would cost quite a bit.  My last two paychecks were for 15ish hours so cost is a big deal right now.

One thing I was hoping for was if somebody knew if green hackberry 2x's would work for the flooring.  Ive a couple nearing the 30" mark.  

Sorry for putting a novel up here.  I tend to try to get all information I think is important up as soon as possible.

Brad_bb

The hackberry is not rot resistant so the question is what would it go over?  If going over the ground where moisture would be coming up from below I'd say no.  You can use it for flooring inside a house in climate controlled conditions.

DudeWithTrees

Then Ill have to use locust on the floor.  

Ill warn you now, its not going to be pretty.

DudeWithTrees

Would it be possible to use the hackberry as posts and upper part of a box frame above locust sill plates?  

The shed needing replaced has a concrete footer around the perimeter up to the door.  

Brad_bb

What's a box frame?  Pics would definitely help.

DudeWithTrees

Box Beam.  My bad.  Still trying to get the right terms down.

LumberMizer

Hey Dudewithtrees. I'm not to far from you. North of Springfield a bit. Just curious on your progress with your project? My grandfather always called Hackberry, "poor mans pine". Always stuck with me. Even on our toughest times, we have it pretty good this day and age. Back then they built with what they had at hand and made it work. I'm not much help on the advice. But I'm certain you can get what you want, with what you have at hand

Thank You Sponsors!