iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Must be about a dozen coats of something on there. I would really like to know what the finish is: I got a spec job coming up and thats the kind of surface it needs
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

caveman

Longtime Lurker, I contacted the guy who built and finished the cedar table.  He said that he used a two part epoxy finish that was available at Lowes in the paint section.  He did not mention how many coats that he applied.
Caveman

Resonator

My guess would be EnviroTex 2-part epoxy, which goes on thick, and dries to a high gloss shine.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jim_Rogers

Today's first happy customer came over and got a piece of 2" one natural edge slab for an outside bar. It was 10' long and I cut some off for him. He also picked up some pine bark slabs for other projects:

Today, second happy customer came to buy some natural edge 2" thick pine slabs to use for seating at a wedding. She looked at renting chairs and she didn't want to pay for them. She searched online and saw where someone else used bales of hay and put planks across them to let people sit on. She bought all I had on hand once she saw want they looked like. So she was happy and thought that she could use them for other things after the wedding. And she gave me a tip as well.
Now, I'll have cut more to have on hand.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

There is nothing better than a Happy Lady!  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

Well done. Always good to see a happy and excited customer leaving.

I think that lady may be back. Are you sure she is just interested in your lumber products? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

I told her I was getting to old to load that stuff by hand, even with her help. And that my wife wants me to retire.
I told her that I needed to take her picture as a "happy customer" for facebook and the internet.
Jim Rogers

WV Sawmiller

Well, maybe she should get a career in modeling as she does a great job as a happy customer. And I still bet she is back and likely several of her friends. Keep up the good work. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

You old goat........no, wait a minute, we already have an old goat :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 29, 2018, 03:49:24 PM
I told her I was getting to old to load that stuff by hand, even with her help. And that my wife wants me to retire.
I told her that I needed to take her picture as a "happy customer" for facebook and the internet.
Jim Rogers
Are those pine slabs...looks like a good seller. I've been thinking about cutting pine slabs live edge, just for wedding benches...could sell them cheaper than hardwood slabs. Also they look nice and flat, do you store them on your lumber pallets? Thanks Corey
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

samandothers

Could just rent them for such occasions!   Hope they don't get 'sappy' during the wedding! :D

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on June 29, 2018, 08:13:05 PM
Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 29, 2018, 03:49:24 PM
Jim Rogers
Are those pine slabs...looks like a good seller. I've been thinking about cutting pine slabs live edge, just for wedding benches...could sell them cheaper than hardwood slabs. Also they look nice and flat, do you store them on your lumber pallets? Thanks Corey
Corey:
When we had the gathering at Peter's sawmill last month, Bruno from NH told me how he was cutting 2" thick natural edge slabs and selling them as fast as he could produce them. And how he was doing it on facebook marketplace.
I started using marketplace to sell off some old oak slab pieces I had kicking around the yard for some time. I sold all I listed within 36 hours.
I then started cutting some wide 2" thick pine slabs from fresh cut logs. I have mentioned to all customer's that they are fresh cut and could be sappy. And that they should let them dry out a bit. So they have been warned.
As far as storing them; I just put them on a regular lumber stack with regular 1" stickers, but they were only there a few days to a week at most.
I cut one 2" slab at 4:30 one afternoon and listed it, it was sold by 7:30 that night.
They are easy to cut and you don't have to edge them. Just slide them off the mill and they are done. That's about the whole story, that I can tell you.
Jim Rogers

thecfarm

There's a mill around the Norridgewock area. He's on a back road. He had some white pine slabs. Had them stood up outside,by the road,by the buildings,at least 10. Quite the sight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

I guess I could post this here.  My "customer" is my Niece.  I offered and she accepted a book matched pair of slabs I glued and planned down with my router.  She did the finish work and attached the legs.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

She did a great job.  Looks like some epoxy and a nice satin finish, not too glossy.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 30, 2018, 09:40:09 PM
I guess I could post this here.  My "customer" is my Niece.  I offered and she accepted a book matched pair of slabs I glued and planned down with my router.  She did the finish work and attached the legs.

That's beautiful! Yall did a great job!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: samandothers on July 01, 2018, 09:13:41 AM
She did a great job.  Looks like some epoxy and a nice satin finish, not too glossy.
She did this last year.  IIRC, she used an epoxy to fill the cracks.  The tape on the bottom side didn't contain the epoxy the first time or two.  What a mess!  It is a dark, dark brown and you can see through the slab in a couple places.  The actual finish was not epoxy - but I don't remember what.  She is NOT a fan of high gloss and this was right on the verge of too glossy for her.  On the small end, the ripple in the grain is mesmerizing!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

teakwood

A kitchen i did for a costumer

It's made of teak wood

A night table, a little gifty for a girl i'm trying to conquer!
Also teak wood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

TimGA

TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

WV Sawmiller

Happy Birthday Tim.

Nice table. Hope it works out as planned.
Howard Green

samandothers

Not only can you raise and harvest teak, you gotta pretty nice touch creating with it too!  

Looks nice!

teakwood

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 01, 2018, 09:23:31 PM
  Happy Birthday Tim.

Nice table. Hope it works out as planned.
I think the night table did the trick, she melted right away.  It's going great!!
Also i'm pretty good at cooking and baking, so i made a dessert for her and her ma.  Here in Latinamerica you can really win a girl if you can cook as a men.

teakwood

Here is my rope closet, i'm very proud of that work. it was a ton of work.

DPatton

teakwood you should be very proud as it is a very beautiful and creative piece. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!