iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of tree is this?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 13, 2014, 10:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

York County, South Carolina. Thanks, Y'all!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Looks like a Beech to me. Hard, dense wood and very heavy.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Phorester

American beech would be my guess too.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

Only reason I knew it was looking at the pictures (excellent by the way :)). I cut a bunch of big ones all last winter on a big clearing job we had.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Almost all mine have that cankers disase. Fagus grandifolia Very good firewood,which does not matter to you,but spilts hard. Keep it dry and it's fine. It will rot out in the rain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Very valuable if quartersawn and sawn 9/4 to 12/4 thick, that it, if it dries without major cracking.  Hand tool makers really look for it, and it is as hard to find as hen's teeth. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

Yes, to American Beech. Very common here.
~Ron

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

roger 4400

Those american beech grows slow over here ( Quebec) but we have some nice one. When they grow over 12 in. in diameter, our black bears just love to climb them and get the nuts  (faines in french) that grows in those beech (they will climb over 50 feet high to get them). We can easily see when a bear climbed them because their claws bites into the thin bark and the tree carrys the scarves for ever. The biggest one I cut on my land was 2ft across and nearly 200 years old..
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!