iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marcel builds a house. 1

Started by isawlogs, March 14, 2006, 04:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I started to cut the wood for my house , had some poplar that need to be cut so that is where we are going .

The skidding of

The trees , full lenght poplar for pulp

LoadedGetting loaded,  going to the Louisiana Pacific pulp mill

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

Cool stuff Marcel, will you be using any of the poplar for your house construction?

isawlogs

It is kinda cool to be able to build the house from scratch ..   ;D
  These trees that you see are for pulp , I did though remove the saw logs from them and have them in a pile waiting for the snow to go down so I can get at them with the mill , I forgot to go back and take a pic of them   ::) , but I will     ;)
And yes I plan on making flooring with it . In my house the floor for the upstairs will also be the ceiling for downstairs , I will be cutting it into 2 X 6   and once ready will have it dressed ,V joint  tongue and grooved  .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

I'm gonna do my best to keep up with this thread. Good luck, Marcel.  8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

isawlogs

a ...  umm... going to be long .. I plan on doing this over two years  ;D  So countdown is on  ;) :) :) :)

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

No problem, Marcel. Haven't got my computer hooked up yet, and the dial-up is slow. Should keep pace pretty well, EH ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Thanks Marcel for sharing, very interesting work ahead. ;) I feel like I'm watching 'This Old House' in time lapse, only it's a new house. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dewwood

Good job Marcel!  It will be enjoyable watching as you progress through this project.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

tnlogger

good work marcel I'm looking forward to a very long thead on this  8)
gene

SwampDonkey

BTW, nice puckle of aspen. ;) :D Alot of aspen wood going to LP here as well, over in Maine.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

UNCLEBUCK

You get after it Marcel and I agree that this will be a great thread to watch . It is allready !  I will take a picture for sure of the converted silo in my town so whatever you do dont be knocking down your silo until I get that picture on here . Or when you have your big celebration someday when your house is done me and Norm  will take it down with 2 boxes of buckshot . Who ever knew that a silo falls like a tree  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

jon12345

So, what kind of house is it goin to be  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

isawlogs

It will be a sawed dovetailed log home . White pine logs sawed 8 " thick , part of the house will be post and beam with board and batten .

South elevation

Marcel

UNCLEBUCK

Oh that looks nice Marcel ! Where is my room ?  Oh yeah thats right I get the silo !  :D  Man you must be excited , I know I am !  8)

isawlogs

I think you should be rethinking blowing it up .  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am real exited , been doing a lot of googleling lately , I want to build this on a heated slab, dont need no basement . I am leaning towards an electric boiler for the heating of the slab , some kind of fire box in the living room and a good old wood cook stove somewheres in the kitchen dinning room .
  The hurling down of the pine trees should start next week  ;D There is just too much snow to play around those guys now , the machine is having enough trouble going through the snow making trails and getting the poplar out .
I have two main beams that will be 10" X 12" X 20' red oak These might be first on the cutting down list .

Marcel

barbender

I'll keep tabs on you Marcel, hopefully I get mine done before you as I am already about three years into this project.  Mines handscribed red pine, theres pics in the timberframe/logbuilding board. I am going to use 2x6 flooring as well, and I was wondering about usin aspen, I have lots of saw logs i've been selling for pulp cause right now the pulp prices here are as high as saw logs.  But I hate sending nice wood out for pulp. Anyhow, good luck on your project, can't wait to see it come along.
Too many irons in the fire

asy

Marcel, your house is so CUTE!!!

What's the floor plan like? It's so differrent to our houses here! :D

Is there a room for me? or do I gotta share the silo with buck???  ;)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Nova

Marcel, what is your timeline for this year and how far into the project do you plan to be by this fall? Will you be doing this full time or weekends and after your regular work?  What species of trees are you planning to use as well dimensions/thickness?  I am interested because it sounds like my wife and I want to do similar things on the interior of our new house and I suspect you have more experience in this area than I do.

Nova
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

isawlogs

Here you go Asy ,
  post and beam for the  mud room ,  48 feet overall width X 30 feet open kitchen  dinning room and living room. At this time we plan on having 6 rooms upstairs, 3 bedrooms , sewing room, office play area for me  ;D and a full bathroom.
  How different can houses be ..  A few walls and something over your head .  ;D
     Buck brought that apon himself , he is partial to silos , if you want to share it , you will need to deal that with him just hope he dont bring Norm and the shot guns  ;D
  This is not a typical house for here , this is a custom built home. We ( the other gender to you  ;D ) are real good at making rustic log work look cute so the wimines like the look  ;D :D

The logs are White pine 18" to 20" at BHD topped at a min. 12 " sawed 8" thick , Dovetailed corners ( 8 ) Dont know how you would do that inside an existing house .
  As for schedule ...  2 years is the plan, to many variables to saye where I am at this fall , I am hoping to have the shell done and moved onto the slab , I would like to have the roof on but if it aint .. thats ok there will  be time next year .

Marcel

Jeff

If Mark M were here, he would know what to do with that silo!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Coon

Glad to see that you're getting your house started.  I'm sure even though you got your plans down on paper that you'll still change your plans many times over.   ;D  Hope everything works out for you during the building processes.  Take your time when sawing out the timbers, you will want them as acurate as can be.  Hope you got lots of help to pull them timbers offa da mill.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Nova

I was afraid you were going to say that :( Guess I'll have to learn the hard way :P and by trial and error.  Your place is going to look nice when you are finished.  Look forward to seeing the progress.

Nova
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

DoubleD

Congratulations Marcel your home will result really nice. Well I don't want a room for me but if I come over there Do you will cook some grits to celebrate your new home ??? ;D ;D
Wannabe a sawmiller

SwampDonkey

I bet he'll have lots of moose meat. ;D

Lud

Great project,  Marcel!   It's great to live in something you built because it has part of your soul in it. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

EZ

Good for you, Marcel.
I wonder if I can take a 2 year leave from my day job. Would love to be up there to help or be in your way.
EZ

thecfarm

Glad you can do a big project like this.I had ours built.I would of never got it done.I have way too many projects outside to do.We put 3 foot doors in every room.Makes it alot eaiser to move furniture in and this is the last home we're going to have.My wife was in a wheel chair due to her leg and it was so easy to go from room to room.No carpet at our place.Too hard to keep clean.We bring alot of dirt and sawdust  ;D  inside.Helps out my allergies too.No over head cupboards.I did not want my wife standing on a stool in future years.We put in almost all draws.Pull it out and look.Don't have to pull everything out to get a certain pan.A pantry does her wonders.We put in 2 bathrooms.One has a shower stall,easier for her to get in and out when she was in a wheel chair.A high toliet in great too.Probaly don't need to hear me ramble on,but too late now.Good-luck
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

The plans cant change now , the numbers are there to stay , change them and I got to get new plans made  :-\.. I can though play around some with the inside   ;D
  If any of you wants GRITS  ya best bring yourselves a cook from ways down from me  ;D I have venison and maple sirop , not necessarily  in same plate  ;)
You can come up here and be my shadow anytime it pleases you , two years or a day or two, Any one of you are welcome to try your hand on the saw .. wether it be the Stihl or the WoodMizer , if you make it soon enough you could even try your hands on the John Deere , a little later you could be using a hammer or a sander .  ;D
     All doors in the house are to be 36" , shower on the main floor , tub upstair , No carpets here , if it aint wood its going to be tyles , There is a adition already on paper for this place  ::)  On the east side ( left on the plans ) there is a master bedroom that will be attached to the logs (timber frame ) this for my senior years when I wont want to climb the stairs .  ;) There is also another timber frame to be attached to the north side ,  12 X 12 breakfast room .
  Now these are not included in the two year plan  :)

Marcel

Coon

Gotta like that you have a long term building plan that you can do.  Keep your main focus on the main building for now.  Just don't get side tacked to easily now. :D :D  Those grits you're talking about will just spoil the project.  You'll like em so much that you'll soon forget the task at hand.  Don't ask me how I know ::) ::)
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

I think he'll be alright with the grits if he lots them up with the maple syrup. :D

wiam

Will there be a "raising"?  I bet there are a bunch of us that would come.

Will

isawlogs

One of the first pine trees to come out ,

Aspen logs to make the flooring , Pine logs to make  floor joices  8" X 10"

Todays helpers , my brother Norman and the twins Leo and Lucien .  Norm has been slashing for me and the twins where cutting the logs and helping me when I got to the landing with the skidder.

The machines that make life a little easier when moving and placing the wood .

Marcel

Paul_H

Nice stack of logs Marcel and I see the snow is gone too.(that bit of white by the skidder don't count eh.) :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

isawlogs

Paul ... thats because we cleared where the logs are to go ... there still is 18 inches where the trees are standing ..  ;)  It goes good in the morning from daybreak till 10 in the mornning , but after that the crust starts to let go and ya start to limp once in a while for the next hour then you are past your knees .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

8) Good show, Marcel  8)  Nice whack-0-logs  ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

pigman

I like your Deutz tractor. I have an older and smaller two wheel drive model.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

Looks like a great bunch of wood. And a good crew around the get'r done. ;)

I was on one hillside the other day looking at thinning and there was 3 feet of the white stuff on the ground. That was about 40 miles from here, while we have hardly any in my area.

bull

Marcel, best of luck !! Hope you have time for the EXPO, if so see you there Hey !!!  Bull

isawlogs

I found an arial pic of where I am going  . The river to the top is the north border , it fallows the field to the right and left, 2/3 of a mile to the left is the east border , 1/3 of a mile to the left[/u] right  ::)  is the west border and from the train track south 1/3 of a mile then there is one mile to the Vermont  Québec border . To the left of this pic is my little pond wich is the second and third pic .

The house will be going in front of the small barn , tucked in between the balsam trees .

Marcel

Paul_H

Very nice  8)

I think I can see a guest house and guest pool in the top picture  ;)

SwampDonkey

That's the old sewage lagoon, not the pool. ;D :D

SwampDonkey

Really nice spot Marcel. Thanks for sharing your pictures.  :) 8)

isawlogs

Paul , once my house is done there will be 12 bedrooms between the two of them .. you come over and I will make sure you get choice of ten .  ;) :D :D

Marcel

Paul_H

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 12, 2006, 06:27:10 PM
That's the old sewage lagoon, not the pool. ;D :D

I don't think you want SD over there,,he can't seem to tell the difference between the two and he's liable to pee in your pool and swim in the lagoon.  :)

asy

So, how many days of the year is the pool actually thawed???   :-X

Looks gorgeous!

UNCLEBUCK

Aqua du Marcel  8) Timber du Marcel 8) oui oui  :P

SwampDonkey

isawlogs

Well if any of you , have any idea in trying out the lagoon , I have no problem with that , but I will have a camera around to make sure it is forever printed some where that you did  ;D :D :D

Asy , last two weeks of june and all of july , if you are lucky you can swim in august , brave might be a better term to use .  ;D

Marcel

UNCLEBUCK

Excellent logging pictures and aerial photos Marcel . Beautiful place  :)

isawlogs

UB .. Ya got to make a trip up here and see it close up , I aint got no gate up , so the place is always open .  ;) :)

Marcel

UNCLEBUCK

Someday I am going to make the big trip  marcel , wont be this year but it will happen !  :)

isawlogs

Real happy to hear it aint going to be this year .. as I aint there yet  :D :D :D :D

Marcel

asy

I'm with Buck, one day I'll land on you're doorstep.

Make a heavy duty doorstep.

Lud

Eh Marcel,
                    Dug this up as we met at the pig roast last Saturday.  It would have been easier had you met my wife, Rosanna (with the little white dog) as she's fluent in Francois and Italiano...
                     Anyway,  great project and how about an update? :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!