iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reverse Roll Quarter Sawing

Started by YellowHammer, December 27, 2016, 01:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 04, 2017, 10:16:31 AM
In the Goat pen.

Y'all think ya can talk about me and I won't know it.....shhhhhhh....
I got an I on Y'all.....
Or the shorter, easier, and much more convienient abbreviation ......

IGAIOY.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

Look out we all have been IGAIOYEd!   :P
1992 LT40HD

WDH

Oh No!  I have been IGAIOYed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

I nearly think this post should be a sticky.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

YellowHammer

One of the things I learned at the Sycamore Project was that I needed a bigger chainsaw bar to more conveniently split big logs in half.  For quartersawing, bigger logs is better, and around here, once they get real big, their price goes down because the big mills don't want to mess with them.  So bigger logs for less money means I needed to learn some tricks of splitting logs.  Customsawyer did a great demo ripping a log in half, so it inspired me to get a bigger bar. 

After many, many phone calls I finally located a 52 inch Forester bar. 
Here is the long bar, mounted on the saw, resting on the BushHog, and it seems to do real well so far.

Here is also the latest load of quartersawn wood straight from the kiln, about to be dead stacked, for its trip to the planer.  About 3,500 board feet, give or take, some boards more than 16 inches wide.  The owner of the commercial wood millwright shop that does the planing told me that he had not seen quartersawn wood that wide in decades and everybody was talking about it at the shop. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

That should do the job, 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

warren46

Quote from: YellowHammer on June 21, 2017, 11:32:32 PM
One of the things I learned at the Sycamore Project was that I needed a bigger chainsaw bar to more conveniently split big logs in half.  ... So bigger logs for less money means I needed to learn some tricks of splitting logs.  Customsawyer did a great demo ripping a log in half, so it inspired me to get a bigger bar. 

After many, many phone calls I finally located a 52 inch Forester bar. 
Here is the long bar, mounted on the saw, resting on the BushHog, and it seems to do real well so far.

Here is also the latest load of quartersawn wood straight from the kiln, about to be dead stacked, for its trip to the planer.  About 3,500 board feet, give or take, some boards more than 16 inches wide.  The owner of the commercial wood millwright shop that does the planing told me that he had not seen quartersawn wood that wide in decades and everybody was talking about it at the shop. 

I split this one with a 60 cc saw and a 24" bar.  It took a little work with wedges and a maul to finish the job.

I got some 22 inch wide boards out of each quarter.

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

rasman57

Wow.  Sweet!
I wonder if that blade comes with an optional truss and directions to the chiropractor ... wheeliechair

Savannahdan

Just lay the bar and chain on the log and it'll do the work.  Have fun!
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WDH

I am going to have to work some more on the finer points of reverse roll quartersawing  :D

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

That happens to me too often, quarter sawing or not. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

I never do things like that - unless there is a big audience.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I thought you was gona talk about reverse roll quarter sawing and here is Danny setting up his skateboard/bicycle ramp on the tire of his sawmill. Obviously he has been grinding that ramp a lot to have the edges all smoothed off at such angles so you know this isn't the first time. ;D ;D ;D

I have had a request from a landowner that we are now logging on, for 800 bdft of q sawn lumber from his post oak trees. They have quite a few that are pretty nice and I hate wasting much of them, so i devised a plan. The logs are big. I think we will be able to saw out a 23'' cant without too much bark on the corners. Then we will saw a 7x9 tie out of the heart leaving 4 pieces that should yield 50% quarter sawn material and the other 50% will be grade,some of which will need edged. I realize that the q sawn stuff will not be perfect, but will yield edged boards that are 6''to 8'' wide.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

YellowHammer

Well, it was looking good up until then. :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Darrel

I looked across the mill at the other tire to make sure there wasn't another ramp over there. :D
1992 LT40HD

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on September 28, 2017, 07:48:23 AM
I am going to have to work some more on the finer points of reverse roll quartersawing  :D

oops.....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

4x4American

I hate it when that happens :D

Hey I have a public service announcement to all you pith measurers..I noticed at the project I was at two years ago that yawl measure the pith from the bed up to it to level it.  We all know that the log aint never in the perfect spot to do that and sometimes its hard to get an accurate reading.  So I'll just share what I like to do, it might add an extra second to the front end but it takes two off the back end and is more accurate.  I bring the head up high enough to clear the whole log front to back, and drive the sawhead over each end of the log and measure down from the blade to the pith to get it level.  Obviously make sure you don't move the head up or down, keep it at say 34" for example. On the WM mills you can slightly adjust the head to being perfectly over the pith if you over/undershoot it.  I just hook the tape to the back of the blade and measure down.  If the log is too big to drive the head over then u gotta eyeba it and trim it first then adjust it or just do it from the bed.
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Ljohnsaw

I just lay a 4 foot level across my rails and measure up from that.  I can do that anywhere.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

I guess that I am just a Southern Pith Measurer  :).   

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

Quote from: 4x4American on September 28, 2017, 11:29:15 PM
Quote from: Darrel on September 28, 2017, 11:18:08 PM
4x4, that's how I do it.

I invented it go away!!  lol

Hey, you're the one That made the public service announcement. I was just keeping it all to myself.  ;D
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!