iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drive Belt Tension on LT-40 Diesel (Yanmar 35)

Started by Jjoness4, August 11, 2018, 09:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jjoness4

Started getting some wavy cuts in red oak (cutting with 4 degree blades).  Checked drive belt tension and it was indeed too low, about 11 lbs to get the 7/16" deflection.  My question is what are you running your drive belt tension on.  I called Woodmizer and fellow said that the manual says 14 but manual is not up to date.  Woodmizer Maintenance video says to use 18 lbs for the diesel engine.  Woodmizer rep says to use 16 lbs as a compromise which is what I went back with.  Like the vain lady buying shoes, she wears size 8 but 7's feel so good she buys size 6  8).  So what should it be.  Seems like a very important spec.  Too tight and engine damage.  Too loose and belts wear out and cut quality is bad.  
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

ladylake

I think the crank is way tougher on a Yanmar than a Cat, never heard of one breaking.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

CCCLLC

I keep mine at 14lbs, knowing I can always go up by 2lbs if I see a wave, if needed.

highleadtimber16

11 lb is too low. I run mine at 16-18lb. I believe the recommended tension is 16lb with 7/16" deflection.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

MartyParsons

Hello.
 2017 Yanmar diesel would have the crank support kit. This means well you go a little more on drive belt tension.
Marty

Auto clutch manual is where you will find the spec for engine drive belt tension.

7/16" (11mm) 18 lbs. (8.16kg)  This is for the engine listed Yanmar 35 hp diesel with crank support kit.

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Jjoness4

Quote from: MartyParsons on August 11, 2018, 11:23:06 PM
Hello.
2017 Yanmar diesel would have the crank support kit. This means well you go a little more on drive belt tension.
Marty

Auto clutch manual is where you will find the spec for engine drive belt tension.

7/16" (11mm) 18 lbs. (8.16kg)  This is for the engine listed Yanmar 35 hp diesel with crank support kit.
Thanks Marty.  My mill was manufactured in December 2016 and I took delivery in January 2017.  Does it have the crank support kit.  Thanks to all for their feedback.
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

Thank You Sponsors!