iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbe here with new WM LT15

Started by plowboyoo51, September 19, 2014, 06:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plowboyoo51

Ok guys newbie here just cut my first lumber from my new WM LT15. The first thing I did was make a trailer for it before I set up the mill. It took about two weeks and I am now sawing my first logs. I have figured out most of the basic stuff thanks to this forum, now come the tuff part.  I am sawing some pine logs that I have retrieved form a construction land fill site so I do not where or how long they have been cut. I have a 22 inch log that has what appears to have some insect damage. My question is there any product that I can spray on the finished wood to kill any insects. as soon as I figure out how to  how to create a photo album I will post some photos

Bob

WM LT 15

plowboyoo51

got my album working and I have post some photos

WM LT 15

Chuck White

Nice setup you've got there Bob!

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

Having the trailer will really make it nice!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

plowboyoo51,welcome to the forum. Here at my place them bugs are too cold to move. Where are you all from?   ;D  What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

plowboyoo51

First off I am going to build a shelter for my mill. I own a small campground in the Carolinas and I am going to build several small cabens for our  guest that do no own campers and lord only knows what else.
WM LT 15

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: plowboyoo51 on September 19, 2014, 07:54:34 PM
First off I am going to build a shelter for my mill. I own a small campground in the Carolinas and I am going to build several small cabens for our  guest that do no own campers and lord only knows what else.

Where do you live in the Carolinas?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

The insects that are in that pine will leave once the boards begin to dry as they need the moisture to do their thing.  I don't think that you need to spray it.  Best thing is to sticker it under cover like an open shed or cover the pile with tin or something like that, just a roof over the stack, and run a couple of fans blowing on the stack to accelerate the drying. 

Hardwood is a different animal altogether. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Philngruvy

Quote from: WDH on September 19, 2014, 09:23:33 PM

Hardwood is a different animal altogether.

What would you recommend for hardwoods, such as oak, maple, cherry etc?
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

WDH

I generally spray most hardwoods with a borate solution to prevent powderpost beetle infestation if the wood will be stored outside under a barn or a shed for a long time.  These beetles get in dry hardwood and ruin it.  They can carry-over from infested lumber that you might bring into your house, say in a furniture project that you built, and they can infest wood in your house, like your hardwood floors. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!