iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started to cut some nice Red oak

Started by Woodboogah, June 28, 2014, 10:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Hardwood market is hot and got the go ahead (after many mind changes) to start cutting some really nice Red Oak

Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

barbender

Very nice! What are the Red oak saw logs paying?
Too many irons in the fire

cutter88

Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Woodboogah

THe red oak is paying between 6-825/mbf.  There are some monsters on this lot.  Originally I was not going to be cutting any oak and that has changed a few times, start cutting it and then they dont want it cut.  I was going to move out of there and they said cut it all.  I will be in there until the fall most likely cutting oak and pine some big pine too.

That tree yielded 14' 16' 16' 12' 12' before a  10" small end. 

barbender

Wow! Beautiful timber- they finally came around when you offered to leave, huh? A guys got to make an ultimatum once in a while to get people to listen >:(

jimnhrn

You know as a landowner of 200 plus acres I am approached by loggers on a regular basis. I want a neat job and when I view a lot of the local logging (Manchester NH area) I see hit and run, Stumps two to three feet tall and nothing left for the next for the next 50 years. The landings are a mess. I know it doesn't apply to every logger but locally, not impressed.  I would like a good clean job with enough left to come back in ten to fifteen years.

thecfarm

I have a hobby. I check loggers work. I have seen some mighty nice jobs and some mighty bad jobs. I usally go in quite a ways too. Some are kinda hard to look at,but sometimes I hope it will get better and it don't. These are cable,grapple,CTL,chip operations,forwarders jobs. Sometimes only a skidder and a chainsaw is used.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I don't think bad (or good) work is limited to any type of operation, whether CTL, conventional, or a chainsaw/cable skidder outfit. I work on a CTL crew, I've seen some really nice CTL work and really poor. Actually some of the nicest looking jobs I have seen were by conventional crews with chippers, because all of the slash was pulled out and chipped, so no mess left behind. But looks can be somewhat decieving, those tops contain all the nutrients so although it looks great, it may not be the best for forest health down the road.

Woodboogah

Just like everything else there are good and bad.  You rarely hear about the good and always hear about the bad.  I have yet to knock on a door to look for work.  I hope that says something about my work. 

cutter88

And I think it's only fair to say a hammered bush isn't always the loggers fault I've had land owners say to me I own 100 acres I never use but I need the money so take every piece of murchantable timber off it!
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: jimnhrn on June 29, 2014, 08:56:50 PM
You know as a landowner of 200 plus acres I am approached by loggers on a regular basis. I want a neat job and when I view a lot of the local logging (Manchester NH area) I see hit and run, Stumps two to three feet tall and nothing left for the next for the next 50 years. The landings are a mess. I know it doesn't apply to every logger but locally, not impressed.  I would like a good clean job with enough left to come back in ten to fifteen years.

Sounds like you need the woodboogah. He is in you region.  8)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Corley5

Quote from: cutter88 on June 30, 2014, 06:19:43 AM
And I think it's only fair to say a hammered bush isn't always the loggers fault I've had land owners say to me I own 100 acres I never use but I need the money so take every piece of murchantable timber off it!

Yup, I've done that  :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

luvmexfood

Quote from: barbender on June 30, 2014, 12:03:38 AM
I don't think bad (or good) work is limited to any type of operation, whether CTL, conventional, or a chainsaw/cable skidder outfit. I work on a CTL crew, I've seen some really nice CTL work and really poor. Actually some of the nicest looking jobs I have seen were by conventional crews with chippers, because all of the slash was pulled out and chipped, so no mess left behind. But looks can be somewhat decieving, those tops contain all the nutrients so although it looks great, it may not be the best for forest health down the road.

I can agree with that. Where I have been logging here on the farm slash was never dealt with in the past except for maybe a little firewood. You will find some of the richest blackest soil in these areas. Around here blacker soil is good since it has a lot of organic matter.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thecfarm

I call bad,trees that get barked,broke off,run over or trees that was cut and just pushed out of the way and left. Really anything that is wasted. I know it does not pay to go after a 4 inch that was left behind too. But there should not be alot of them left behind either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine logger88

Nice looking wood! Always fun too cut the big stuff
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Woodboogah

This job that I am on now is a good example of what you guys are talking about.  The landowners dont want to sell any firewood (think of all those oak tops) no other hardwood beside oak, and then the pine.  So it's hard to go through the woods and not make a mess just cutting scattered oak and pine.  There is a lot of damage being done which on any other lot can be taken care of because those trees can be sold in some market.  Now you are stuck between getting the production you need while doing an aesthetically good job.  For me it's a tough spot to be in because I would rather take a little bit of a hit in the pocket to leave a lot that is a clean job (this is a heavliy recreated piece).  Leaving a mess also means putting a bad name to logging.  But there is only so much you can do and also stay out of the red.  Just my opinion.

chester_tree _farmah

I agree. Plucking trees here and there is not very efficient. That's what I do on my lot when cutting a mixed load of saw logs. In the long run it is a good thing but I can see where it isn't productive. Especially when trying to avoid residual damage.

R u selling veneer out of that oak?

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Woodboogah

CCC4

This is a really good thread! I think there is a false perception that every logging site is going to look like a park afterward....it just doesn't happen all the time.

I'm on a unit right now...looks like very little select cutting has been done in the last 80 years. I am cutting the pine and hardwood sawlogs out of it. Yesterday I was cutting massive topped White oak and needless to say...I don't care how good of a faller you are, those trees are going to take a big section of smalls out when they land. Only thing you can do is clearcut EVERYTHING out from underneath the large trees but LO's don't want that. I cut all the bow overs but I leave them laying. We sell zero firewood in this region. Well what I mean is you will never see a hardwood crew cutting firewood out of the large tops. Actually if I was caught doing so...I would probably get a really big talking to or a what the Hell are you cutting tops for.

A good faller can save out small save timber all day long only to watch a skidder OP mow it over, whether by skidding or just trying to get to the cut timber.

I was on a unit here a few weeks ago where I literally begged my boss and the LO to come back during dry weather. The LO was in trouble with the law and we were told to work regaurdless of ruts due to the high volume of rain. My cutting looked good but the rut damage was inexcusable. There was nothing me and my skidder OP could do. I guess I could have quit my job and stayed at the house...that was my only option. Sections of this unit were ruined...such a disaster. When you have your boss and the LO pushing you to do something you know deep down inside is a mistake...there just isn't a whole lot that can be done.

I miss my ERC days of toting out the logs on my shoulder or using my draft horses to skid. My jobs looked awesome when finished. However that is like comparing apples to oranges really...hardwood logging vs. ERC is not comparable in any Universe. Needless to say if the huge large hardwood tops are not being processed also...things aren't going to look great afterward. Firewood here brings $35 a rick or I think $70 a cord...yeh it gets left to firewood cutters...not logging crews.

Woodboogah

I agree 100% with you.  The best jobs that I get (and who I try to market to) are the LO's who are in it for the long haul.  They want their woodlot as an investment.  The lot looks good when I get done.  Start from the back and work to the front and left with little to no residual damage.  These are the lots I show to perspective clients. 

On a side note a friend of mine who helps me out with residential tree work has been chopping for me on the lot I am on and he said to me at lunch one day: "dont you ever feel bad ruining all these young trees?"  I said yes, because I do but had to explain what we are talking about on this thread.  He got it.

chester_tree _farmah

Yep. On the positive side, just think of those big swaths u make felling the big boys as semi selective thinning.

Saw a job right up the road from me like you describe last fall. Huge ruts on a river lot to boot. Also saw an oak log of a lifetime wrecked by poor cutting and bucking.

Leaving some wood behind on the ground isn't a bad thing in the long run. Pristine city park woods are usually sterile woods. Whole tree harvesting probably does more damage as nothing is left behind to add to the soil. IMO.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!