iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The smell of spruce sawdust

Started by lyle niemi, September 07, 2013, 08:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

and a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning makes a good start for the day!! 8)

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

White pine[pinus strobus]is not too shabby ether,cut it real green and you can feel the mist off the saw.Do you have white pine out your way lyle.? Should be a better winter for you this year out of the snow rain and wind. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

GDinMaine

Just got done sawing some Tamarack (Larch) yesterday.  The trees were felled about a week ago and smelled absolutely wonderful. It was a bit of a citrus hint mixed with the smell of pitch.  I have no pictures but also has some very nice grain.  Sawed about 20 logs into timber and framing lumber.  I wish that job lasted longer.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

JustinW_NZ

Macrocarpa (Monterey cypress) is up there on the "must smell" list its spicy smell is just a pleasure.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Ianab

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on September 08, 2013, 04:20:52 AM
Macrocarpa (Monterey cypress) is up there on the "must smell" list its spicy smell is just a pleasure.

Cheers
Justin

100% agree on that one.  ;D Nothing quite like it, and haven't met anyone that doesn't like the smell.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

m wood

Lyle, so far about 99% of what I have sawed is Spruce.  Love it and we never get tired of smelling those boards.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Chuck White

Agreed, the smell of sawdust in the morning.  Aaaahhhhh.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

A friend thinks that sawn Tamarack smells like Fruit Loops :) There, I turned things to food ;D
Too many irons in the fire

SPD748

Now, if only I could find a tree that smells like grits with bacon...  food1

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Chuck White

Quote from: barbender on September 08, 2013, 09:34:50 AM
A friend thinks that sawn Tamarack smells like Fruit Loops :) There, I turned things to food ;D

I think that fresh Tamarack smells like "Cloverene salve", I remember way back, my mom would mailorder it out of a catalog!

Very pleasant smell!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

Chuck, I don't know anything about "cloverene salve", but there is a plant near me in Cohassett, MN that processes tamarack for it's essential oils, they use it in a few products. I'm not even sure what all they make with it. I think they make health food supplements with it, for one thing. Maybe that "Cloverene salve" had a little tamarack juice in it ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Thank You Sponsors!