iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New and waiting

Started by Jake-n-Texas, March 11, 2015, 09:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake-n-Texas

Hey I'm new here and just purchased a woodlands mill today so I'm waiting on it to come in. I'm 31 and live in houston but the mill will be in limestone county at my parents weekend place where I plan on building myself a cabin close by with the wood I cut from the mill. I plan on just cutting wood for myself and friends and family. If I could make enough to pay for the mill I would be super happy. I'm very new to working with wood but my stepfather has a woodworking shop where my mill will be. I was going to get the HF mill but decided to get the woodlands. I've already went and picked myself up a cant hook, chainsaw, skidding tongs for when it comes in. I was wondering if their is anything else y'all can think of that I might need. 

tmarch

Welcome and congratulations.  Sorry not much I can think of that you will need except some additional bands and safety equipment.  Have fun and enjoy!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

customsawyer

Congrats on the mill and welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

pineywoods

Bbblades...they will dull quicker than you think. Don't wait untill all your blades are dull before you think about sharpening...For a beginner, usually the best option is buy your blades from someone who does re-sharp...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum and good luck!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jake-n-Texas, and I wish you the very best with your new venture.  Ask questions and take some pictures.  (Picture posting instruction are at the bottom of the index page.)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jake-n-Texas

Thanks everyone. I do plan on ordering a ten pack of blades before the mill comes in, just not sure what ones I want to get yet. I do plan on taking pics of everything as I get going.

dean herring

Welcome to the forum . Caution it can be habit forming.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

RM Farm

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your mill. I can say you are really going to like that mill. Did you order an extra track? Or just get it stock? Either way, loads of fun!!  :)
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

thecfarm

Jake-n-Texas,welcome to the forum.Should not take long to get your money back from the mill cutting out a cabin. How are you getting the logs to the sawmill? You may have to take an axe or something and scrape the bark off where the blade will be cutting. Blades do not like dirt. Lay down 2 logs the opposite way the mill sits,just a little higher than the mill too,so they will roll on easier and put your logs on them and roll them onto the mll.If you are cutting the trees you need a hard hat and chaps too. Good boots too. And a good back!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Welcome to the forum, Jake-n-Texas, and congratulations on the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

Don't forget to cut a good supply of stickers so your boards will dry properly.
al glenn

WDH

I would go with two boxes of blades, 10 blades to a box.  That way, you can send off one box to get re-sharpened while you are using the blades from the other box. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

Jake, I have the same mill. Got it about 1 1/2 months ago.

When you get it, try to get a level area to put it together. First things to cut are some 6x6 cants. Something that you can build a platform to move the mill on to get it up higher. That will make life easy once you really start milling.

I built that to house the mill head. BIG NOTE! Get some 3" screws to screw everything together to hold them in place or you can knock things over. Yes, I did. ;D

What kind of trees are you planning on milling? I'm milling hardwood with the 10 degree blades and I find it hard on the mill. I will be ordering some 7 degree blades to see if that helps.

Another thing. You will have to adjust everything a few times to get things set. You will need a 14, 16mm socket to put everything together. Any questions, just call them. They are very helpful. Only question they couldn't give a answer to was how much oil to put in the motor. Even the motor instructions didn't say. That is a little over a qt. :D

Jake-n-Texas

Yes I did order an extra six feet of track with it. I also have access to two tractors that I will be using to skid and load the logs with.

fishfighter

With the extra track, I'm able to cut 16'6" boards. A good set of saw horses to put on the other side of the mill to stack your boards coming off the mill helps. Also stacking the cut offs there, you can cut those up with a chainsaw. In my case, I taking thick first cuts. I will be selling that as firewood next fall. I'm cutting Red Oak which brings a good price for firewood in my area. No waste there. ;D

Jake-n-Texas

I really like your setup fishfighter. I will be sawing different oaks, Ashe juniper what people call cedar around here, mesquite, pine and hopefully I will get a hold of some pecan and walnut.
What brand blades do you guys think I should try first.

schmism

FYI as to how many blades.   Consider this.  many of the guys that make a living at portable milling will change blades at lunch and at the end of the day.   so roughly 2 a day without any crashes (nails, back stays etc)    If your a hobby miller you may be able to extend that to a blade a day.   so a box of 10 blades may last a 5 to 10 days of sawing.   avg turnaround for Wood-Mizer Resharp is about 5-7 days.   

Thus the recommendation of 2 boxes when getting started.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

fishfighter

I bought a box from Woodland when I ordered my mill. I'm about to order another box or order two or three 7 degree blades to try. Like I said, my mill is having a bit of a hard time cutting wet, fresh fell Red Oak that are a avg of 25" wide on the butt end.

My usage has been about one blade a day to about 500 bf.

goose63

Welcome to the Forum watch the back stops  and have fun I sure am

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sandsawmill14

Quote from: dean herring on March 11, 2015, 11:17:48 PM
Welcome to the forum . Caution it can be habit forming.
x 2 ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Jake-n-Texas

So I went a head and order ten blades from timber wolf.  I can't wait for the mill and everything else to get here. 

valley ranch

Happy for you Jake, that all sounds great. We all like pictures, so when you've time show us the new mill,,,,,,,,,,,and what you build with it.

SawyerBrown

Welcome, Jake!

What else you gonna need?  A strong back!  Oh, wait, you're 31 ... never mind.

Have some fun!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Texas Ranger

Welcome aboard, Jake, just a few more Texans and we can invade the north!  smiley_big-grin2
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!