iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for ideas for creating out door furiture

Started by Blue Sky, October 04, 2012, 09:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Sky

I want to start producing unique furniture from all the weird wood I have been millung over the years.  I have some experience building structures to live in, just little expertise with furniture.  Species I have are Spaulted sugar Maple, lots of black locust, cherry.  Lots of interesting wiggles.  What kinds of tools would be helpful?

WDH

Member PostonLT40HD makes some awesome benches.  Do a search on benches and look for some of his work. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

For outdoor furniture the Black Locust is the wood to use.

The spalted maple has already started to decay, let that get wet and it's going to continue, rapidly. Cherry will last a little while, but isn't really considered a "durable" wood.

As for tools, depends what you want to make. For something like these:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60896.0.html
A lunchbox planer, a jigsaw, a sander and and drill / driver would get you started.

After that the skies the limit really. Routers come in really handy, and there are all sorts of jigs you can build to make them more useful. A bandsaw and/or table saw is certainly handy.

But which is more useful depends on what you are actually intending to build.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Planman1954

Blue Sky:
One of the most important statements I remember from my college industrial arts days is the quote: "Don't buy a tool until you need it."

That is good advice! In other words, if I were to build outdoor furniture and had nothing, the first thing I would need would be a hand held circular saw (Skilsaw). A step up would be a good table saw.
Next would be a wood planer....buy a good one that is heavy!
Other than that, a hand held drill, a jig saw, an orbital sander and a 3" belt sander, a hammer, a square...and I'm ready to build a house OR furniture! have fun....and take pictures!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Blue Sky....Outdoor furniture building is very rewarding.
There's different styles of outdoor furniture.
You can have every tool in the book and you can make furniture to look like it came right out of the store.

That's was not the plan I had at all.
I wanted to style my furniture to where a customer would say " I haven't seen anything like that since my Grandfather made one of those.

Most of my furniture was made with a chainsaw and a belt sander......after sawing the slabs on my mill.
Then nothing more than ring shanked nails, screws, hammer and a nail gun and sometimes an outdoor glue.

Her is a set I made from nothing more than small cedar trees, a hammer and ring shanked nails. The tops of the tables are nothing more than 1 inch Walnut boards.
After collecting all my Cedar, It took me 3 days to put it all together. Put it on Craigs List and sold it for $1100.00.

Her is a Cedar set I am working on now. It is built from Cedar slabs, Elm legs and the vines are Muscadine. So far the bench is complete, but I have plans for a coffee table and 2 end tables. Excuse the mess as this is still in the dirty shop.

The point is, like Planman said.....don't buy a tool until you need it. You can build some pretty furniture with a primitive look and it don't take many tools.

When I sell it I market it as Patio Furniture or Outdoor Furniture or Cabin Furniture......the words you use, WILL make a difference when selling.

Ianab made some very good points, in fact everything he said was exactly right.

This is just my 2 cents worth and I wish you all the luck and remember.....you can have your questions answered by someone on the Forum.

Thanks for the plug Danny!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 05, 2012, 08:12:55 PM
Put it on Craigs List and sold it for $1100.00. 

David, I think you got cheated. That ensemble should have brought two or three times that price. It's wonderful. You really have an artsy bent, I hope you know.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!