iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Unusual request- shark teeth

Started by Daren, July 31, 2005, 08:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I need some shark teeth for a lady who loves the sea (she knows all the light houses in North America, and visits them for vacation) I want to do an inlay piece. When I was a kid my Grandma lived in the Kissimmee area, we would visit every other year. The roads where covered with shells... I used to go out and pick out the teeth. I would bring sandwich bags back to Illinois and swap the other school kids for silver dollars, pocket knives... I don't need anything big, just the little ones like I used to find. Can any of my Southern brothers help me out? I guess I could swap some of the silver dollars or pocket knives I got 20 years ago.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Fla._Deadheader

I will have to look. I did have a very few, up to 2" on a side  ;D :D ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

The fish market might be a place to look for smaller ones.
Just think how many are thrown away after processing. ::)

Tom

There are millions upon millions of them laying around Florida.  Most are easier to find around a dredging area.  I could never find them but my sons could walk along and pick them up by the handfulls.  'course they are grown up now and their eyes are a lot farther away from the ground than they used to be.  :)

I'll ask the local kids to look if they go to the river.

Daren

2", the ones I used to find would fit on a dime, that would suit me. I guess the bigger the better. I gotta question for you Fla._Deadheader. Aren't those sunken logs good places for snake dens? I keep trying to post, but you guys keep posting how they are all over down there. I could use a few.

CHARLIE

Daren, if you were finding the shark teeth around Kissimee, then I imagine they were from ancient sharks.  Sharks teeth are in many rows.  A row of new teeth will appear towards the snout and as they mature and get bigger the rows move further into the mouth. Sharks are always losing their teeth which are replaced by a new row. That's why there are so many shark teeth to find. They've been losing lots of teeth for thousands of years.

Another bit of trivia.....Shark are not fish.  Fish have bone and sharks do not have bone. Their internal support is cartilage.

Sharks give live birth......but.......the baby sharks are attached to a yolk inside the mother shark instead of to an umbilical cord.  :P 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

OK Charlie, Mr. Smarty Pants.  Is a mullet a fish or a fowl? It has fins, or are they wings?  It has scales, but are they really just real hard feathers?  It has a gizzard, but is it....er...don't that make it a bird? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Ya know DanG, I just love eatin' fried mullet roe and mullet gizzards. Ya have to watch out about eatin' too much roe though 'cause they'll grease yore britches in a hurry. The mullet gizzards taste jes like chicken gizzards but are conical in shape.  The Yanks up here in these parts always look at me cock-eyed when I tell them of a fish that has a gizzard.  I reckon they have a gizzard cuz they are vegetarians.  Maybe that is the answer to the age old question, "Which came first the chicken or the egg?"  Maybe the answer is neither, it was the mullet. Maybe.....just maybe.....a million years ago a couple of mullet got tired of swimming and walked ashore and became a chicken.  ;D

Now that reminds me of a story.  Tom has always been the real fisherman in our family. Back in he early 1960's he owned a cast net and could throw it as pretty as you please.  I could get it to spread out but it always had a flat side.  Anyway, we used to go down to the Indian River and cast the net for mullet.  Well.......one day it was his turn to throw the net.  Tom was out about knee deep or so and spots a single mullet coming by.  He laid that net out real pretty like and as it settled over the mullet....WHAMO!!!!! :o.....something big came up from underneath and took that mullet.  Was it a shark?  Was it a Tarpon?  Was it a big Snook? We'll never know but Tom literally wasn't waiting around to find out.  I swear I saw him walk on top of the water coming back to shore.  Oh......and that ended our fishing for the day......there was a huge hole in the net and I don't think Tom was anxious to wander back out there for awhile. :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Andy Henriksen

Quote from: CHARLIE on July 31, 2005, 11:39:18 PM

Another bit of trivia.....Shark are not fish.  Fish have bone and sharks do not have bone. Their internal support is cartilage.

Sharks give live birth......but.......the baby sharks are attached to a yolk inside the mother shark instead of to an umbilical cord.  :P 

Maybe you were just being a smart aleck, but in case someone believes you, here is the truth from

Link to an Article

"...Fish are classified into the Vertebrata Subphylum... The fish are further classified into three classes.  These classes are the Agnatha, jawless fish such as the hagfish and lampreys; the Chrondrichthyes, fish whose skeleton is made of cartilage such as sharks, rays and skates; and the Osteichthyes, fish whose skeleton is composed mostly of bone such as bass, perch, catfish, and flounder.  There are approximately 50 species of jawless fish, 600 species of cartilaginous fish and more than 30,000 species of bony fish.  The bony fish, Osteichthyes, are then further classified into two main groups called the ray-finned group (e.g., perch, and catfish) and the lobe-finned group (e.g., lungfish)..." 

rvrdivr

Daren I got some teeth for yuh. I don't have many left but I'll scrape up a few. How many you needen ??? Got a few fossil gator teeth too.

The reason shark teeth are found all over Florida is that Florida was under water around 50 million years ago. At this time there was a fossil rich layer of limestone deposited. The most common was the Suwannee and Ocala Limestone Formations. Thousands of different marine fossils make up these formations including shark teeth. Florida finally emerged from the sea around 37.5 million years ago.

Give me an address and I send them to yuh.

Brian

Fla._Deadheader

We done looked everywhere. We had about a dozen, but, Ed sells all that stuff at the shop, and he may have sold 'em all.  Sorry.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Weekend_Sawyer

That's one of the things I really like about this forum. You learn things weather you want to or not.
I tell ya it's better than PBS and NO membership drives :) :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Daren

like CHARLIE said, the ones I found were fossils. The township used crushed shells to pave the roads and the teeth just happened to be in there. rvrdivr, I used to bring some gator teeth back with me too. We were good friends with a cattle man, he had many acres with alot of water holes. When a gator went belly up we would take his teeth, the root was 2x as long as the part hanging out of his mouth. Cool, I will e-mail you my address.

Gabby

It may take awhile but I'll see if I can find my ex-wife!
Never enuf time

Daren

Brian, setting here looking at the teeth you sent. Thanks much. I would hate to go swimming with the one that the biggin' came from. I like them all, my wife said "Isn't that cute" when I showed her the itty bitty one. I will put them to good use and post a pic.

Thanks again, Daren.

Thank You Sponsors!