iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makes/quality/rep

Started by Drew62, March 11, 2019, 03:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew62

Great forum,and v.interesting trawling through it.Reading it,like most things its heavily American biased-no drama.Like most things theres a lot of debate about brands/quality.So,I thought I would throw this out from a U.K. perspective.Like you over the pond the choice is basically husky v stihl re:chainsaws.Bear in mind some of these opinions are mine/some are from random carpenters/tradesmen-who tend to know their stuff.As regards chainsaws,I would say stihl are probably top of the list due to the perception of German quality engineering (leaving aside price points here).Also the Electrolux situation hit huskey's I suspect-Saying that,husky saws sell well too..As to 4 stroke engines,kawis are the top of the food chain,followed closely by hondas,kohler and subaru and hyundai try to penetrate the market,kubota ride-on mowers are top dollar.Briggs and stratton would not be a choice on anything I buy (personal opinion here)due to when I first started out in business and bought mowers made by huskvarna with briggs engines-I wont bore you with the issues,suffice to say I vowed never to buy a machine made by huskvarna,or any machine powered by briggs ever again-unfair?possibly,but the combination of the two got 3 chances...As to battery stuff,De wallt sells ok,but is regarded as a bit 'toytown' due to the colours+the 'taint' of black&decker.Makita are seen as a solid choice and sell well both to discerning home owners and pros,milwaukee are chipping away at the market,but struggle to make serious inroads.A lot of carpenters rate festool really highly but they are top,top dollar.These are just my thoughts from across the pond,and some of them ARE subjective.
A slave to the machines.

Inaotherlife

I bought an expensive Italian shop vac for $30 at a pawn shop. Probably got it so cheap because nobody knew what it was, including the seller.
It's super quiet. And has a long industrial quality hose, like at the car wash.

Couldn't remember the name off the top of my head, and took me a couple of different searches to find it.

It's a Fein Turbo II. And has a feature where it will come on when you flip the switch on the table saw, or bandsaw, or whatever tool you have it attached to is turned on.

My take on it. I wouldn't pay retail price for it. I love the heavy duty rubber hose, and the low noise.
But it's not as powerful as the much less expensive Rigid that I bought 25 or 30 years ago. And it didn't come with all the attachments either.

I'm mostly an opportunistic shopper and have no brand loyalty to anybody. And I could give a rats butt if anyone thinks my bought at wholesale price DeWalt battery tools look like toys.
I also have a few Makita's and I think they're about as sturdy as they come.
If I'd found the same deals on Milwaukee I'd have just as soon had them.

A cheap off brand high wheel push mower with a Honda engine. Subaru pressure washer. Craftsman(made by Husqvarna?) riding mower.

I have a few old Poulan saws, as well as an old Homelite, an old Stihl, and a newer used Husky. And a newer German made Dolmar. Mostly products of a new case of CAD, but a couple of leftovers.

But most of my saws, string trimmers, and blowers are Echo. About half bought new and half used. They're quality equipment and a good value. And easy to find good deals on.

These are my three favorite saws to use.

My demands aren't generally on an industrial scale.

AZ_builder

I've only ever bought stihl chain saws. Grew up that way and they work. I'm sure other saws could be as good or better but stihl is what I buy. I bought a husky string mower which has been awesome! Generator is Honda, wood splitter is Honda, pressure washer is Honda. Electric tools are mostly skil, Bosch, and ryobi. I've been thru 5-6 hammer drills and bosh has help up the best.

Thank You Sponsors!