iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siatic nerve pain

Started by tree-farmer, April 26, 2018, 06:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

while asleep they will breath for you, when you wake up and want to hear all that, and eat the ice cream, remember to not hold your breath (i.e. don't hold your breath waiting!)  the best Dr.s technically, are sometimes not that friendly ( i.e. do not blow smoke up your asthma)  and the hard part is every person is a little different, and responds diff. to medications and procedures.  Your happiness with all involved so far says something about you as well, meaning you prob. have realistic expectations.  Just like working on complex machinery, you may think you know what is wrong, and confirm it with tests, and fix it and it still does not work.  You must also be somewhat patient, and you being healthy so far in your life means you worked your  bottom off and prob. pushed yourself to the limit.  not sure what good all this post does for you, but I had fun commenting!!!  I hope you find relief soon.  it is often the little things for a long time that wear us down.  My grandma used to say, "I am sick and tired of being sick and tired".  We can tolerate big pain for a short while, but it is the little ache that keeps you awake at night for years that can really drive you crazy and impact your life.  Best wishes sir.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

my sciatica was from injuring the little muscle in my butt, the piriformis.  when it would get inflamed or swollen it put pressure across the nerve.  Pain in by butt and down my leg.  when my meniscus was hurting, i changed my gait to favor the knee, and it stressed my prev. injured piriformis. that is why diagnosis is so important.  If they work on your back, and that is not the prob., of course that will not improve your pain.  not all problems have a test to confirm, and then you are relying on the expertise, experience and ability of your doctor.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

alan gage

Quote from: doc henderson on March 13, 2019, 01:26:47 PMthe best Dr.s technically, are sometimes not that friendly

Of the two neurosurgeons I've seen one is in his mid-60's with a long distinguished career. He's friendly enough but I mainly deal with his assistant and rarely the Dr. himself. He's not unpleasant but is a little brusque. I can understand this and it doesn't really bother me but sometimes I worry that most of the things I say and that he says are going through a 3rd party (the assistant), which leaves room for miscommunication.

The other is probably in his early 50's and I've only ever dealt with him other than the initial nurse that takes my vitals. He sits in a relaxed posture wearing a cardigan over his white coat and listens to what I say in a patient manner (at least from outside appearances), answers my questions, and then asks if I have any more questions. The biggest reason I chose him for the surgery is because I feel more comfortable talking to him (and he also has a good resume).

I don't know if that's really the best way to pick a surgeon or not. The thought has occurred to me that I'd rather get fixed by a jerk than not get fixed by a nice guy.

Quote from: doc henderson on March 13, 2019, 01:26:47 PMYour happiness with all involved so far says something about you as well, meaning you prob. have realistic expectations. Just like working on complex machinery, you may think you know what is wrong, and confirm it with tests, and fix it and it still does not work. You must also be somewhat patient,

I'm a mechanic by trade and I specialize in electrical/computer diagnostics. I recognize that even though I've dealt with this for a year with no results that we're working through a diagnostic process and that I haven't been responding the way these cases typically do. I was told in my first visit this wasn't a problem that should require surgery and that physical therapy ought to clear things up. Yet here I am a year later preparing for surgery after spending a few thousand dollars with no results. While I wish we could have just jumped to this point a year ago I also realize that would have been foolish without the benefit of hindsight. But I can see where some people would get frustrated along the way and give up on that doctor (or all doctors).

It's a 2 hour drive from here to the nearest specialty hospitals (Sioux Falls) and people often complain about taking the day off work and a 4 hour round trip just to talk to the doctor for 15 minutes. But I understand that it shouldn't necessarily matter to them what I went through to get there that day. If they can spend 15 minutes and determine the next step in the process then that's all that's needed. It's just all the sooner I can turn around and get home in my opinion. And I do appreciate that, when possible, they try to schedule an office visit and procedure the same day or else squeeze me in that same day for a procedure the doctor just ordered to save me a trip.

And I also know from personal experience, even though you shouldn't let it happen, that it's nearly impossible not to let a bad customer affect the level of service you give them. Just as it's hard not to go above and beyond for a customer who is respectful and patient. I'd rather do everything I can to have the doctor be 100% committed to me.

If you get a bunch of mechanics talking someone will compare ourselves to doctors. The ones that don't like doctors say the doctors have it easy because they can bury their mistakes. The ones that do like doctors know mechanics have it easier because the customer can drop off their inanimate object (car) which we can poke, prod, hammer, shock, and swear at all we want. Unless the patient is unconscious the doctor doesn't get those luxuries.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

doc henderson

i assure you that a doc appreciates a good attitude and patience.  and we are sometimes pressured to do things that we think are not best, and with a aggressive pt and or family makes you wonder.  i should have guessed you might also be  a diagnostician.  Regards
the new guy is prob. great, the days of the Docs throwing a fit are over.  The young guy may have got more of the pt. satisfaction in his training.  sitting vs standing in surveys the pt thinks the doc was in the room 45% longer than if he stood!  some studies have actually shown higher mortality in pt.s who like there Dr.  go with the guy who listens!

Old Greenhorn

I concur with what @doc henderson said. He is on on the side most of us don't get to see clearly. I have had the opportunity to study this detail from several angles, as a patient who knows what is wrong and has to push for the care he needs, and as a patient advocate for my elderly parents for many years who were just treated as 'people getting ready to die' and made comfortable. I have also worked in E/D's for a bit and witnessed the pressures that some Doctors are under to ensure timely and proper treatment for many patients at once, some of whom are at critical points. If you've found someone who talks to YOU and listens, you have a solid relationship that you can work on. 
if things get dicey, that is a Doctor you can work it out with and understand what is going on. The straight clinical guy who works through an assistant will be harder to deal with and get a feel good outcome. 
 I have actually gotten to a point where I argued with a Doctor (loudly, but in a professional manner) about his diagnosis because I knew it was just wrong and had him call me on it by ordering further tests which proved he was, in fact, wrong, and was forced to prescribe the treatment I asked for in the first place. I hated being put in that position, he hated me for exposing his poor work,  but I would not let the patient suffer for the benefit of the Doctor having it easy. He has since retired. I wouldn't want to see anyone else have to do that. Most folks would not know how and would have suffered greatly in his care. Pick the guy you feel good about and give him your confidence. There are good mechanics, and not so good mechanics. Same in every trade.
 By the way Doc, I worked with one of those old school Doc's who had fits and threw stuff when I was doing clinicals. He scared me a LOT. I had a challenging case that night and asked the charge nurse if we could talk to the Doc about making an adjustment for a patient in pain. She told me to leave him alone and wait for the x-rays and MRI to come back and he (the Doc) would make a decision then. The patient's discomfort would not wait, so I asked again a while later and she said "fine, he's over there, why don't YOU go ask him?". So I did, he got really pithed at me but got up and checked on the patient, saw the issue as I did, and fixed it. At the end of the shift I apologized about the incident and he told me I should never apologize for advocating for a patient's well being. I never forgot that. He was gruff and mean, but he cared about his patients. What you see is not always what you get.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

alan gage

I heard from the doctor's office today and insurance has approved the procedure and they think they might be able to squeeze me in a week from now. That means I have to go off the Ibuprofen and Aleve as of tonight. That's going to be murder on me but I stockpiled my Tramadol and Hydrocodone for just that reason. Hopefully I have enough to get me through or I might have to knock off a drugstore or two. 

Pretty darn excited right now. Didn't ever think I'd look forward to going in for surgery but I sure am.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

alan gage

Quote from: alan gage on March 19, 2019, 05:27:57 PM
I heard from the doctor's office today and insurance has approved the procedure and they think they might be able to squeeze me in a week from now.
They weren't able to coordinate doctors so I need to wait a few extra days until April 1st. I hope my doctor's don't have a twisted sense of humor. That could be a scary place to be on April Fools.
Or maybe I can think of a good joke to play on them.....
Alan

alan gage

Showed up at the hospital at 5:00am April 1st and woke up from surgery at 10:45am. 

Doctor said the L4/L5 joint was very loose (apparently worse than the MRI indicated) and he's pretty confident that will resolve most of my issues. So far all the pain I had when I showed up at the hospital is gone and I'm once again standing straight. There is certainly some incision pain and my abs are very tender but it's nice to finally feel no pain in my back, hips, or legs. 

They had me up walking the hall the same day as surgery. They took me down for basic physical and occupational therapy the next morning (walking, stairs, in/out of cars, shower, dressing etc) and that all went fine. They cleared me for release the day after surgery but since it's a 2 hour drive to get home and I was starting to feel really drowsy I elected to spend a 2nd night in the hospital and left around noon today. 

Back home now and am getting along pretty good. They've got me on a light pain pill schedule that's keeping the pain at bay. Been sleeping a lot and trying to get up and move around every so often. Looking forward to getting healed up a bit more. 

Very happy so far. 

Alan

Don P

Good deal 8). Take it easy and follow docs orders, those pain pills can get a man into trouble, can't feel it so do too much. I hope this works out and you get back into it soon.

scouter Joe

Thanks for the up date . I've been wondering how you were doing . Hope you can continue improving and eventually get back to work and canoeing as well . scouter Joe

doc henderson

Happy for you Alan.   8)

red

A positive attitude goes a long way. 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

alan gage

Quote from: scouter Joe on April 04, 2019, 07:25:10 AM
Hope you can continue improving and eventually get back to work and canoeing as well . scouter Joe
I've been seeing your screen name and wondered if you were the same scouter Joe from myccr and canoetripping. I guess I have my answer. Nice to see you here!
Yesterday (3rd day after surgery) was the first day I felt normal and didn't want to just sleep. I spent plenty of time resting on my back but no napping and I even went out for lunch with my girlfriend and stopped by the shop to see my dad and my mom's house for a visit. Friends stopped over with food last night. 
Pain is being well managed with 200mg of tramadol and 2000mg of tylenol over 24 hours. The tylenol and tramedol are staggered so I'm taking some form of pill every 3 hours. Mobility around the house is not an issue. I'm trying to make a point not to push it too far though. I've been sitting at the computer for 20 minutes and now I'll take a shower before laying down in bed to read for an hour or so. 
I'm starting to feel a little bit of the sciatic nerve pain creeping back into my right ankle but it's intermittent and nothing like it was before. They said nerve pain would be the last thing to go away (and may not go completely). Otherwise I've just got a long tender incision on my belly and really sore ab muscles.  
For anyone that's curious the procedure I had done is called an ALIF, which means they come in through the front for access. But in my case they also came in from the back to remove more material around the nerve and add more stabilization. I feel virtually no pain from the rear incision. It's much smaller than the front. 
Alan

BradMarks

Alan:  My guess is the return of a little intermittent pain in the ankle is your body reminding you to slow down just a bit. Riding in the car some can be a little bouncy, things like that.  Just take it easy, walk around the block a bit, light exercise.  Spoken from someone who did overdo it in the beginning - me. You think you're doing great - next moment ugh!  Just being bent over too long in the beginning, sitting too long, simple stuff like that can be an issue. I remember walking around the block felt so good that I would keep trying to "improve my time" like it was a race. Not a good thing to do, as it set me back a bit. Anyway, good recovery ahead!

alan gage

Thanks for the reminder, Brad. Those were the last words of the doctor when I saw him just before discharge. "Don't overdue it." He said if I want to walk a mile I'd be better off doing it in short sections. I'm trying to keep that in mind. The surgical pain is still a good reminder but I can see, as the days and weeks go on, that it will get more difficult to keep myself from overdoing it. 

Alan

BradMarks

Absolutely, right now you feel like a million bucks compared to what it was like, just makes you think you "can do it all".  And you will, just not yet. 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

I agree with Brad, take it easy for a longer period than I did. At 6 mo. I thought I could start running from one place to another big mistake brought pain back in my right leg enough to realize it wasn't a good idea.
 Also be careful of the tramadol,it's highly addictive. I had a hard time getting off it after my operation in 95. Today I'm on it again but this time it's only 50mg 3 times during the day.It's good cause it doesn't make me drowsy so I can work with less pain.
Ed K

alan gage

Today is 2 weeks post-surgery. Recovery has been going much better than I anticipated. No problems getting around and not much pain. I quit taking pain meds (other than Tylenol) a couple days ago and so far so good.

Came back to work this morning. I work in an auto repair shop but only in the office since hurting my back last year. It's a nice mix of sitting, standing, and walking back and forth across the shop. Will probably take a long early lunch to go home and lay down for a while and will probably leave early this afternoon too. I ordered a standing desk and tall seat to use with it and they should be here later this week. Hoping that will be a little easier on the back.

Took the dog for a walk last night (about 3/4 mile). That sure felt good. Haven't been able to do that since December.

Alan

thecfarm

Sounds good!! Well better than good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Quote from: alan gage on April 15, 2019, 11:17:32 AM
Today is 2 weeks post-surgery. Recovery has been going much better than I anticipated. No problems getting around and not much pain. I quit taking pain meds (other than Tylenol) a couple days ago and so far so good.

Came back to work this morning. I work in an auto repair shop but only in the office since hurting my back last year. It's a nice mix of sitting, standing, and walking back and forth across the shop. Will probably take a long early lunch to go home and lay down for a while and will probably leave early this afternoon too. I ordered a standing desk and tall seat to use with it and they should be here later this week. Hoping that will be a little easier on the back.

Took the dog for a walk last night (about 3/4 mile). That sure felt good. Haven't been able to do that since December.

Alan
I'm interested in the standing desk and how you like it. Been thinking of putting a couple of them in the office.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

I'm so happy to hear you are up and about.  Especially the part about walking the dog.  Remember...we like pictures. 
Say when

Woodpecker52

I tried Hemp Oil extract 1000 mg for back pain inflammation nerve pain, joints aching, knees popping and stiff back etc.   With in one day it started to work, can now work all day turning logs, stacking lumber and no pain.  I can sit in a chair and lift leg to the other and put on sock something I have not been able to do for 20 years.  I bought it online through that South American river store. I take it once in the morning drops under tongue have been using for over a month no side effects.  Hemp has no THC only CBDs, tastes like a sort of burnt seed and bitter but its kind of like beer you develop a taste after awhile. Oh well it works for me.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

alan gage

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on April 16, 2019, 10:46:02 AM
I tried Hemp Oil extract 1000 mg for back pain inflammation nerve pain, joints aching, knees popping and stiff back etc.   With in one day it started to work, can now work all day turning logs, stacking lumber and no pain.  I can sit in a chair and lift leg to the other and put on sock something I have not been able to do for 20 years.  I bought it online through that South American river store. I take it once in the morning drops under tongue have been using for over a month no side effects.  Hemp has no THC only CBDs, tastes like a sort of burnt seed and bitter but its kind of like beer you develop a taste after awhile. Oh well it works for me.
I have a friend who says she's been having good luck with that as well and another friend that used marijuana medicinally after falling off a ladder and breaking her back 10 years or so ago. She says it's either illegal marijuana or legal opioids from the doctor to keep pain at bay. She's more worried about the opioids.
Alan

samandothers

Alan,
This all is great news!  Glad the surgery and your recovery is going well.  Pace and don't over do stuff.  Hope your recovering continues to go well!

Thank You Sponsors!