iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bearing of a different type.

Started by Jeff, August 21, 2006, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

If one is planning on scouting, or hunting, or trying to attract bear, can't one call it all as a group Bearing? Like Mushrooming? I'm saying "I'ma Black Bearing." ;D

For the first time since we put the roof on the cabin in da U.P, in 1994, I drew a permit to buy a bear license. This year I plan on doing everything I can do to increase my odds of getting a Black Bear and that means lots of time afield. I've had several forum members ask me to keep them posted on how its going so thats the purpose of this thread I guess. :) 

Last week was our first excursion to the cabin. We left on Monday and did not come back until Sunday afternoon. My Sister Leeenda (Lynda) and I spent 4 evening of that time sitting in a blind that has produced several bear in past years. We are hunting with bait. Anything works for bear bait but the more odoriferous the better. We are using old meat, Salmon entrails and heads, bread soaked in Strawberry jello, and what ever else we can scrounge. So far we have some "things" hitting the bait at night but no proof that we have a bear coming in yet. It could be most anything where we are at. Whatever it is it has the strength to carry the carcass of what was probably a 30lb salmon over 20 yards.  We have a trail cam set up that did record some photos. Mostly of my brother in law Pete and I hauling in more bait, but it also took some other photos.  Problem is while Leenda was trying to rewind the film, it accidental got exposed. :-\

Were having a good time at the cabin. Its been years since I have committed this kind of time to some of the things I have always loved to do. I will be on the forum only hit and miss probably clear through September. We are leaving again Thursday until early next week. I'll be hitching a ride once again with Leenda and Pete. You may see me logged on like you did last week, but that will be Stacy or Tammy getting my messages so they can take care of any needs that you might normally have with me.  I don't thank them enough, but my fellow admins are truly the saving grace for the Forestry Forum. Without them I would worry every minute that something was broke or something or someone needed looking after, but with those guys on your side, I know that all our needs are met and I get this chance to be just the old Jeff for a month or so.

I thought I would give you some photos we take as we are up at the cabin Black Bearing. :)  Not all have to do with the act of bearing but they are taken because we are here doing the black bearing.  :)

Shortly after arriving Monday and unloading the bait we hauled up, getting ready to take it back in da U.P. woods.

View down my shooting lane to where this bait station is. KEVIN! You know right where this is. Its the blind you donated blood for. :D

My Seester Leenda on one of the quads.

Roughing it. On the way to the bear blind. Packing Heat and a T.V.  :D

View toward the bait station out the blind window.

Fire Tower off of Tower road.

Our Friends Lyle and Peggy from Stalwart said to come over and see the pups. One of their labs had 9 babies. Peggy was trying to tell them I was their uncle. All I had to say was OH OUCH! Not THERE!

Will 50 lbs of salmon entrails a day bring a bear our way? I dunno, but it sure makes you appreciate an east wind or a calm day. PEW!

I took this photo of this lab at the elevator in Pickford. He seemed right at home looking out that window.

One of many photos I took of Sandhill cranes. Lots of them up north this year.

Me and Leenda lookin for Bar.

Here is a convenient little Yooper style facility along the gogamain swamp.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

I can smell that bag o Fish from here :-X  :)
Are there a lot of berries available to the Bears right now? The fish should draw them regardless.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Very few berries this year. Its been really dry up there. Were counting on the pond being close as another attractant to the area.  Hopefully we get the bear to come around. We always have in the past.  Sometimes it only takes a couple days, sometimes a couple weeks. 

I have a video clip to upload but I either gotta edit it for on word or give you a warning due to potty mouth pete. :D  I think I'll just warn you. ;D

thecfarm

Good luck with the bear hunt.We bait bear here in Maine too.Not much done in this area.Seems to be more up north from here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Minnesota_boy

Hmmm...I've never exposed the film while rewinding on my digital game camera. ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jeff

All I know is used a pin to push the little button that causes the film to rewind before all the photos are taken, It acted like it was done, and when she opened the case there was about a foot of film hanging out of the thing. Its thier camera, I know nothing about it except that it ate the first roll of film. :)

UNCLEBUCK

That looks like a good time !  I have a vcr video of bowhunting for bear and in it they set bait just like you did but they also have stop watches tied to cans and everyday they know exactly what time the bears are tripping the bait .  I dont think I could kill a bear just because it reminds me of my black labs . Neighbor goes to alaska every year for grizzly .  Hope you get a big beer Jeff  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

gary

Jeff try donuts as bait. The game commision uses them as bait here to trap nuisance bears here. Good luck
Have a big beer after you shoot the big bear

SwampDonkey

Find a fast fry joint and see if they will let ya pick up some pales of discarded grease. Find a farmer with a dead calf or sheep. Maybe even a pile of ripe apples will help to, just cut up a few so they ferment in the sun. Bears won't touch dead fish, but the smell will bring them and they will probably paw through them. And even the donuts as suggested or discarded cakes from the grocery will bring bears. They love that junk food.

Just some other bait ideas. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ernie_Edwards

When I lived in Arizona there were tough rules on what could be used for bear bait. But my buddy seemed to have the worse luck with horses. Whenever he got drawn for a bear tag, and he was out scouting on horseback one of his old $40.00 nags would come up lame and he would have to shoot it in the outback, always a few days befor the season started.
Good place to sit on opening day.

Norm

Great post Jeff, so is your seester packing heat in case of bear attack or if you get out of line with her. ;D

Jeff

She aint comfortable being out in the bear woods without a gun. I think she prefers the 22 when she is walking and the 44 when she has the quad to carry it. :)

moosehunter

Best of luck to ya Jeff. I have been bear hunting once, had a bear just out of shooting range. Buck fever has nothing on boar fever :o
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

asy

I'd say "Good Luck" But I'm not honestly sure whether I'd be saying it to you or the bear...  :-\

I DO hope you have a good time, though.  :)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Video Clip. Beware contains one swear word uttered by my BTL referring to what my sisters dog did. :o :D

DanG Good Bait.

beenthere

Thanks for the clip. You dun good bleeping. Did anything eat the bait? 
Any pix of critters caught in the act?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

We are going up tomorrow and hope to find a trail cam full of photos.

SwampDonkey

Pretty slim pick'n for the barrs when the hunters end up eat'n all the grub. :D :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Off to bear camp again! See ya'll Monday!

asy

How long is bear season for?

How long do you get to sit in the little hut? :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

PawNature

Quote from: Jeff B on August 21, 2006, 07:42:04 PM
If one is planning on scouting, or hunting, or trying to attract bear, can't one call it all as a group Bearing? Like Mushrooming? I'm saying "I'ma Black Bearing." ;D

Sounds like Redneck lingo to me. 8)
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Jeff

Back home to recharge and take care of some web work before heading back on Thursday. Bear season for me opens the 10 of September and this next stint I may stay for the duration.  We have been scouting some new areas away from the cabin so I have some alternatives. The next couple photos are are taken about 100 yards from the bait station we set up about 2 miles into the Cranberry Floodings. Some beautiful country.

SwampDonkey

You seeing many geese there Jeff? They seem to be getting antsy around here. At one guys house he has a pond out front and one of those long knecked honkers took off from the pond and slammed into the side of the house and died. Ralph thought a truck struck a hydro pole out by the drive way, it shook the house so. :D

Jeff

Lots of geese. We had to stop while a half dozen waddled across the road right at the Big Mac Bridge Toll coming home. Good thing they were crossing the road and not the bridge. not sure they could pay the toll other then in, well you know what geese do. :D

I had to stop and see my buddies at Lyle and Peggy's

Speaking of Lyle and Peggy, we had them over to thecabin for ice cream one evening and that big pale of carmel we brought up for baiting the bear was just more then I could take...
Another video clip
https://youtu.be/NDYT9qqg8-I

SwampDonkey

Grandfather raised english cocker spanials for years and they were cute as pups. He raised them and trained them for bird hunting. Looks like you have a handful.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!