iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Percussive question??

Started by mad murdock, February 19, 2014, 12:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Any fellow black powder shooters on here?? I am wondering if you are having a hard time finding percussion caps in your area?  Almost impossible to find around here. Kind of crazy. I have a flintlock, but I like to shoot my cap and ball colt replicas too. I did find on the freepatents server the original patent for the forster tap o cap tool. With the drawings and dimensions on that document, I will make me one, as they quit making them several years back. At least that way I canalsy own percussion "shells" and make some fulminate compound to "prime" them with. Or maybe find some good quality toy paper "roll caps" and use those.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

coxy

mine has the 209 caps  they are every where here

chain

For special black powder needs you might try www.dixiegunworks.com in Union City, Tn. Antique arms & general merchandise relating to such.

mad murdock

It is crazy here, the one store that has always stocked a good supply of reloding equipment and supplies, has not seen caps for over a year, they have them on their standard order sheet too.  It just keeps getting back ordered.  Chain thanks for the tip, Dixie does have caps, but only the german ones are aavailable now, and they are spendy as you have to order a large qty to order any at all.  I found the patent drawings for the original tap o cap tool that is no longer in production,  I am going to make myself one, so I can make my own caps.  http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4077246.pdf
In case anyone else wants to make one.  It looks pretty easy to make.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Banjo picker

I really haven't looked for caps for the smoke pole in a while... Mine uses the #11... and since I only hunt with it a few weeks a year, my supply will last me quite a spell... Most people around here have gone to the inline jobs that use the 209 shotgun primers.  Let us know how that works out making that die.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

mad murdock

I have the tool roughed out and hope to finish it early in the week. I turned it out of some 1" stainless rod stock we had laying around. Will get a few close ups when I get it done.

chain

Here's another interesting web site www.jarnaginco.com. Corinth, Ms. Longtime sutler of early American military goods, they make many period items right there in their shop. Also, I'm sure you have the sutlers out in Oregon somewhere, most all those carry the caps.

mad murdock

8)  Got the tool done.  I made a few shells to see how it works, seems to work pretty well.  I tried a couple caps on the pistol, and they hold on well, and do what they are supposed to do.  Now all I have to do is make a solution to go into the shells and I will have working caps!!

I made the tool in 3 parts instead of 2, and the bottom part is actually a bolt, and a threaded collar to adjust to proper height, as well as easy to take apart and unclog or clean if required.

All put together

the finished product!  actual percussion cap shells punched out of a sprite can 8) 8)

chain

Self sufficiency, I like that! :)

Thank You Sponsors!