iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two piece over center brace

Started by addicted, December 18, 2014, 09:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Has anyone ever seen a brace with a hinge in the middle? I'm toying with the idea of making a two piece brace that hinges in the middle.  The hinge would be an over center joint. One that would be able to withstand compression, then be able to remove the brace when needed by removing a peg and pulling the brace outwards past center.  This is what the aviation industry uses on landing gear that retracts and extends. However I won't be using hydraulics.

Rusty

beenthere

Is a brace always in compression?

Will such a hinged brace pass inspection?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

witterbound

I'm sure that Jim will chime in here, but I believe at times when a brace needed to be replaced, one cut the mortise oversize and used a wedge.  Same would work in your situation, seems to me.  Never seen a hinged brace.

addicted

Beenthere . For this brace, it will only be in compression, and the hinge I'm imagining wouldn't be very strong in tension but I bet there is an engineer out there that could come up with a solution to allow it to handle tension if so desired.
As far as inspection, this will be on a small lean to, and the "official"  inspector has stated that it's ok as long as she doesn't have to remove the brace.

Witterbound,
An oversized mortise and wedge would definitely be easier and stronger than a mechanical joint. But who ever thought that easier faster stronger was the only path to take. There must have been someone who put too much time, too much thought, too much energy into an overly complicated rhube Goldberg type brace. But then again, if it's like most TF lessons, they were removed an put in the stove a long time ago.

Rusty

Dave Shepard

1. Why do you want to do this? Do you have to replace a damaged brace on the leanto, or do you want to remove it to gain access with a piece of equipment then put it back?

2. Do you need a brace in that location? If your leanto is tied to the side of a building, then you would only need bracing in the eaves direction, like this:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

addicted

Hi Dave
That's exactly what I plan to do.  Place a sawmill in the lean to and when a very long log needs rolling up to the mill then removal of the post and brace ( of course no snow or other increase in roof load) then put it back afterwards. The post and brace is located in the first third of the span.
   I really don't need a brace in that spot but the " inspector" likes the look.

Rusty

Brad_bb

Rusty, do you have a picture of what you are describing?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

witterbound

Will the inspector accept such a brace?

scouter Joe

Would it be easier to have a screw jack on the bottom . Have the dowels at the top of the post and braces removable . Screw the jack down till the tenons clear and remove the post with the braces attached . Could even hook a strap around the post to a come along or small chain block under the roof and crank it up out of the way . No lifting .  scouter Joe

witterbound

If you don't really need it, it would be easier to install it for the inspection, then cut it out and plug the mortises.

Jim_Rogers

Full size and length brace with oversized mortise pocket and wedge is the way it could be done. That way you pull the wedge, remove the brace and then the post.

Good luck with your project.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!