iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 048 issues?

Started by pabst79, June 01, 2013, 11:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabst79

I have been having to 2 issues with my 048, after 10 minutes or so it doesnt want to idle very well, and when I tip her to the right side it dies out quickly. I'm wondering if its the impulse line? I checked compression and its at 125, maybe time for a rebuild as well?

Any advice would be appreciated.  ::)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Al_Smith

It could be the clutch side seal which is bad news because they are rare as a hens tooth .Rings aren't  the problem but it should be upwards of 150 PSI static .Same rings as the 038 Magnum ,52 MM.

Caloren

When I had that problem with my 028 the guys here said "fuel line", they were right. Took the cover and air filter off, filled fuel tank, layed it on the right side, and a minute later saw fuel leaking out of the fuel line. Replaced line - works fine.
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

pabst79

Okay I ordered a new fuel line, but I'm not sure how to deal with the low compression? Should I just keep running it? Is 125 a sign of a case leak and not rings? Do i just put the 048 back in the shed and just use my 046? I like to trade off when cutting to get more done in a shorter amount of time. :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Al_Smith

An air leak if it has one should not effect cylinder compression .

I have two of said model ,one sligthly low on compression and one with a seal leak .Changing the rings would at best be an hour and a half job and the seal less than half an hour .I have a seal plus a set of rings for an 038 Mag but just haven't taken the time to fix either one .

An 048 in a good state of tune is a real good cutter .

Thank You Sponsors!