iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new from south mo. and need so much guidance!

Started by yukon cornelius, September 08, 2013, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

hey there! my wonderful supportive wife and I just bought a ez junior and we plan to build our house with it! we have 30 acres in south mo full to the gills with large oak and large cedar. never been logged. I have a dream of building it all from wood from our property. I have a lot of questions. the biggest is the roof. we wanted to use metal but all of the moisture barriers and air gaps have me at my end. we are planning cathedral ceilings with insulation between rafters and covering insulation with wood between rafters. all wood will be left exposed in side. we were wondering about asphalt shingles. because they are individual they can move a little as the wood shrinks (we will be building with green lumber) another plan was to cover roof exterior with 30 lb felt paper for 6 months or more then shingle. another question is about the decking. id like to use my own cut 1bys. as they dry will I be able to get a nail to go in to shingle? thank you in advance and thank you so much for all the info I have already found on here before I joined.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

GAB

CY:
Welcome to the forum.
As an FYI if you do like one fellow did in ME it could help you.  What this fellow did was to saw for example 2" x 6" pieces for framing and then after it had dried some resawed it to 5-1/2" to match the dimensions for windows and doors.  By doing this he removed most of the bends and bows complements of stresses in the wood.  He claimed that he ended up with a nice square building.  As to a lot of your questions I hope someone else will come along with sound advice as I have no personal experience to draw on to answer your questions.  Good Luck. Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

Hello yukon cornelius, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I'm not giving advice, but I just completed a Cabin Addition that is shared here:  LINK  You may at least get some ideas.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

yukon cornelius,welcome to the forum. I have only used hemlock in my out building. I cut the tree,saw the logs,and I build. All in about 2-3-4 hours at times. With what I do,2 boards that are touching,I can almost stick my finger between each board now. Leaves a good 3/8 inch gap. I really would not want to cover the roof with shingles or really anything until the boards have dried. I have put steel on my outbuildings,but the roof was strapped with green one inch boards. I have no idea for sure about the moisture problem with green boards and shingles. Good luck with sawing. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Yukon Cornelius.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

welcome Yukon c, it would be interesting to know where you are,  and as to your question, not a bad one.  Many folks for years have went straight up with green lumber in these parts for years as all across the country, both metal roofing and shingles have been used successfully.  I would suggest to pick one and go with it, I have seen a few folks over the years try to build as the money was available, and it always seems like the roofing was one area that causes the most issues in the long run,  even 30# paper will give you some issues with the wind, ice, and rain,  if left uncovered too long.  Just my observation,   hope you and your wife's dream house happens soon enough for you,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

yukon cornelius

thanks for the advice. we are north of wheatland and south of warsaw. we are leaning towards shingles now just because of the moisture issues. I will leave it all un insulated for a while to let it dry from the inside. I built a 36x36 pole barn and a 12x12 cabin last winter. this dream has to come true for us! we sold our house and we are all living in the cabin. myself, wife, 13 year old son and 2 year old son. we are too deep to turn back now! we are crazy, we know it....

dboyt

Greetings, neighbor!  I live about 20 miles south of Joplin, MO (near Neosho).  Welcome to the forum.  Building your home from timber on your property can be done (I did it over 30 years ago).  Might check on building codes.  Wood shrinks mostly in width (about 10%) and thickness (about 6%), but very little in length (about .1%), so plan accordingly.  We initially went with asphalt shingles, but recently covered them with metal roofing.  Our native oak can be pretty tough to work with, especially when it is dried.  You may encounter some warping and sagging if you build green.  Overall, I think it worked pretty well for us to start out with asphalt shingles, then go to metal roofing after 30 year or so when the shingles needed replacing.  By then, everything is pretty much dried and stable.  Keep us posted on your progress.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

yukon cornelius

that sounded like our plan with the shingles. its good to here my ideas aren't too far out. no building codes to worry with here. we are in the STICKS! only a few neighbors around also. its so nice!

Deese

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. It is lots of fun  8)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

never finished

Yukon, I'm not sure if I wouldn't try to trade some of that oak for some syp fore framing. It would be much easier to work with. Save some oak for the inside floors and trim. I just finished my son and DIL a house with the method GAB referd to. It takes more time at the mill but is easier to build with. You will enjoy working with the ERC, light weight, nice color, and smells good too. Good luck, and welcome.   

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

chain

"we are crazy and we know it"  :D  Now that's funny right there and welcome to the Forum!

If you have all that timber, oak & cedar, you may want to go to the timber and log frame section, think about a log home, just like the old pioneers did!

yukon cornelius

we really considered the log home idea but we thought we could stick build it faster. I am going to build a log blacksmith shop after the house and animal barn are done. I have so much to learn!

mesquite buckeye

Timber frame uses less trees than log house. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!