iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

No Mold on my Pine Boards

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 11, 2013, 08:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It is STILL hot and humid in S.C. I and a lot of us have talked about mold.
Even this week, if I stack and sticker my Pine under my shed next to the mill it will mold in 2 days.

This particular order was stacked outside in the WIDE open. This whack was stacked and stickered for 5 days until the customer from N.C. could pick it up. I was surprised....not one bit of mold.

Notice the bottom half was stack with a wide space between each board and the top half was stacked against each other. I feel like this let more air get up under the stack.

By the way, we have not had any rain in a while so I didn't have to cover it up. The boards look very good.

I may start using some of your guys way of stacking outside since it seemed to work this time.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Looks good!  and plenty of air for sure, what a way to load a truck, done that a few times, not my favorite,  just check my flat stack now going on 6 days, just a little white showing, should be picked up tomorrow, just siding on a calving feed shed,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

With a stack that wide, leaving a gap between the bottom part of the stack had to help a lot.  At least now, in a few weeks, we will get outstanding drying weather. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ladylake

Yes only stack 4' wide or as long as your forks are with 3 or 4' between stacks.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

nk14zp

Did the metal dust from the nails on the other job help prevent the mold?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

bandmiller2

The sun and wind is your friend.The quicker the outside of the boards dries the less chance for bluestain.My own belief is some logs from some areas are more prone to stain.I have had limited success with fans blowing on fresh stacked pine under cover.Only sure cure is cool weather. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

NMFP

Make your packs narrower, a good foundation 20" off the ground provides better air flow and keeps moisture from entering from the ground level.  The reason you have mold is your trying to naturally drive air through a small chanel without any force (fan).

Make narrow packs, 20" off the ground foundation and direct your pack of lumber so that the wind blows through the pack.

Seems as though I have to answer questions like this every week anymore and surprisingly, kiln drying and air flow is what I am covering in class this week!

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 11, 2013, 08:09:09 PMThis particular order was stacked outside in the WIDE open. This whack was stacked and stickered for 5 days until the customer from N.C. could pick it up.
The OP's choice for temporarily sticker stacking lumber scheduled for pickup was cleverly thought out and served his purpose very well in this instance.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

The walnut job is on the right side.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Yes, David did a good job of preparing the customer's lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

I agree with what someone here said once: "If I have to sticker it, it's now air dried and I bill for it". That, BTW, is some great looking lumber.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Dave Shepard

5quarter, I agree. The work is done, just have to wait a couple of months for the drying. I suppose if you had a refrigerated trailer you could dead stack it this time of year. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!