iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with my first load drying

Started by offrink, February 12, 2019, 06:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

offrink

Thanks for the info!

When you have a MC probe lead (wires) that are giving an erroneous reading how do you fix it? I've changed probe locations and it gave the same reading (60%) and when the leads are switched the 60% changes to 43% and the previous 44% lead is now at 60%. Could there be an issue with the wiring from the factory? First load through the kiln and I can't find any nicks or issues with the lead.

K-Guy

Hi offdrink
The probes are resistance based and need a good ground. You need to make sure your control box has a ground rod not a panel ground within 50 ft.

Also the control box has to be set to the appropriate wood group (chart in the manual) to read correctly.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

offrink

Everything was install per the manual. I have buttoned up all the air leaks I could find and things progressed just fine throughout the drying load except one probe wire that, no matter what place or wood it is installed in, gives highly erroneous readings. The MC was dropping, at its max, about 1.8%/day. Once the MC got below about 15% the rate of drying dropped significantly. It is currently at 10.4% and the MC is only reducing at a rate of 0.4-0.5%/day. I would take it that the slow down is from the difficulty of the wood transporting the final interior moisture out to the edge to be dried. Does that sound correct?

doc henderson

hey offrink, remember, if you are learning a ton on your first load, then it is a success.  I do not want to pretend to know all things kiln.  That said, I do think you get to looking at the percent of percent drop, meaning I do think it decreases as the moisture levels drop.  again I will see if gene can chime in and you can do this in the future to by starting with the @ sign and then GeneWengert or any other handle you want to tag.  you then click on the persons handle highlighted in blue.  and it will send a note to Gene that you would like him to look at your question.  did you get a copy of his pdf on the thread "sawing project 2019"  post number 165?  @GeneWengert-WoodDoc.  thanks been there for pointing out similar handles
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Any probe reading above 30% MC is incorrect.

When you see 60% MC, it is likely that there is water condensed in the wire and this is shorting out.  We see this same problem with the wires on the 26ES remote probe that is cold and brought into a humid warm kiln.  It also happens with some meters that moisture condenses inside the equipment.  It is next to impossible to dry the wires out.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

offrink

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on March 15, 2019, 08:50:11 PM
Any probe reading above 30% MC is incorrect.

When you see 60% MC, it is likely that there is water condensed in the wire and this is shorting out.  We see this same problem with the wires on the 26ES remote probe that is cold and brought into a humid warm kiln.  It also happens with some meters that moisture condenses inside the equipment.  It is next to impossible to dry the wires out.
@GeneWengert-WoodDoc
What is your suggestion to fixing the probe wire issue? First load finished very well and second load is having the same issue. Same probe wire has a reading of 79% and the others have an average of 29.7. Is there a way to put all new wire in with new probes? A place to purchase it or should a contact woodmizer (bought from them) and ask for a replacement/refund to repair?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

K-Guy

Offdrink.
Call me and let's see if we can troubleshoot this. 800-777-6953 Ext 212
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!