iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huge red oaks. Too big for wm

Started by 123maxbars, March 22, 2015, 08:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Then there is option C. Just looking for the right I beam for this guy:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 25, 2015, 10:50:23 AM
logboy, I don't know of anybody with a slabber around here. I know one guy had a Lucas swinger and a WM, but he sold the WM to a local timber framer and moved to MO. I don't know what he did with the swinger. I'd like a slabber some day, but it wouldn't be anytime soon.
I have one but all my work is portable and I don't go to MA.  People cant bring me logs and I don't carry along a skid steer.  Truck and sawmill, either WoodMizer or Peterson.  Sometimes I have taken both but that is an ordeal which requires loading the Peterson in the back of the truck.  Take a day off before and after such a job. 

I'm interested in splitting more logs with a chainsaw to add flexibility and capability to my operation.   

Sometimes I'm at a big red oak job with the Wood-Mizer where I could saw everything if I could quarter the big log by chain saw.   Or for a different situation,  another job which is waiting the customer has a 45" dbh trunk cut into 4 logs about 4 feet elevation above the driveway and wants 1-1/8" flooring from it.    Rolling those down to the driveway for swing milling isn't an option for several reasons.  But sliding the quarters down to the bandsaw will work.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JohnM

Quote from: 4x4American on March 25, 2015, 08:49:53 AM
Bandsawn!  :-X   Why that's cheating!!
Wife, kids and I have been watching MASH on netflix lately and as I read your comment 4x4 I heard it in Frank Burns voice.  Cracked me up. :D 

That longboat vid was great!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

customsawyer

It really don't take that long to split a log in half with a chain saw. If it is 16' or shorter than  I can usually get it done with less than a tank of gas. How long does it take you to cut a 40+inch log in half with the slabber?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

Quote from: JohnM on March 25, 2015, 06:34:35 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on March 25, 2015, 08:49:53 AM
Bandsawn!  :-X   Why that's cheating!!
Wife, kids and I have been watching MASH on netflix lately and as I read your comment 4x4 I heard it in Frank Burns voice.  Cracked me up. :D 

That longboat vid was great!

I own all eleven seasons. I'll be starting season ten tonight.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GAmillworker

Jake the big oak you helped me take down we made each 22' cut in 15 min With the slabber.
Thank the Lord for second chances

customsawyer

How long did it take to set up the frame and all that goes with it?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GAmillworker

An hour or so setup and hour or so tear down.  It also took longer to move the slabs than to cut them.

logboy

Setup only takes a few minutes, nowhere near an hour. I can slab in an hour what normally takes a chainsaw mill a full day.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

GAmillworker

Logboy
Our particular log was to large to fit between the guide rails and it was dark when we were taking it apart so this was just on our setup that I was telling Jake about.

logboy

No worries. I know how those big ones take a bit longer.  ;D

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

plantman

How do you like your Lucas mill ? I've been itching to buy a swingblade mill for a long time but I'm afraid of buying the wrong one.

Quote from: logboy on March 28, 2015, 12:21:47 AM
No worries. I know how those big ones take a bit longer.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!