iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winch line

Started by Button, January 13, 2006, 03:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Button

My winch line has been cut so many times I am down to about 35 feet. I would like to replace it but have never done so before. I imagine there is some type of ferrule that attaches to the drum but on the other end there is a knot in the line secured with a cable clamp. How do I tie a knot on a 9/16 swagged cable ? Should I put a log on the end when I first run it in ? Thanks
Peter
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

slowzuki

Good morning,

Are you talking about a skidder  main line?

RSteiner

On my Farmi winch the cable attaches to the drum with a clamping bar that bolts to the drum.  That captures the drum end.   The other end, after the sliders are put on, loops through an eye in the end hook.  This loop has a ferrule to protect the cable, then there are three cable clamps on this end. 

I have 1/2 diameter cable which is not that much smaller than the 9/16 cable you have to work with.  Attaching the end clamps takes a litttle time and patience.

Randy
Randy

Burlkraft

Randy,

I'm soooo close to buying a Farmi winch. How do you like yours ??? ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

maple flats

When I sold fransgard winches they had a wedge arrangement to connect the cable, as I recall it was fairly easy for 2 people to do, might need the extra hands to get it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

wiam

Burlkraft,  Have you looked at Tajfun winches.  I have been very happy with mine.

Button,  as I remember premade cables can be bought with a tailhook on one end and a pressed ferrule on the other.  disclaimer (it has been 15 years since I cut in front of a TJ)

Will

Woodhog

I soon have to replace mine on the Norse 400.

I am just going to use three cable clamps and put the hook thru the loop in the end of the cable.

There is a right and a wrong way to apply the cable clamps...

If you look down this page you will see the proper way, ( the U of the bolt goes against the dead end
of the cable)..

http://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/safety/swingstages.html

Paul_H

A good way to remember how to place the clamps is.. "never saddle a dead horse"   
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Corley5

We've always just put the choker bells on the main line then tie a knot in its end and tighten it up.  It helps to have torches to cut off the excess once the knot is tight.  Cable cut and with a torch doesn't fray as bad either.  The last mainline I bought for a skidder had a ferulle on the end that went on the winch drum and the other end was just taped to keep it together.  I guess the proper way is to press a ferulle on the end after the slides go on ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

RSteiner

Burlkraft

Sorry for the delayed response I was away for the weekend.  I really like my Farmi winch, it just celebrated its 25th year of exsistance.  It is one of the most useful tools I have. 

It has pulled many cars and trucks out of the mud and snow, moved small buildings, rocks, brush piles, and alot of timber.  I have replaced the cable and given it a coat of paint but that is it other than the recommended greasing and adjusting.

I have no experience with the other makes out there today, I am sure they are well made also.  The thing is I could sell mine today for what I paid for it 25 years ago but the older I get the more I depend on it.

Randy
Randy

twistedtree

I've got a Farmi 351 and agree it's a fine product.  Very durable, and a great way to do small scale logging.

Thank You Sponsors!