iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodbowl cutting my wood

Started by gatorpan, March 26, 2010, 10:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatorpan

Hey guys, Im new here, but have already learned a great deal.   Woodbowl turned me on to this site, and I just wanted to introduce myself and give a shout out to my good buddy woodbowl.  He has almost finished cutting bout 10000 bf or so of pecan, pine, cypress for me and another buddy, and I gotta say he has done a great job.   He hasnt even cried too much!!  Everything has gone great.....cept for the part where he wants to get paid for his work..... ;)  Thanks to all for letting me in, I gots lots of reading to do, and even more to understand, but this is a great site for that.

Gatorpan  "Byron"
Everything is good..................till it goes bad!

Don K

Welcome Byron. That woodbowl is a pretty good fella. :)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

pasbuild

Don't let Woodbowl's whining fool ya, that just his way of looking like a poor sawyer trying to make a living ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

pigman

Welcome gatorpan.
You mean Woodbowl charges for sawing. :o  I thought he enjoyed sawing so much that he did it for free. All this time I thought he came from "Old Money" and just sawed for fun.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ladylake

He should be paying you to let him saw it.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Gatorpan.  ;)

Lots of good people and good information here. 8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Welcome gatorpan.  Olen pointed you in the right direction.  There's a lot of good reading here.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gatorpan

Quote from: pigman on March 26, 2010, 11:47:35 PM
Welcome gatorpan.
You mean Woodbowl charges for sawing. :o  I thought he enjoyed sawing so much that he did it for free. All this time I thought he came from "Old Money" and just sawed for fun.

Ha!!  you fellas are alright, and as for old money......well Im sure woodbowl has at least 90 cent of his first dollar in his shoe!!     :D

woodbowl

Now wait a minute, yall' know I'm jest a poor sawyer trying to make an umble living for his family.  ;D  Glad you could make it gatorpan. 
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Welcome Gatorpan!  Did you take a close look at Woodbowl's shoes?  That 90 cents woulda leaked out a long time ago!  Hey, I been sorta braggin' on that boy lately, so I might need to tiptoe over that way on Toooosdy and make sure he's still cuttin' ok, ok?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

gatorpan

Good to meet you DanG................I guess woodbowl is doin a good job, I know I got wood commin out of my ears now.  ALSO>>>anytime I learn somethin, I like to pass it on.   Those sticks you put between the layers of wood....there is a reason why you should cut them off so they dont stick out past the stack.......you see, when you are loading and unloading them off a trailer, and your working on one side...they seem to stick out and grab the stack on the otherside of the trailor......and before you know it, you have unloaded your trailor, ONLY....one half is one the ground in a pile, and the other half is on your forks!!! 

Yep.....I have been restacking wood for bout two hours today.   LESSON LEARNED! >:(      Somehow, I think woodbowl could be blamed for this,  Im sure that when I wasnt looking, he put a couple of them sticks between them stacks on the trailer

woodbowl

Woodbowl didn't have time to sneak extra sticks in da stack, he was too busy sawing sticks lumber.   ;D  I suspect it was was Willie, our prime helper and  lumber stacker. I'm sure that Willie is the culpret  ...... seeing how he ain't here to defend hisself, he must be to blame.   :)   I thought I saw DanG walking around taking pictures. I bet he caught Willie red handed.  ???
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

gatorpan

HMMM  could be willie, alls I know is it werent my fault for sure ;)  Its funny though, I was worried that my tractor wasnt as strong as the one we were using....turns out that its about twice as strong.  I picked up that stack with the other one attached, and it didnt even strain.  One full stack of 35 12inchers hit the ground.....As I was restacking, I noticed that I had some green staining going on, is this something I should be spraying for, or is this common?

woodbowl

Quote from: gatorpan on March 30, 2010, 10:10:25 PM
As I was restacking, I noticed that I had some green staining going on, is this something I should be spraying for, or is this common?

Probably not . We've got gooood drying weather comming up for the next week or so. In the past two weeks the rain had oportunity to blow in the side of the stack and high humidity hung around a bit. Once the big flash off drying is over (2-3 weeks of good conditions) the green mold will stop. When it's ready to go on the wall, if it still looks bothersome, you can hit it with a gardensprayer of half and half water/bleach. If you want it to grey out anyway, I wouldn't even do that. Usually the process of greying is green and black mold specks, then specks turn grey, then more specks and turn grey again, then so many black specks over time and between rain or humid conditions that they all run together and the end result is the uniform patina grey look.

gatorpan

Thanks woodbowl....after restacking that pile, it looks soooo much better, I am going to restack all of the cypress.  We sorta got sloppy as the days drug on.   ::)

fishpharmer

Gatorpan welcome to the forum, your gonna fit right in.  I sure am enjoying  this thread. 8)

So were are the pictures?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!