iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

popcorn tree

Started by Tony, August 28, 2010, 08:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Has anyone heard of a "popcorn tree"?  I think we've got one and I think that it will be about as welcome as privet hedge  go_away

Thanks,

Tony   8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

SwampDonkey

I have, never seen one until Tom posted it a few years back. I think it was Tom.

Since were talking weeds. ;D

We have cotton grass (a sedge actually), grows up like a grass with a tuft of cotton on the end. It's on some bogs, seen some the other day.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

It is also called chinese tallow, and it is a horrendous invasive.  It is taking over Southern Louisiana and other parts of the Gulf South.  There is nothing good about chinese tallow.  In Livingston Parish, LA, as you ride down the highway and look at the trees (which I do), about one out of every two trees is a tallow. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

They seem to love moisture and are deep rooted.  They are some bad dudes.  It's a shame that they are pretty and folks are letting them grow in their yards.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

I was at a nursery in Elberta, Al and had a conversation with a forestry consultant that called them chicken trees. When I didnt recognize the name he then said popcorn then the proper chinese tallow.  There are lots of studies going on trying to find a use for them. They grow so fast and anywhere.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

They are taking over the wetlands and crowding out the native species.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Bees make good honey from them as well as privet. I'm gonna let em grow.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

Probably going to happen anyway.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Make sure that you leave your telephone number with someone with a bulldozer so they can find you in a few years, Don.  :D

StephenRice

Quote from: Tom on August 31, 2010, 08:15:54 PM
Make sure that you leave your telephone number with someone with a bulldozer so they can find you in a few years, Don.  :D

I needed a good laugh this morning.  :D

Don?  Don?  Are you in there, Don?  Wait!  I think I see his face!

P.S. - SwampDonkey -  I am sorry for messing things up the first time.  Is this how I am supposed to post pics?

*****Photos have to be posted to your forum gallery as off site photos can be lost if that site ever disappears from the internet, leaving a post on the forum without the accompanying photo. Also, we have size limits because many of us are on dial-up connections. Thank you for your understanding. Check out the photo posting information under "Help" or under the "Behind the Forum" board. ***** SwampDonkey
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

fishpharmer

How does the durn stuff spread so fast?   This past year I have noticed more lone trees popping up all over my place with random distribution.  I am guessing birds spread the seed?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Fish, do they produce berries?

fishpharmer

No, they make popcorn ;)

I found the answer to my question.

http://www.galvbayinvasives.org/Guide/Species/TriadicaSebifera

Seems, birds contribute to the spread.  

I'll be spraying it in the next couple of days, no noticeable fruit yet.  The online literature indicates fruiting from August to January.  I would like to prevent fruiting.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

:D Ah, yes good strategy.

But, only reason I asked is to discover their mode of dispersal. ;D

fishpharmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 04, 2010, 05:37:36 AM
:D Ah, yes good strategy.

But, only reason I asked is to discover their mode of dispersal. ;D

Thanks, I figured that, but about the same time I found my answer with google.

StephenRice

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 04, 2010, 05:17:41 AM
Fish, do they produce berries?

I  think they produce a berry-like seed pod that looks sort of like a small hard green cherry of sorts, if my memory serves me correctly.  We have them here too, mostly in people's yards.  People often planted them for shade trees since they grow so quickly.  Not sure if they are allowed to sell them here anymore or not.  Hope not...
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Tom

Here is an example of the depth of the forum.   It's fun to talk about stuff again and again, but it's also valuable to recognize the depth of research available on the forum through the Search facility.  This is a good reason to name a thread with a searchable title.

Below are two threads on the Popcorn Tree, one from 2008 and the other from 2001.  They aren't the only ones to be found in this Ten Year encyclopedia, or Accrued Common Knowledge of Foresters, Loggers and Sawyers.

That spells ACKoFLaS   :D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,15221.msg216139/topicseen.html#msg216139

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,300.msg2944/topicseen.html#msg2944

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I think they use just about any metnod for propigation known in the plant kingdom.

I cut one down in my back yard a few years ago and got busy before I disposted of the main trunk. Two years later I had three new trees growing from the remains of that trunk, fully rooted from ground contact. Additionally the stump had sprouted four shoots that were over twenty feet tall and each at least 4 inches in diameter.

I get sprouts from the roots springing up all over the place and I've seen some areas covered with seeds at least three inches deep under some of the mature ones...

Hate them...

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!