iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Attention new sawyers,

Started by pineywoods, May 08, 2012, 07:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Several posts about new sawyers bringing home new, or new to them, bandmills. Great, welcome to the world of sawdust in your pockets. BUT, there is a downside that neither the manufacturers nor the previous owners will make much effort to inform you about. Every sawmill comes with an infestation of invisible magic gremlins. You won't ever see them, but you will become very familiar with their handiwork.. They take great pleasure in causing angst and gnashing of teeth.  Examples
1..While you are looking the other way, they will raise the backstops just               enough to allow contact with a moving blade
2..While you are offbearing a board, they will raise a log clamp high enough to hit the blade, even though there was 2 inches of clearance on the previous cut.
3..Roll a log off the backside of the mill, even though you are certain the backstops were up.
4..Start the bandwheels to spinning when you try to back the blade out of a cut, causing the blade to jump off the wheels.
5..Magicaly insert one or more 20 penny spikes inside a log that prevously had no metal in. The gremlins seem to enjoy the zzinging sound that results. They frequently do this after you are halfway through a log and have just mounted a new blade.
6..After you have carefully measured a large log and ascertained that the guide rollers will barely clear, The log will swell at least 2 inches about halfway down the length of the log.  See item 4..
7..If you have hydraulic/electric toe rollers or boards, they will sneak around and raise one end of a cant, while you aren't looking of course.
8.. Gremlins can cause a perfectly square, straight cant to rise up off the middle bunker, making a board that's thick in the middle.
9.. They'll sneak a big chunk of bark under one edge of a cant, thereby ruining a least 2 boards...
10..Sneak in at night and steal at least half of your stickers. You'll never have enough...
11..When you need the last blade from the bottom of the box to finish a job, you find that someone snuck a worn-out dull blade in the bottom of the box.
12..Some of these gremlins seem to be somewhat brand specific. For instance the woodmizer variant seems to be good at loosening the tension on the band about halfway down the length of a log. I've heard that the norwood clan has been known to jump the mill head off the tracks..
13..They have a whole pocket full of tricks to make a blade climb and dive, thus making wavy lumber, some will even try to convince the sawyer, something's wrong with the mill.
14..Gremlins can, under some circumstances affect things away from the mill. That highly valuable 24 inch walnut log Joe homeowner wants to sell you, can morph into a crooked, knarly sweetgum while you negotiate a price.
15.. Mess with your head, convince you that if you just had ( insert --bigger mill, more power, hydraulics, skid steer, dry kiln, log deck, etc) everything would be just fine....

They never go away, just when you think you are wise to all the tricks and know what to watch for, listen for one to giggle and say ""Ahaa, gotcha"

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My mill came with none of these.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

However, if you have them....DO NOT FEED THEM SAWDUST......THEY WILL MULTIPLY!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

Mine came with all of them and some more that were not mentioned.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

snowshoveler

My belsaw came with all those little guys and more than a few bigger ones.
I fed them sawdust and water and a bunch of them swelled up and exploded...only to make more.
Oh well, I am having a lot of fun milling.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Bill Gaiche

Sounds like you have had too much fun. bg

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

#16.  When you take your tractor to the woods to cut some logs, they hitch a ride without you knowing, and when you are deep in the thick woods, they jump off and punch a hole in the tractor tire.

#17.  You get the tractor fixed and go back to the woods to fell some trees.  They sneak back on the tractor without you knowing and cause your saw to get bound up in a log that you are bucking, even though you did everything just right.  You just know that your spare saw is on the tractor, but unknown to you, they took it off and left it 2 miles back at your barn.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Piney, you never told us that you kept a diary.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 08, 2012, 08:41:26 PM
Piney, you never told us that you kept a diary.   :P

He saws lumber.....he does not milk cows. Geeeeeee Magic.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mikeb1079

nice one piney.  yes those are all true...though you forgot:  "perhaps if i welded a piece onto that it would work better"  :D :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

jimdad07

That all sounds very familiar with my carriage chain saw mill.  Seems I was getting a little of that tonight while milling a big cottonwood log.  Enjoyed reading the OP's post.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Delawhere Jack

Magic Gremlins -vs- working for lawyers............ hmmmmmmm....

That's a no brainer, gremlins are much easier to punt 45 yards!  ;D

Most, if not all of these "Magic Gremlins" you speak of are of our own making. I've always been my own harshest critic, so yeah.....I can deal with the Gremlins.

Besides, it can't be any worse than having the family car be a 1974 AMC Hornet when you're in high school...... or a GREMLIN.  :o

Delawhere Jack

18. The saw carriage that you thought you secured sufficiently to the bed makes a mad dash for the back of the rails as you unhitch the mill, causing your end to lurch up towards your frangible mandible. Then, after you've re-secured the carriage at what you though was the pivot point, it comes roaring at you full gallup, causing the hitch to come crashing down on your sneaker clad foot.......... :'(

DR Buck

Wow!   I'm glad you posted that Piney.   I thought it was just me and was afraid to mention it.  smiley_ignore Kind of like the voices in my head.  smiley_mad_crazy
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Chuck White

I've had a few of them visit my mill!  ::) >:(
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sigidi

#19 DanG it - I'm buyin a lucas ;D 8) ;D ;D 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

thecfarm

pineywood,lots of truth there. I can tell you have a few hours under your belt sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Todd

One of the best tricks the gremlins ever played on me was pushing the leading fence arm on my Baker down while turning a log so that as I made the cut and knew I was in the clear I cut into the rear fence arm!
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Buck

I wonder if gremlins is what gets my truck and tractor batteries when the mill is too close? ::)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

roger 4400

Hi, I'm a new sawyer and already met gremlin #3 and #4.......I'll be aware of all the others.... :D
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

opticsguy

Thanks for the checklist, 

I will start working on this as soon as possible!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Bogue Chitto

They also drain your water lube, dull your blade, drain your fuel tank, pile sawdust to high around mill, and{ remove your tools--oh that is my  boys that do that ::).}

locdogg

they bury my tools under sawdust so i can't find them.

Amelia Farms

I have met just about all of those gremlins face to face. Seems like the more I saw, the less I see of them. Good riddance! 8)
Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

Misfit

Seems they also make those without mills dream about having one. Then you wake up with your wife yelling "What do you mean, calling me a crooked flitch?"  :o
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Thank You Sponsors!