iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Willow Oak

Started by cspears188, December 25, 2015, 03:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cspears188

New to the world of saw milling. I know the willow oak is in the red oak family and is a fast growing tree. Is it good for anything other then fire wood? Is it worth sawing into lumber for anything?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Willow oak's growing characteristics include lots of branches, so, with the abundance of other red oaks that are clearer, willow oak is seldom used for lumber.  If you saw a log that produces No.2 Common or lower grade mainly, it is likely that it will be unprofitable.  We need upper grade to make a profit.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Kcwoodbutcher

Just dropped one today. The top will go for firewood and the trunk will be use to repair stalls in the barn. It is hard to find a clear board but it is a good utility lumber. I don't know what's happening but I've lost over a dozen in the last few years.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

WDH

The large-river-bottomland-willow oaks can be tall and clear boled up to 50' up the stem.  While not common, these large diameter willow oaks can make nice lumber for sure.  However, the average-run-of-the-mill willow oak, not so good.  Lots of low grade, like the Doc said.  It depends on the log.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tmbrcruiser

I live on the Delmarva Peninsula and willow oak can at times be large clean logs. We cut them into mat timbers and sort the grade from the green chain. In this area I would rate red oak in this order 1. Northern 2. Black 3. Southern 4. Willow 5. Scarlet 6. Pin 7. Water, so thinking in these terms willow isn't so bad.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

fishfighter

I had sawed them. All oaks in my area grow real tall were the first branches start at around 30'+ up with trees that have a base at the trunk around 24". I never tried to quarter sawed them yet. Been using them as framing lumber. Very heavy when wet.

WDH

ff,

Water oak, willow oak, and laurel oak are very common in your area.  People there call them pin oaks, but that is a misnomer.  Pin oak, Quercus palustris, is a very different red oak not found in LA. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishfighter

Yep, we always called water oaks , pin oak. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: fishfighter on December 26, 2015, 07:23:21 AM

I did to until I got it wrong on a test.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

Isnt a Pin oaK a scrubby little bumpy tree?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Same here.  Confusing at best, and I still do not have that category of Red Oaks sorted out.  We have some in my area that I have no idea what they are.  I am comfortable not knowing everything.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on December 26, 2015, 09:12:44 AM
Same here.  Confusing at best, and I still do not have that category of Red Oaks sorted out.  We have some in my area that I have no idea what they are.  I am comfortable not knowing everything.   ;D

Wow.... This gotta be a first. I know something about a tree the Magicman does not know.
Red oak is something we hace plenty of them in this area. But I have not cut one yet.
Kinda pinkesh inside,
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gspren

Isn't Pin Oak the wood that Pinocchio was carved out of? ;D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 26, 2015, 09:17:09 AM
Quote from: Magicman on December 26, 2015, 09:12:44 AMI am comfortable not knowing everything.
I know something about a tree the Magicman does not know.
If you know it all, then good for you.  There are 35 different Oak species listed in Mississippi.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on December 26, 2015, 09:27:53 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on December 26, 2015, 09:17:09 AM
Quote from: Magicman on December 26, 2015, 09:12:44 AMI am comfortable not knowing everything.
I know something about a tree the Magicman does not know.
If you know it all, then good for you.  There are 35 different Oak species listed in Mississippi.

Sure dont know it all.... Never will.
But I've learned plenty reading your post.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

:D  Yup, I had to get my "tree book" out and count because I did not remember the exact number.  There are several species, actually subspecies I guess, that we have here that are not found on my tree farm which is 45 miles away.

kelLOGg

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on December 25, 2015, 09:50:05 PM
I live on the Delmarva Peninsula and willow oak can at times be large clean logs. We cut them into mat timbers and sort the grade from the green chain. In this area I would rate red oak in this order 1. Northern 2. Black 3. Southern 4. Willow 5. Scarlet 6. Pin 7. Water, so thinking in these terms willow isn't so bad.

From a woodworking point of view, I have never met an oak I didn't like (yet). Even #7 on the list has turned out well for me.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 26, 2015, 09:09:00 AM
Isnt a Pin oaK a scrubby little bumpy tree?

No, that def'n could fit any number of species. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Such as the "Oak Brush" in Colorado, Wyoming, et al.

fishfighter

yep, some many different oaks in my parts too.

Was in the woods a couple days ago and I think I found a few cherry trees. Going to have to take a couple picture of the trunks to see if any of you can tell me different. They have a very very course bark and what I can see of leaves, the are oval shape, about 2 1/2"  long. Really don't know what they are, but sure know they are NOT oak. :D

WDH

You would like the @DanG method of tree ID.  It is either sweetgum or not sweetgum  :D. 

fishfighter

It's not gum for sure. Know them. ;D The bark is black. After googling a cherry tree, it sure is not that. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow. Rain in the hood now.

chickenchaser

WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

fishfighter

Thanks. Book mark the links.

Think I found out what it is. A Blackjack oak. Never saw them on my place before. The ones I am seeing are young trees, maybe 15 years old. The bark looks like this, but a little darker.

WDH

That is what I would say from the bark.  The leaf is spatulate and distinctive.  Wood is low grade with many small knots.

Thank You Sponsors!