iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aggravations of a portable sawyer

Started by Nomad, April 23, 2018, 06:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Two calls I got today that are all too common and exemplify exactly what I'm talking about.
     First guy called and asked if he and his dad could come watch me work 'cuz they're thinking about getting a hobby mill.  Sure, no problem.  Where are you?  Just outside Dallas. 
     Planning a road trip?  I'm in Jacksonville, Fl.  Huh?  NO!
     First line on my website states I'm in Jacksonville, Fl.  Ya got to get past that to get to my phone number.  I get a couple of calls a week from Texas.
     Next guy calls from a town about 120 miles away.  Says "I'm cutting down 10 pine trees.  How much to get them sawed into lumber?"
     I need a lot more info to even try to give you a W.A.G.
     You won't even give me an estimate?  Nevermind.  And the guy hung up on me like I was an idiot.
     This happens once or twice a week.  I'm gonna start telling them $1,000 per tree, if you want an estimate without more info.  That's after they're cut down and bucked to length.  At least, until I get my crystal ball back up and running.   
     Okay, rant over. ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

Something to be said for having a number of repeat business customers.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SawyerTed

People don't read....

Most folks think it costs X to saw up a log, any log no matter the size.  They think you should be able to multiply X times the number of logs to give them a price.  Sort of like buying lumber at the big box store.

I usually try to engage in a little conversation about the job, once they talk a little while I usually can get them to text a photo of the logs.  If they are wiling to send a text, they usually are willing to send some measurements.  Then I give them my rate, plus setup and blades.

I get a call or a text every few days similar to "How much to saw a maple log 28" in diameter and 10' long?"  I give them the board foot price, plus travel/setup cost and cost of blades if I hit metal."  If I get a reply it is either "when can you some?" Or "Oh that much?"

I had a job I went to look at, scaled the logs and gave an estimate.  The guy looked at me and did a mental calculation.  He said, " That's over $70 an hour."  I told him to hire anyone else that would do it for less.  He called back when I got home and scheduled me to saw.  They don't "get it" that they are hiring both a skilled operator AND a piece of heavy equipment. 

There's lots of "tire kickers" out there.....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

I like the calls I get about cutting down 8 or 10 big pine tree's. 
I can have them for free if I cut them out of the power lines and hall or chip the brush away.
Oh Don t forget grind the stumps too.
3 or 4 of them a month. 
Sorry not for me
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

Yeah, it's against company policy for me to cut trees down......
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sealark37

Or, the customer who rolls up at dusk on Friday with 6, 18" SYP logs, 9 feet long, on a single axle lawn mower trailer.  He needs 24 pieces of 4"x 4" timbers 12 feet long.  He will pay extra if you can do it now!    Pause, and think before you answer.   Regards, Clark 

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

You're doing good. They only offer me half the wood but still expect all the other things you listed.

Ted,

I really like that response about company policy on cutting trees. On rates - yeah it is renting/hiring a big piece of equipment with operator. Anybody rented a backhoe with operator lately?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

My insurance agent advised me to set some "company policies" on things like doing tree service work, hauling logs, logging operations etc.  I'm insured as a portable sawmill operation. 

I don't get many questions when I say company policy won't allow me to do something.  

WV Sawmiller

Ted,

Same here. I have good liability sawmill insurance but am not an arborist or insured to cut trees. When the trees are down and cut into logs bring them to me or I will come saw them on site if more economical and justified.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

nomad:
When you find someone that can recalibrate your crystal ball please send me information as mine has needed recalibration for close to 70 years.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

That and a lot of other junk is why I got out of it. Don't get me wrong, When I started back in 1987. Customers knew what they wanted. Today it's more difficult. Most customers have zero commences Or want you to work like a fool.

I do wish all of you portable sawyers the best of luck and learn to say no to working like a fool, You'll be happier in the long run. And when a customer tells his friends to call you, They will know what to expect.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Darrel

I give a good deal to nearby neighbors that live in this mostly off grid subdivision, no travel or setup fees.  

And no!  I will not except 420!  It was a 38" butt end tree length Pondarosa pine and all he had to offer me to slice it into 1x12 was 420. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Southside

Got a text the other day and the guy asked "How many boards do I need to buy for a 12' x 9' shed?"  Nothing else..... I had to wait to reply or else it may have come across wrong.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

"I want some of your boards that you throw away. Like free ones." I show him the slab pile and rejects pile and he says "No, they gotta be nicer than that. Im building a fence" Thats when I try real hard to break wind......
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

moosehunter

I've had all these issues and more, one that occurs on EVERY job and always makes me laugh is the log count. I mean how hard is it to count to 10. Or 14. Or 26?? I hear on the phone from the client "I have about 10 logs. About?  You can't count to 10 ? 
I stopped the other day to look at this Saturdays job because I was in the area. Client stated he had 30 logs , so I spent all of 5 or 6 seconds and counted , 26. 
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

terrifictimbersllc

The phone calls that begin....

I have these beautiful oaks, straight for must be 50 feet, was thinking it would be such a shame for it to just be cut up into firewood...

and end.....

"You're doing the right thing calling sawmills, but in my case I'm a portable sawmill service.  I don't buy logs, sell lumber, cut down trees, saw on shares, or make wooden wedding cakes. "
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

"They are 16" logs.......Oh you want me to measure across"?  ::)

There is a difference between diameter and circumference.   :P

On the phone she said that she wanted me to saw her logs into 2X12's.  She drove up and the tailgate on her truck was closed and there was nothing showing above the sides.   :o 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

Quote from: Southside logger on April 23, 2018, 11:06:39 PM
Got a text the other day and the guy asked "How many boards do I need to buy for a 12' x 9' shed?"  Nothing else..... I had to wait to reply or else it may have come across wrong.  
LOL.... I would have replied "all of them and you should hurry before the price increases due to metal tariffs."
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

DR_Buck

I don't get many of the type of calls identified in this thread.   I have lots of details on my web page to help them get answers including how to determine approximate cost before they call me.    I also have in bold red font that I do not cut down trees. 

www.gotlogs.biz

I do get the question about 12" wide boards from 10" logs though.   :D    That's when I explain how to do glue ups in the wood shop.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

taylorsmissbeehaven

Wooden wedding cakes.... now theres a niche
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 23, 2018, 08:16:09 PM
I like the calls I get about cutting down 8 or 10 big pine tree's.
I can have them for free if I cut them out of the power lines and hall or chip the brush away.
Oh Don t forget grind the stumps too.
3 or 4 of them a month.
Sorry not for me
When I get a call like that, I say: "I don't cut trees down!" "I cut them UP^"
:D
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, there are some aggravations when you get what are obvious, to us, really dumb calls but, in all honesty, most of my calls are from real nice, if sometime naive, questions and most of my customers are real nice people to deal with and we part as good friends.
Howard Green

alanh

I had enough of these type of calls and questions to make me quit the "portable" part of owning a sawmill before I even got a "portable " job. Its a hobby and I`ve found more than enough work without moving it. 

SawyerTed

On a refreshing note, today I got a call from a guy who measured both ends of his logs, used the Doyle scale to estimate his board feet, and specifically asked for 500 to 700 board feet to be quarter sawn.  He says he has 1400 bdft. He will tell me which logs he wants quarter sawn and which ones will be plain sawn.  His tractor is there to move logs.  He has the logs staged and wanted to know how soon I could come.

Monday....

Thank You Sponsors!