iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Rite Leg Bench

Started by WDH, June 21, 2016, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

Figured it mighta been something like that. WDH you did pretty good on the deal. You got Pickled Bologna, one heck of a good looking New York Strip dinner, Pecan Pie, and you went away with magic walnut?? Heck the trip to see the champion tree was worth the price of admission right there. Fun to see you guys with the friendship and bond that I can only assume the FF helped create. Makes a simple wood bench worth so much more when you know the whole story. Thanks for telling the rest of the story.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Highly Valuable Benches.  pc_smiley
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brad_bb

That Persimmon slab is extra nice Danny!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

WDH

Yes, that persimmon was some kind of fine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

I couldn't help myself, after the Project I came back and picked out a maple live edge slab and started on a bench.  I faced, planed, sanded and put on two coats of thinned linseed. With the oil base, are you using a wax or shellac or? topcoat to bring out the chatoyance?  I used a spritz if dewaxed shellac and it did ok but ....
Here's the oiled slab and below the part coated with Shellac

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Makes ya wanna take a bite out of it!

$300

WDH

That is an incredible slab.  Perfect for one of those benches. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Thanks, I just grabbed one off the pallet to experiment with, it was one of the leftovers the customers didn't pick.  Should have seen some of the real good ones, they sold fast.

I oiled and sanded it a little more, finally got the sheen going.  

My daughter and I mocked it up, trying to get the hang of leg spacing and such.  

I haven't put the screws in it yet.  
How sturdy are they without the bottom shelf board?  I bought some bronze lag screws similar to the ones I saw at Jakes place from Lowes, they look like they will have a very similar group.  I'll put an order in to Legrite for their screws, but didn't want to wait.  

And we also thought about adding a bottom board, so we started fiddling with that, trying different lengths and widths.  I'm not sure how to attach it to make strong enough to brace the top, maybe some hidden inserts and 3/4" bolts?  Here's a 4/4 curly maple off the rack we are playing with.  This one didn't pass the test, too narrow and too long.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

caveman

The finish on that bench of your is beautiful, Robert.  The gnarly edge is what I really like though.  Time to hit the road and head to work.  I suspect you will find an adequate shelf board somewhere in your inventory.
Kyle
Caveman

WDH

Can't believe that maple slab got passed up.  It is simply gorgeous. 

You do not need a shelf for stability.  If you decide not to go with a shelf, you can plug the two little holes on each leg where the shelf goes with black plastic plugs.  They have a round head and friction fit into the holes.  Tap them in with a mallet.  Makes for a more finished look because if you leave the shelf holes open it looks like something is missing.  Here is where to get the black plastic plugs.  You need to get the 5/16" ones. 

(5/16") Hole Plugs in white, black and more.

If you display your bench in your World Headquarters, it will create interest in your short slabs.  The short slabs from 4' to 5' become perfect for bench or coffee table tops, and showing your bench puts ideas in your customer's head.  Plus, it gives them a place to sit ;D.  You can seed a few of them around ;).

Bruno of NH

Mr. YH
Beautiful slab
Like Mr.WDH says would be a wonderful display piece .
Some folks need to see what can be done with the wood.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

Danny, Thanks for the link, I ordered some this morning.

I'm probably going to just hand rub wax the finish, that should make it pop nice, and I can fix it up as people sit on it.  I can let their rear end do the polishing, and I can get a feel for its sturdiness.  We have quite a few of these and other slabs, several hundred, bunch of different species, but if I can sell a few ready made, why not?  I thought I'd make a few of each, to show the customers the end product and get an idea of the price point.  Maybe even put the finishing steps on our webpage to help them, so I wanted to keep it simple.  Having an oiled, hand rubbed finish is easy, but sounds custom and expensive.  

I'll play with it a little more today and put it out this weekend to see what the customers think.

I saw on your posts that you like the crinkle finish better than the flat gloss?  
YellowHammerisms:

WDH

Yes, I do.  But the crinkle black is for interior use only.  The gloss can be used outside, although it would be a shame to put such a beautiful piece outside in the elements.

YellowHammer

It's done, it looks pretty good, I think so it will go out in the showroom tomorrow.   The legs are satisfyingly sturdy, as Danny said they would be, so now let's see how the customers like it. 
YellowHammerisms:

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I would build a hallway table out of that slab.
Thats way to pretty to be setting an ugly......well to be sitting on.
That grain is gorgeous!

customsawyer

You done fine on that bench. That is what the project is about. Picking each others brains as to what is working.
Yellowhammer I'm sure my commission check is in the mail for that great idea I gave you. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

I'll have to figger a percentage.  I'm not real good at math.  Let's see, uh, hmmm, I'm lost already.  I'll have to get back to you.  I'll email the check as soon as I get it worked out.  
YellowHammerisms:

samandothers

Fantastic slab and finish!  It may not make it through the weekend!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on April 20, 2018, 07:16:06 PM

Yellowhammer I'm sure my commission check is in the mail for that great idea I gave you. :D
Jake I can figure it for you and send Yellowhammer a bill....for a small fee of $300.

WDH

Just send one SGU.  That should cover it. 

Texas Ranger

looks like a three dimensional topographic map of the desert, but, outstanding!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

YellowHammer

Well, hold on, we had a little unexpected backfire today.  I'm still recovering, sipping on iced tea and and eating frozen pizza.  My legs are cramping, my arms hurt, and I think I'm getting out of the bench building business.  Too many harmful side effects.  

Let me explain.  I only had one person offer to buy the bench today for $500 and I refused, because I had set the price at $575.  Most of our slabs sell for between $180 and $300, so this was a fair price, I thought.  The lady who offered to buy was in the first wave of customers, at about 0930 this morning.  So I had placed the bench next to the slabs, some hard maple like from want it was made, and some ambrosia, and a few others.  I figured people could say "Wow" and sit or gawk on it while contemplating their purchases.  

It worked a little too well.  Way too well.  Here's me at about 2:00 pm, Martha snapped this photo.  I'm a little tuckered out.  

By the end of the day we hit a record high for slab sales.  We sold 28!  Yep, not a typo, 28!

I don't know if I'll sell the bench, because if I had, I wouldn't have had anything handy to sit on.  

YellowHammerisms:

Ianab

You have to admit that it's a good problem to have though..  ;)

Thought about selling the slabs and a set of Logrite legs as a "Bundle", 10% off?

Take it home and build a bench just like this one. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

That is exactly what I do.  Buy the legs, the slab, and save yourself some $.  Plus get the satisfaction of building your own.

$300 x 28 = 28 SGU's.

Andries

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 21, 2018, 11:19:27 PM. . .   I'm a little tuckered out  . . .  
I don't know if I'll sell the bench, because if I had, I wouldn't have had anything handy to sit on. 
Wow, you look completely totally whoomped in that picture! 
Ever think of engineering a slab bench that includes a backrest?
And maybe some armrests?
. . . and a reclining feature with a footrest? 
28 slabs sold? 
Well done. and yep, a bit of slab-recliner time might just feel right! 
;)  :D 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!