iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hope my experience with Wood-Mizer gets better

Started by Kingcha, April 17, 2013, 04:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I read the whole *DanG thing and my opinion has not changed one bit. You were blowing off here when you shouldn't have been.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sawdust Lover

Kingcha, I think we all read your full post and I understand your frustration. I also know we all need to vent sometimes as you said you were doing. Your mill will be up and running soon and you will soon be posting about how much you love your new Wood Mizer. Dont get upset with some of the post but people are very protective of the makers of there mills. We all have our ups and downs with them as you will soon learn. We all enjoy your posts and look forward to you getting your mill up and running. I have issues with Timberking sometimes as well but the amount of good things they have done for me outweight the bad and they are people too. The sponsers keep this forum up and we all need them.

WoodenHead

Just as a general comment, most companies would prefer not to have customer's equipment, materials, etc. in their yard/warehouse for long (particulary when it has been paid for  ;)).  It becomes a liability and takes up valuable space.  So, I can understand why it often happens that goods are shipped early.  Usually that works well for those of us who can hardly wait for the mill to arrive.  :)

I won't comment whether WM was right or wrong, but I will say that in my experience milling in general seldom works out the way you expect or want.  :)  Logs take longer than expected to saw, or turn out hollow or rotten inside when you needed the board feet from them.  Or they fall off the backside of the mill and you spend half a day trying to get them back on.  Or you waste time hacking away at bark and wood because your guide rollers won't quite clear when you thought they would (and the client is looking on).  So, once you pass by this obstacle, welcome to the world of many more!  ;)         

Cedarman

We probably average one LTL shipment every other day.  Many customers want it as soon as possible, but some want it a certain day or not on a certain day.  When we ship we have a tracking number and do our best to call or e-mail that tracking number  that evening or early the next morning because some shipments arrive the next day.  Once in a while things happen and we do not get the tracking number sent out as fast as we could.  Usually not a problem, but sometimes it is.  With just our little outfit, it is a lot of juggling with orders and calls.  My point is that sometimes things don't go as planned because of communication breakdown.  It happens.  But once the problem is recognized it cannot be undone only new plans made.  Plan B should now be in effect.   Focus should be on what can be done now.  It will work out and you will be a happy mill owner.
It could have been worse.  The mill could have been sent to Oregon by mistake like one of our shipments was and took a week and a half to get it undone. 

In the scheme of things it is an inconvenience, not a disaster. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

RedLeg

I've written and re-written several paragraphs regarding this thread... I'm not sure that they would be understood or appreciated in their context so I'll just leave it at I find several of the responses to Kingcha's post disappointing.
Leif
Retired U.S. Army
2010 Lumber Smith Elite and Track Kit
Shopsmith Mark 7 PowerPro

Kingcha

a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

NWP

Kingcha, I read the whole post and completely understand what you're saying.  I knew you were going to take a beating just reading the title no matter the story. ;D 
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Compensation

I drove to woodmizer to get my mill and just about rented a truck to haul it home since mine was broke. Turned out the mill he said was there, wasn't. A week later I drove back to pick up the mill. Once I got the first log on, I forgot about waiting that week. I hope you enjoy the hell out of that mill. I also hope you have a issue with it. That's when they impress you like nobody's business. Mine had a wobble if I forced it, they gave me a free "frozen" blade just to see if that helped. Turned out the ground shifted when I put that 28" red oak on it. Now my biggest concern is where the hell am I going to put this woodmizer bumper sticker.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

never finished

I'm a little confused about this topic. I'm mostly confused about why i'm posting on this one. I usualy use a little restraint and stay out of these. I believe there were a few good replies to this post, such as Cederman,and Sawdust lover. The post started with " I hope my experience with Wood-Mizer gets better". Not Wood-Mizer s...., or they ripped me off, or I hate Wood-Mizer, or so on. Kincha I too hope your experiences with Wood-Mizer improve, as with all the good things I've heard about them I'm sure it will. Hopefully we will all rember that Wood-Mizer is good, not God. The statements about the volume of business that Wood-Mizer does is proof enough that they have to make a mistake on rare ocasions. I agree that we should use restraint in complaints about Jeffs sponsors. We have all read too many posts about bad days, to think the only time we should post if the mill broke. Kincha, IMO you have been intentinoly insulted more than you insulted Wood-Mizer. If you ever do have another bad day or week. Mabey be a little more carefull about the sponsors, and hopefully we can be a little more considerate about our fellow members miss fortune. 

Clean Image

When I run into an issue during my dealings in life whether in my business or personal world, I usually bring it to my closest friend, my wife...she's always my best sounding board as we think very much alike. Just being able to share with her helps me see things a bit clearer. After that, if still needed, I can communicate more effectively to resolve the issue privately.
I think of this board as a place to ask questions, learn a lot and share a common bond and joy of all the positive things this board is and the people who post here are.

Kingcha

I will keep it short
Thank you Red, NWP, compensation & Never Finished for understanding. 
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

JimFX

Just like "never finished" I usually stay out of these however,

To me this seems like a golder opportunity for WM .... and a chance for free advertizing on top of it.
The man just spent $8000 and he is frustrated. If it were me I would say "oops we goofed up, but we're gonna fix it." Then I would fix it.  We all make mistakes it's how we handle it that customers remember.

and hopefully Kingcha's next post will be a glowing report of just how that happened ...........

barbender

I typed one long post last night, but I ended up deleting it. I'll just say that while I can understand Kingcha's frustration with the situation, and simple instructions not being followed. But coming on here to vent in the middle of the situation isn't appropriate, IMO. All your doing is spreading the problem around, and they may still get the whole situation straigtened out. Maybe an email or call to someone higher up im WM management would better serve you (I realize you tried to get ahold of a manager). Proverbs 29:11 is a bible verse I try to remember when I'm in a venting mood (no, I'm not calling you a fool but the principle applies I think ;)).
Too many irons in the fire

Paul_H

Quote from: Kingcha on April 17, 2013, 09:41:07 PM
Well I have to say I am more disappointed with responses here them I am with WM.   Do people read the whole post or stop after a sentence.

Quote from: Kingcha on April 18, 2013, 05:24:41 AM
I will keep it short
Thank you Red, NWP, compensation & Never Finished for understanding.

How many times have you read Jeff's responses to these types of titles on threads?Do you sense his disappointment in these type of threads,do you understand or care anything about his position?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

two-legged-sawmill

GENTLEMEN; An old saying"Sticks and Stones will break my bone, but names will never hurt me!" That is the most misconcieved statement ever made!
   My Son refused to become a sponsor for years because of statements made about Hud-son. Some were true, some were not, however I never saw him back away from trying to correct wrongs when the company or employee's failed to measure up.
   Over-all companies that run rough shodded over customers soon evaporate! I would say most are 99.9% pure, like the "Soup Ad goe's!"  Let it be Water over the Dam.
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

beenthere

I think Kingcha was looking for sympathy by posting this thread, and in some cases that is what he received.
However, not all responses had the warm fuzzies attached as there were those who suggested it is the reality of life.
Not passing out "warm, fuzzies" doesn't mean we don't understand the situation and wish it were better, nor that we were not sympathetic.

I sincerely wish Kingcha to be happy with his decision and big investment, but to relax a bit more as life goes on and there will be more trials and tribulations.

Best regards, Kingcha.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slider

Good answer Beenthere,and good luck kingha .I hope you enjoy your new mill .Like Compensation said when things start going wrong is when wm pay's off.They have helped me many times over the phone.
al glenn

sawmillhand

QuoteGENTLEMEN; An old saying"Sticks and Stones will break my bone, but names will never hurt me!" That is the most misconceived statement ever made!

Hahahahha  :D
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

qbilder

edited for length but still long  :-\

If I owned WM, I'd be embarrassed, guilty, and a little ticked as I read this thread. WM sponsors this site so their happy customers can have a place to talk other people into buying a WM. It works out well and makes them a lot of money. Indeed it made $8G's from the OP. However, they screwed up slightly and the OP came to vent his frustration to the very same people who talked him into buying a WM mill in the first place, on the site WM sponsors. For doing so he is demonized and ridiculed, not only by the people who told him to buy a WM but also by the site mod.

WoodMizer's job is to advertise to the OP and sell him a mill. They don't want their customer to be bashed for speaking out about their mistake. How does it help them? Especially when it happens on the site they pay for? If anything, it chases the customer away while telling the world that if anybody buys a WM and has a problem, they have to keep it quiet or else they'll be shunned. Not exactly a way to recruit new buyers  ::)

Being loyal to your sponsor is great. Being loyal to the brand you like is great. Being so loyal that you do them more harm than good is not so great. As an apparently huge sponsor of this site, I'd think the last thing WM wants is for their paying customers to be chased away or tore down on here. That should be pretty simple logic for most folks, but is lost on here. This is one of numerous threads where I see guys being bashed because they had a less than stellar experience with WM. Most generally it's a very minor issue that WM ALWAYS steps up in a gentlemanly manner to make right. It always ends in WM looking good for screwing up because they work so hard to please their customers. What doesn't look good on WM is how their customers are treated by the mob if they vent frustrations. It's disturbing to see, and looks horrible for WM, even though it's no direct fault of their own. Hey, I love this site & I have always enjoyed working with WM. But yall gotta stop this "immunity mob protection" thing for them. They're a business and as such make mistakes. It happens. They pay for this site because it makes money for them. When it chases customers away they will stop sponsoring and the site will die. None of us want that. So pipe it down & quit taking it personal when somebody vents. They're venting because WM made a mistake. It's not malicious or malevolent. It's the stress of dumping $8,000 and things not going as planned. Undoubtedly WM will make it right like always, and score another life long customer. But if I were a non member unfamiliar with WM or this site, reading this, I wouldn't become a member nor buy a WM. The folks on this site are better than this. Use your thinking caps  ???             
God bless our troops

runningmann

Sorry just now replying from WM, but I like what JimFX said, "oops we goofed up, but we're gonna fix it. Then I would fix it.  We all make mistakes it's how we handle it that customers remember."

Sorry for the mix up.  We are handling it ... we spoke with the customer and trucking firm early this AM and we have been assured it will be held and delivered (with liftgate service) when the customer is ready. EVERY order is important to us.  This one is too!  Hang in there.  We will deliver!
Keep pressing on toward the mark...

Chuck White

Looks like "All's well that ends well".

8)              8)               8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kingcha

Thanks to all that have sent private message and understanding messages here.

I got a call from WM this A.m.  He was going to call the shipping company and fix things, which he did.   

I then called the shipping company and they where very nice and helpful and asked me when I wanted it.  I am actually letting them deliver it on there schedule since they will already be out here on that day.

Yes I will post pic's when I get them, I know someone asked.

Again I am sorry for venting my frustration, though I will still defend the fact that I did not say anything bad about WM.    I am still learning the rules of the board but I have to say qbilder is right, if I had not already placed my order I might not have bought a WM. :(  Just out of spite, even though I do believe they have a great machine.

tyb525

I'll echo what others have said, Give WM a chance to make it right before you do your venting publicly. I'd think you'd want the same done if you were the business owners. I doubt you would like a customer making such a public statement before you had time to make it right. And we're talking about a fairly small issue here!

Just remember WM are people just like you
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Quoteor doing so he is demonized and ridiculed, not only by the people who told him to buy a WM but also by the site mod.

I am not the site mod sir, I am the founder and soul owner and I have a real problem with people that come on just to pith and moan rather than ask for help. If the original poster would have added "Help' or "What do I do?" to his post, it would have been deemed as a plea for help. It was Not, it was a vent, and posting purely to vent is not allowed. If you don't agree with that, leave and don't come back. You come on and really try to inflame things, when my soul purpose is to keep the forum a decent place. I've had a pretty good track record of that, and I do nothing differently today as I did before we had any sponsors.  The original poster made it perfectly clear with his latest comment about spite, how he conducts his actions.  Every time I have had to step into one of these, and you can check all the other instances. It was because the person was just trying to stir something up and not ask for help.   

You insinuate this site will die? Well its important enough for me to fight to make it decent and keep it that way no matter what the cost. Your words were designed to be inflammatory and cause more issues. I don't put up with that garbage, so I suggest you read the rules here and figure out how to stay a member.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!