iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best saw blade for white oak

Started by Buz saw, March 07, 2022, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buz saw

Hi I am new at saw milling bought a mill last year to saw some logs I took down a year ago.  The logs I have are red and white oak when I saw the red The boards come out strait and cut fast. When I saw the white it is slow and the boards get a hump in them at the start.The blades I have came with the saw they are 156x1.25x.035 not sure what they are made to cut . Looking for some suggestions on what kind of blade I should get I looked at some on line but don't know what I am looking at. Thanks

kelLOGg

Make sure your blade tension is correct. There is a lot on the FF about that. 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Southside

What is the hook angle of your bands and what saw / HP are you using?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

You don't mention the hook angle of the tooth face on your blades, nor sawmill make and hp. All of those make a difference. I've cut many thousands of board feet of white oak, 4° blades are what I use. Turbo 7° (7/39)  bands will work as well.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

Whenever I have got that hump on entry, it has been outboard blade guide out of adjustment. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rusticretreater

Blades that come with saws are usually general purpose blades as you may be cutting softwood, hardwoods or both.  You will read that folks buy all sorts of blades for different uses.

As WDH said, blade movement on contact with a log means the blade guides are out of adjustment or something is loose.

Of course, it is a matter of preference and sometimes a matter of the saw.  For some hook angles, you need a good amount of oomph to pull the blade through. 

Here is what WoodMizer says about selecting a blade profile.
https://woodmizer.com/us/Tips-and-How-To/how-to-choose-a-sawmill-blade-profile

D. Hook Angle - the number of degrees that the tooth face leans forward of 90 degrees. The hook angle should be chosen based on the type of wood you are sawing.

4° Sawmill Blades - Our lowest hook angle for sawing frozen, dense hardwoods and knotty softwoods.
7° Sawmill Blades - Solid, all-around profile with a good gullet capacity for higher horsepower (25HP+) sawing in hardwoods.
Turbo 7° Sawmill Blades - Only available from Wood-Mizer, this aggressive, high-performing profile is engineered specifically for extreme and exotic hardwoods. 
9° Sawmill Blades - Ideal blade for lower horsepower (24HP and below) sawing frozen wood, hardwood, and small diameter logs.
10° Sawmill Blades - Very popular all-purpose blade for sawing mixed hardwoods such as red oak, cherry, walnut, soft maple, and poplar.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Buz saw

The saw is made in china by Rima it is a 15 hp I don't know what the blade angle is that is the problem with buying from China. I set the saw up according to the directions and set the blade tension to the torque on the saw. Where is a good place to buy some new blades? If that is my problem maybe I can try one of the new blades I have I don't think I hit anything but maybe I did.

etd66ss

Quote from: Buz saw on March 08, 2022, 07:19:33 PM
The saw is made in china by Rima it is a 15 hp I don't know what the blade angle is that is the problem with buying from China. I set the saw up according to the directions and set the blade tension to the torque on the saw. Where is a good place to buy some new blades? If that is my problem maybe I can try one of the new blades I have I don't think I hit anything but maybe I did.
Rima sawmills look suspiciously very much like Woodland Mills machines looking online at them. Probably a lot of the same parts...

Buz saw

Yes I noticed the same thing I emailed woodland mills and there saws are made in china.

Thank You Sponsors!