iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing project 2019

Started by customsawyer, February 03, 2019, 11:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

First Watcha next PDFs, I think someone is breaking their own rules :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Jeff

Pdf documents using the document uploader is not breaking rules. Using pdf to post a photo is.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

customsawyer

Does anyone have anything they would like to see done at the project?  We normally have a little slow time at some point that we can demonstrate something else. If you do, speak up and we will see if we can make it happen. I personally like to turn ole Big Words loose on y'all and see the smoke come out of phones as you are searching google to see what he just said. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mossy Chariot

Here is an update of attendees as best I can discern from this thread.  Correct me if need be.
And, of course, remember the GUEST OF HONOR and MASTER EDUCATOR - WOODDOC.

No.HandleNameLocation
1Customsawyer RentzGA
2123maxbarsNathanKingsportTN
3Tom the SawyerTomEudoraKS
4Tom the SawyerJilaneEudoraKS
5Nomad JacksonvilleFL
6WDH PerryGA
7Raider Bill S.E.TN
8Wild Bill S.E.TN
7Southside Logger WilsonsVA
8Deese GradyAL
9DanG ChattahoocheeFL
10Slider SouthGA
11Slider - Cook SouthGA
12YellowHammer New MarketAL
13YellowHammerMarthaNew MarketAL
14Ga Mtn Man NorthGA
15Timfuller   
16Timfuller - brother   
17Sixacresand Gordon GA
18Sixacresand - 2 Gordon GA
19flatrock58 CarroltonGA
20flatrock58 - friend   
21doc Henderson HutchinsonKS
22aburnette165 ColumbusGA
23boardmaker SoutheastMO
24boardmaker wife SoutheastMO
25E-Tex BullardTX
26NomadShariJacksonvilleFL
27NomadBuddyJacksonvilleFL
28caveman LakelandFL
29cavemanJmooreLakelandFL
30DR_Buck FarmvilleVA
31Mossey ChariotTonyKnoxvilleTN
32Magicman BrookhavenMS
33MagicmanPatDBrookhavenMS
34gdaddy01RonnieAlthaFL
35gdaddy01KenneseAlthaFL
36stanwelchStanColdwaterMI
37fishpharmer  MS
38Just RightJRBarnesvilleGA
39Just RightAdelliBarnesvilleGA
40tule peak timber AguangaCA
41copperhead10DeanMorgantonNC
42copperhead10LynnMorgantonNC
43petefrombearswampPeteFinger LakesNY
44petefrombearswampLindaFinger LakesNY
45Gasawyer1ThomastonGA
46Gasawyer2ThomastonGA
47Poston WideheadPostonRock HillSC
48Poston WideheadKirkRock HillSC
49Lawg Dawg JeffersonSC
50C_KoonChrisProsperitySC
51terrifictimbersllc Mystic CT
52dbmoranBlaine  
53dbmoranMonica  
54Andries OakbankManitoba
55ellmoe Bushnell FL
56Mean DeanDeanRock HillSC
57K-guy BangorME
58JeffJeffHarrisonMI

I look forward to seeing the RRQS technique first hand, if possible.

Thank you all, for sharing your knowledge on this Forum!!!  I've been spending so much time reading that I'm not spending enough time sawing.  I look forward to learning more first hand and meeting you all!  
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

petefrom bearswamp

Mossey chariot Thanks for the list
Wow looking forward anxiously to seeing all of the attendees.
Too bad about Raider and Wild Bills tho.
I was going to bring him some excellent NYS extra sharp cheese like I did when we wintered in FL.
Also Doc, I downloaded the handout, but the 35 pages put a strain on my paper supply.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

customsawyer

Pete you can still bring the cheese.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

After a quick search I think we are missing K-guy and Jeff from what I saw. Maybe a couple of others.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Andries

Quote from: customsawyer on March 17, 2019, 11:32:06 AM
 . . . .  Does anyone have anything they would like to see done at the project?  We normally have a little slow time at some point that we can demonstrate something else. If you do, speak up and we will see if we can make it happen.  . . . 
Hey Jake - my brain has been froze for a few months and getting thawed out with friends will be a hoot. 
How about: "Three Logs, Three Sawyers"?
Here it is: Three less than perfect logs are milled by three savvy sawyers. 
As the log gets milled, the sawyer goes through their cutting decision process re: cut list, 'reading' the log, opening cut, positioning and cutting pattern, etc. 

Comments, suggestions and multi-syllabic hyphenated celluosular histologically big words should probably start flying through the air as the sawdust flies. 
Waddaya think?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

barney67 was bringing the handouts.  i so not see him on the list, also if he cannot get them mailed before the Friday meet, let me know and I am happy to do it as well so we have them in time for the conference.  i printed mine front and back, so it takes less paper.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

there has been a little interest in cutting and processing cookies.  i may be flying so I cannot bring my jig, as well, most of the questions came from "up north"  so not sure if anyone in this group is interested.  i am happy to give my 2 cents on ways to improve survival of the cookies.  (sorry MM if that should have gone to the Survivor thread)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Doc - cookies don't survive long around me, especially chocolate chip.     Oh wait, you are talking about something else.. :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

Quote from: doc henderson on March 17, 2019, 02:34:48 PM
there has been a little interest in cutting and processing cookies.  i may be flying so I cannot bring my jig, as well, most of the questions came from "up north"  so not sure if anyone in this group is interested.  i am happy to give my 2 cents on ways to improve survival of the cookies.  (sorry MM if that should have gone to the Survivor thread)
I may have a tip on cookies .
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Mossy Chariot

Post #178 updated to include K-guy and Jeff as attendees.  If someone can verify if barney67 is attending, I can add him as well.

I'm all for learning about cookies.  @doc henderson - you have probably posted info you your jig previously.  If so, provide a link.  If not, I'll learn in April.

Thanks!
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

Bearpau

Let me know what to bring
Wm LT 28 johne deere 5003 and a hard head.
Most of all a child of the King

Bearpau

I m guessing I will be 24 coming from Roopville Ga
Wm LT 28 johne deere 5003 and a hard head.
Most of all a child of the King

doc henderson

@Barney67 , trying to update the list, are you still planning on attending in April, just sat. or Friday also?

Barney67

Yes, please add me to list, attending Saturday only at this point.

Thanks
EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

YellowHammer

If we do the RRQS demo again, we should ask for a volunteer(s), who wants to closely participate, help measure and level the log, and identify the next rotation and cut (with Jake driving his mill, of course), especially folks who have tried it and had issues, or didn't quite get the hang of it, or want first person tutoring in front of a crowd, and I will hand the lumber crayon to them and see if they mark the correct cut line and why.  

Ought to be fun to get more folks involved with the actual decision making of the technique instead of just observing us.  

Depending on things, we can even do a purposeful no fleck miss cut and and correction, and I can explain how to adjust cant angle and chase max fleck on the wedge without wasting wood.  That is the real advantage of this technique, the ability to free style and tailor the heaviness of the fleck in the narrowest boards so they are maximized on the widest boards, instead of the conventional technique of quartersawing where the initial wide cuts are guesses and the amount of fleck is left to chance.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Mossy Chariot

I will gladly be one of the VOLUNTEERS (Go Vols!!!) in the RRQS demo.  Have not done it, have not yet tried it, so if YellowHammer can coach me through it, anyone should able to do it. 
I might be a little distracted if the Vols, by chance, make it to the final four.

Here is an updated attendees list.  

No.HandleNameLocation
1Customsawyer RentzGA
2123maxbarsNathanKingsportTN
3Tom the SawyerTomEudoraKS
4Tom the SawyerJilaneEudoraKS
5Nomad JacksonvilleFL
6WDH PerryGA
7Raider Bill S.E.TN
8Wild Bill S.E.TN
7Southside Logger WilsonsVA
8Deese GradyAL
9DanG ChattahoocheeFL
10Slider SouthGA
11Slider - Cook SouthGA
12YellowHammer New MarketAL
13YellowHammerMarthaNew MarketAL
14Ga Mtn Man NorthGA
15Timfuller   
16Timfuller - brother   
17Sixacresand Gordon GA
18Sixacresand - 2 Gordon GA
19flatrock58 CarroltonGA
20flatrock58 - friend   
21doc Henderson HutchinsonKS
22aburnette165 ColumbusGA
23boardmaker SoutheastMO
24boardmaker wife SoutheastMO
25E-Tex BullardTX
26NomadShariJacksonvilleFL
27NomadBuddyJacksonvilleFL
28caveman LakelandFL
29cavemanJmooreLakelandFL
30DR_Buck FarmvilleVA
31Mossey ChariotTonyKnoxvilleTN
32Magicman BrookhavenMS
33MagicmanPatDBrookhavenMS
34gdaddy01RonnieAlthaFL
35gdaddy01KenneseAlthaFL
36stanwelchStanColdwaterMI
37fishpharmer  MS
38Just RightJRBarnesvilleGA
39Just RightAdelliBarnesvilleGA
40tule peak timber AguangaCA
41copperhead10DeanMorgantonNC
42copperhead10LynnMorgantonNC
43petefrombearswampPeteFinger LakesNY
44petefrombearswampLindaFinger LakesNY
45Gasawyer1ThomastonGA
46Gasawyer2ThomastonGA
47Poston WideheadPostonRock HillSC
48Poston WideheadKirkRock HillSC
49Lawg Dawg JeffersonSC
50C_KoonChrisProsperitySC
51terrifictimbersllc Mystic CT
52dbmoranBlaine  
53dbmoranMonica  
54Andries OakbankManitoba
55ellmoe Bushnell FL
56Mean DeanDeanRock HillSC
57K-guy BangorME
58JeffJeffHarrisonMI
59barney67  FL
60Bearpau RoopvilleGA

Tony B

petefrom bearswamp

If my glaciated brain can remember it I WILL bring cheese.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

doc henderson

can anyone think of an easy way to tally who needs a copy provided vs print at home and bring.  We are the forestry forum and I hate to waste paper and add to expense if not needed.  I have printed my own copy and have it on my lap top so I do not need a copy of Gene's pdf.  should we PM if we need a copy @Barney67  or is there a better idea to estimate number of copies needed.  It is 16 pages both sides, so x 60 people starts to add up.

tule peak timber

I am bringing my own copy . Rob  Tule Peak Timber
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Barney67

Quote from: doc henderson on March 18, 2019, 12:52:09 PM
can anyone think of an easy way to tally who needs a copy provided vs print at home and bring.  We are the forestry forum and I hate to waste paper and add to expense if not needed.  I have printed my own copy and have it on my lap top so I do not need a copy of Gene's pdf.  should we PM if we need a copy @Barney67  or is there a better idea to estimate number of copies needed.  It is 16 pages both sides, so x 60 people starts to add up.
Doc, I filled up a medium flat rate box with 45 copies of the kiln class handout and mailed it out to Gene Friday, he should get it today or tomorrow. I can bring more if needed.
EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

doc henderson

problem solved, I bet at least 15 will bring there own.  I called my shipping place cause 18 x 60 is over 1,000 sheets or 2 reems of paper, @ 10.5 # and 32 dollars.  Thanks again Barney.

Hi All,
New member, though I've been lurking for a while now. We'll be in the area and would love to join you for both days. 1 person (Ken) for the training. We will arrive in a self-contained camper van. My wife's name is Laura. Hoping we can park overnight on site. 

Thanks. Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning a few things too.
Ken
Ken
Lowell, Michigan

Thank You Sponsors!