iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarder tracks or chains?

Started by deastman, July 15, 2012, 09:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

Bought my first forwarder, an 8 wheel  Cat that came with only a set of tracks on the rear bogies. Was thinking about taking the tracks off for the summer and putting on a couple sets of tire chains. Any suggestions where i should put them? Should both sets go on the rear bogies or should one set go on the rear and one set on the front?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

snowstorm

it depends on the ground you are working if its not to bad i take the tracks off till cold weather

Gary_C

Ya, it all depends on what you are doing. The tracks will give you more flotation on soft ground and usually prevent you from making deep ruts in wet spots. The chains are just for traction.

I've got a six wheeled forwarder and usually run the tracks year around. But they are off now because I've had to occasionally cross a blacktop road.

I am thinking of putting them back on now because I have to move to a job where there are two low and wet areas just on either side of the landing.

I have a set of chains for the front but I've never had them on. They will help mostly for steering on hard packed snow or ice. I've needed them at times but never gone thru the trouble of putting them on.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jamie_C

Put one set of chains on the front and one set on the back. If you try to put chains on all 4 rear tires you will have nothing but a nightmare of problems.

Keeping tracks on all year also helps keep tire wear down to a minimum. Replacing tires can get quite expensive when compared to replacing tracks every few years. From my experience any 6 or 8 wheel drive forwarder that is operated without tracks on the back will eat up tires at an unbelievable rate, the ride is a lot rougher and the traction is limited.

1270d

We almost always have the rear tracked up and occasionally one set of chains on the front for steering assist on ice etc. 
Besides the benefits mentioned by the others, tracks on the rear improve ride quality quite a bit, therefore reducing strain on the frame, stakes, center section etc.

Good luck

Jamie_C

Quote from: 1270d on July 16, 2012, 12:37:49 PM
We almost always have the rear tracked up and occasionally one set of chains on the front for steering assist on ice etc. 
Besides the benefits mentioned by the others, tracks on the rear improve ride quality quite a bit, therefore reducing strain on the frame, stakes, center section etc.

Good luck

One of the guys i used to run forwarders for had a 6 wheel John Deere forwarder that only ran chains on the rear end ... that machine was the roughest riding machine and was the only one of 3 forwarders that would steadily have problems with the bolts holding the bogies in place either coming loose or snapping off.

Maine372

i havent run one but the place i worked that had one ran tracks on the back chains on the second 'axle' and the front tires bare. never bothered switching things around.

Thank You Sponsors!